Tags:
[OP]
Oct 6, 2015
47 posts
17 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

The Brick: Tent Sale

Hello RFD's!

Before I ask my question, I want to point out a few things that I know already about the Brick:

-I know all their furniture has a markup
-I know some people have had success with negotiating prices
-I know their warranty is how they mainly make their money
-I live in Hamilton, ON and I know about Parks Furniture but they didn't have what we wanted (Part of the reason why we got this couch is because the cat doesn't like this faux suede material and won't tear it apart)

That being said, I ended up getting this sleeper sectional for a decent price. $1199. https://www.thebrick.com/products/drake ... bed-cement I did as much research as I could on my phone before buying and found that $1199 was the cheapest price it's ever been and it was only $1199 one other time and that was on Boxing Day so basically I was getting their Boxing Day price. I tried negotiating the price but the lady smiled and assured me she could not go any lower because this was already so low because it was the "Tent" sale. I also ended up getting the 5 year warranty on it. The lady told me the manufacturer's 1 year warranty essentially covers next to nothing and their warranty covers accidental rips/cuts, seam separation, failed stitching, stains including human and pet stains, etc. We are getting a puppy in July and we have a cat already.

My questions are:

-Is the warranty really worth it? If we don't use the warranty at all, we get the money back in store credit. It cost $195 for a 5 year warranty that essentially covers everything which I thought was a little high but since we have pets we figured it would be worth it.
-From your experience if you have shopped at the Brick, were you successful in negotiating the price even when they said it was the lowest they could go? If so, what techniques did you use to get a lower price?
-I have found when researching that Furniture.ca has the same sectional for the same price but with free delivery. Their "Tent" sale which was one day only gave us delivery at half off ($44.98). Would it be worth it to cancel the order with the Brick and get it through Furniture.ca to save $45? Or if I called the Brick and mentioned this, would they match it and discount the entire delivery charge?

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Thank you.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2686 upvotes
London
Richierich905 wrote:

-Is the warranty really worth it?
Does any of this sound familiar?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.2686015
Laurin Clarke said she bought The Brick’s 5 Year Blanket Warranty because she was told she would be covered if anything went wrong with her new leather furniture.

But when she tried to get repair work done, she said the retailer wouldn’t fix what she calls obvious flaws.

She said the salesman persuaded her to pay an extra $300 for the extended warranty because it would buy her peace of mind.

“He said this is really good quality leather, but if anything at all happens, ‘even if you spill nail polish, food stains, he said anything — rips, tears, seams, structural damage — you are covered.’ He made it sound so wonderful.”
And read these threads.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/brick-h ... s-2079132/
brick-warranty-scam-869724/
Mar 20, 2011
301 posts
211 upvotes
Langley, BC
Sales staff always get big kickbacks from warranty sales and credit card signups, and they will often exaggerate or even lie about the details to secure the sale. Always keep this in mind. If it's not written down anywhere in the warranty terms, you're not covered, and often you're not given the time to read the warranty agreement in the store.
Feb 18, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
Victoria
I might be the only one but i actually had a great experience with the Brick. I’m pretty sure i have the exact same leather couch as in that story and mine also started to sag in the one place i aleays sit. No rips or anything but it sags and the frame is bent a bit so its hard to close the foot rest on the one side.
I paid about $2000 for it and after 5 years it had sagged so i called the Brick and they sent someone t look at it.
Couple days later i got a call and they said they would fix it but they’d need it for about 3 weeks. I said i wasnt really happy about that length of time so they said theyd see if there were any other options and get back to me.
Next day they called and offered me $1500 credit. I took it and ran. Used it to buy a new bed and the couch is now 11 years old and i still have it!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28629 posts
1309 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Horsey2345 wrote: I paid about $2000....Next day they called and offered me $1500 credit.....
in what world would anyone believe this story?
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15465 posts
12664 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The Brick Tent Sale...

Only thing worthwhile buying here would be the tent
And it’s not for sale

Honestly bud, ya need to do some research
RFD has plenty of posts on many issues
Bait & Switch, undeliverables, delivered but damaged, faulty merchandise, not honouring the warranty
Or GOOGLE you’ll find tons of stories / info
Media coverage, consumer advocates, court cases etc *

Enough to say...
Shopping at the Brick will make you sick

They stay in Biz because everyday In Canada there are people setting up house and buying furniture for the first time
And like you they see the ads on tv
And hear about the great deals
And get swayed by the smooth talking salesperson
And end up buying not just 1 item ... but a houseful

But it’s also for many, the ONE & ONLY TIME they’ll ever shop there
Having ended up burned by the experience down the road

But The Brick DONT CARE
Tomorrow is another day, and another storeful of newbies to sell to

* Even the Govt of Canada knows The Brick has been flying under the radar treating their Customers unfairly
https://business.financialpost.com/news ... -the-brick

