Expired Hot Deals

The Brick

The Brick (in store): MONSTER HDMI Cable (Q4HDMI) 4 ft., $5

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2014 2:58 pm
Tags:
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2011
236 posts
228 upvotes
Lots of comparisons have been made between high end HDMI cables and dollar store ones and no difference was noted.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2011
3892 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 24th, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
On the subject of Monster ... it doesn't guarantee quality. :(

I've got a set of Monster HDTV component cables. For two years, I though the colour on my TV was going bad (cheap TV). (Purchased from Factory Direct)

Then after I moved, I decided to hookup using another set of component cables ... colour was pefect!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7671 posts
5172 upvotes
Canada
smartcdn wrote:
The funny thing is people will go through big troubles just to get really high end equipment and then go cheap on cables. Anyone hear of the phrase "weakest link"?
You can't be serious.........
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6175 posts
2997 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I have ran into a few problems with the dollar store cables. Devices wouldn't display video with them but worked ok when I swapped the cables to monoprce, even though the dollar store cables worked ok with other devices. IMO 2 bucks difference is no difference, that is if the monster cables are as good as monoprice. You can't return items to the dollar store either if they should not work for you.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 10, 2006
923 posts
66 upvotes
Halifax
Friends don't let friends shop at The Brick or buy Monster.

Word.
Crowbar for a foot. Crowbarfoot.
Member
Sep 19, 2009
335 posts
209 upvotes
Anyone who claims hdmi cables differ in "performance quality" are snake oil salesmen, an insult to the RFD community. HDMI cables are either duds or they work as intended and perform the same as any other hdmi cable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: I have ran into a few problems with the dollar store cables. Devices wouldn't display video with them but worked ok when I swapped the cables to monoprce, even though the dollar store cables worked ok with other devices. IMO 2 bucks difference is no difference, that is if the monster cables are as good as monoprice. You can't return items to the dollar store either if they should not work for you.
Yes, it's too bad those posted too quickly. I would not buy monster cables at their high prices. I don't need hdmi cables but thought some people on rfd might need some. Since they are $5 each (basically dollarama pricing) why not get brand name cables??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
Crowbarfoot wrote: Friends don't let friends shop at The Brick or buy Monster.

Word.
You forgot to finish: Unless the cables are $5 or less.
Member
User avatar
Jan 31, 2011
416 posts
111 upvotes
smartcdn wrote: Yes, it's too bad those posted too quickly. I would not buy monster cables at their high prices. I don't need hdmi cables but thought some people on rfd might need some. Since they are $5 each (basically dollarama pricing) why not get brand name cables??
Maybe some people don't want to encourage a company that fools customers into thinking that they need a $60+ cable? Some of their marketing gimmicks are disgraceful and it's sad to see some people fall for it. A simple Google search will you give you a ton of tests where a $2 cable and $60 cable are compared. No difference is noticed.
Member
Dec 4, 2007
249 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Based on personal experience I have found that there are occasionally differences in cable quality. Some (maybe 2 out of the 10 that I own) will intermittently cut out for half a second, which renders them useless. Assuming these Monster cables are guaranteed to be free from defects like these (or have an easy replacement process), I wouldn't mind paying $5 for them.
Member
May 17, 2008
327 posts
22 upvotes
Kingston
I just order Monoprice HDMI cables....I get like 10 at a time which makes them about $3 each shipped. They are very sturdy and heavy duty.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6175 posts
2997 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Don't know if you would get monoprice cables at $3 each shipped anymore though. $4 perhaps if you buy them from prime cables.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309

Top