Brick hole filler to drill again

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2021 12:53 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2021
10 posts
2 upvotes

Brick hole filler to drill again

I was putting up new house numbers and, with my best attempt keeping the templates leveled, I messed up one number and it needs to be raised slightly (measure twice, drill one someone once told me Face With Tears Of Joy)

What would be the best caulk type substance to fill a brick hole so that it can be redrilled? The weight of the numbers are minimal.
Last edited by scottyh26 on May 1st, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3001 posts
1750 upvotes
Mississauga
scottyh26 wrote: I was putting up new house numbers and, with my best attempt keeping the templates leveled, I messed up one number and it needs to be raised slightly.

What would be the best caulk type substance to fill a brick hole so that it can be redrilled? The weight of the numbers are minimal.
Mortal repair tubes. Costs under 10$ a tube at Home Depot.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1737 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
Mortar mixed with some of the brick dust from your drilling will make a near unnoticeable patch.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2021
10 posts
2 upvotes
Menthol wrote: You would not be able to 3mm from the present hole, it will turn into a 9mm hole. (if brick)
But I want to fill the existing hole with something no that will dry hard. I am not leaving the existing hole bare, obviously this will not work.

Will construction adhesives do the trick? The “patched” hole will be covered by the number so asthmatics are not so much an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3535 upvotes
Ottawa
scottyh26 wrote: But I want to fill the existing hole with something no that will dry hard. I am not leaving the existing hole bare, obviously this will not work.

Will construction adhesives do the trick? The “patched” hole will be covered by the number so asthmatics are not so much an issue.
As the previous poster suggests, go with mortar - it hardens. That mortar patch in those caulking tubes is okay but takes forever to dry in a deeper hole (for redrilling).

Since it will be hidden, a non-mortar alternative could be a wooden dowel glued into the hole with a good exterior adhesive (like PL).

Presuming that "asthmatics" was autocorrected and you meant "aesthetics"
Nov 24, 2007
270 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Will the hole be covered up by the number? If so, drill out the hole to where u want it, put a wood shim/dowel/splinter of wood to fill the hole and screw in desired spot.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3001 posts
1750 upvotes
Mississauga
scottyh26 wrote: Something like this? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sakret ... 1000684902

Do these cure hard? The existing hole is 6mm, I'll need to drill about 3mm up, so a portion of the sealant will get drilled again.
Yes. I used that to fill a couple of holes. It dries to a gray color. However, I don't think it will be hard enough to be used again for driling. May be add some tiny brick dust to this tube and use that.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1739 posts
829 upvotes
GTA
Try this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lepage ... 1000150681

I bought a tube to fix some holes in my plaster walls that two of the drywall anchors fell out of. Contractor used drywall anchors for curtain rods and they fell right out and now I have a large gaping hole that I need to fill back in before I use a longer concrete screws to bolt to the brick behind the plaster.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1728 posts
1903 upvotes
West GTA
If it's hidden, the easiest way is just to expand the hole upwards, fill it with exterior silicone caulking and immediately jam the numbers in. Will hold up fine for decades. I did this without issue, it's easy.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1737 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
I'll chime in again - I think this is being WAY OVERCOMPLICATED.

The solution is simple - if you need something that sets up hard and are going to re-drill it for some sort of anchor (tapcon/concrete anchor), use a cement product.

Buy a small tub of ready-mix mortar (less than $10, just add water) and pack it in there. You can finish the surface with a putty knife/drywall knife. It should take a day or less to dry, depending on the portland cement content of whatever you buy - but it will set up hard either way. I'd give it a day and then you can re-drill.