EDIT / ADD
Old fart takeaway
Don’t buy everything at one place
Shop around.
Even good old ikea stuff holds up better than that which you see at many discount retailers
Quality is worth more in the long run than quantity
So save up and buy good stuff
Or heck, buy good used stuff
A good source of both used & new stuff, and buying does good at the same time are the Habitat for Humanity Restores
Decent prices.
One of our kids got an entire bedroom set of furniture, solid wood for a great price
It was a hotel who had donated it, cause they were changing up all their rooms
Pricing reflected that, cuz the Restore had literally 100s of the same dressers & night tables etc they were trying to sell
I’ve seen all sorts at the Restore, both people & furniture / appliances / homegoods / Reno supplies
It can be a gold mine no matter what your project is
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 3rd, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2015
47 posts
17 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Horsey2345 wrote: I might be the only one but i actually had a great experience with the Brick. I’m pretty sure i have the exact same leather couch as in that story and mine also started to sag in the one place i aleays sit. No rips or anything but it sags and the frame is bent a bit so its hard to close the foot rest on the one side.
I paid about $2000 for it and after 5 years it had sagged so i called the Brick and they sent someone t look at it.
Couple days later i got a call and they said they would fix it but they’d need it for about 3 weeks. I said i wasnt really happy about that length of time so they said theyd see if there were any other options and get back to me.
Next day they called and offered me $1500 credit. I took it and ran. Used it to buy a new bed and the couch is now 11 years old and i still have it!
Thanks Horsey for your reply! That's good to know. I've only heard horror stories so far.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2015
47 posts
17 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
PointsHubby wrote: The Brick Tent Sale...

Only thing worthwhile buying here would be the tent
And it’s not for sale

Honestly bud, ya need to do some research
RFD has plenty of posts on many issues
Bait & Switch, undeliverables, delivered but damaged, faulty merchandise, not honouring the warranty
Or GOOGLE you’ll find tons of stories / info
Media coverage, consumer advocates, court cases etc *

Enough to say...
Shopping at the Brick will make you sick

They stay in Biz because everyday In Canada there are people setting up house and buying furniture for the first time
And like you they see the ads on tv
And hear about the great deals
And get swayed by the smooth talking salesperson
And end up buying not just 1 item ... but a houseful

But it’s also for many, the ONE & ONLY TIME they’ll ever shop there
Having ended up burned by the experience down the road

But The Brick DONT CARE
Tomorrow is another day, and another storeful of newbies to sell to

* Even the Govt of Canada knows The Brick has been flying under the radar treating their Customers unfairly
https://business.financialpost.com/news ... -the-brick
I appreciate your reply! Here's my dilemma. Park's furniture (a very reputable furniture store in Hamilton, ON with RFD's), has basically the same type of sectional after visiting the store at noon today.

They can beat the Brick's price by $50 but we need 12 month financing which they charge $180 for and Park's charges $99 for delivery while the Brick was only $45 for delivery. So when it's all said and done, we're essentially paying the same price. We either:

1. Buy from Park's pay a $99 delivery fee and only get a 1 year warranty.
2. Buy from the Brick and supposedly get a 5 year warranty.

The Park's rep said the furniture comes from containers so they are mass produced. The quality would be the same as what the Brick would sell.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15465 posts
12664 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Richierich905 wrote: I appreciate your reply! Here's my dilemma. Park's furniture (a very reputable furniture store in Hamilton, ON with RFD's), has basically the same type of sectional after visiting the store at noon today.

They can beat the Brick's price by $50 but we need 12 month financing which they charge $180 for and Park's charges $99 for delivery while the Brick was only $45 for delivery. So when it's all said and done, we're essentially paying the same price. We either:

1. Buy from Park's pay a $99 delivery fee and only get a 1 year warranty.

The Park's rep said the furniture comes from containers so they are mass produced. The quality would be the same as what the Brick would sell.
Lol maybe you need to read my post again
No dilemma that I can see

The Warranty is only as good as long as someone honours it

As to financing...
Again, my Reply covered that too

The Brick was in doo doo with the Govt because of misleading their Customers

Sounds to me like you are being swayed here by those smooth talking sales people
And all their promises that just so happen to be :rolleyes:
CUSTOMIZED TO YOUR NEEDS
Why would that be the case, gotta wonder

Ya know who else you should be looking at
Costco
Awesome warranty, and decent merchandise

FINANCING ... in store financing tends to have a lot of hoops to jump thru, although it may not appear that way at first glance
For one thing the interest rates are usually higher
And there are strict rules surrounding payments
Including paying it off
So if it says Interest Free for 1 year... make sure you understand WHEN that is
What actual Day in which Month
Day 364 ...or is it the last day of the month previous
And is there a PENALTY for paying it off
(Who knew ... but sometimes it exits)
And what of financing costs / admin fees etc
Honestly most times you’ll come out further ahead just getting a bank loan vs these crazy financing schemes
Feb 18, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
Victoria
bubble.tea wrote: in what world would anyone believe this story?
Because its true. What do i have to gain by making it up?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2686 upvotes
London
Horsey2345 wrote: Because its true. What do i have to gain by making it up?
We live in a world where countries spread disinformation during election campaigns, people get sued for writing bad reviews, yelp will remove negative reviews, a BBB rating is pretty much worthless, fake reviews are all over Amazon, and people get contacted on RFD to shill deals. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that any retailer out there would employ an image consultant to cultivate accounts and sway public discussion favorably about their clients? Because it can, and does happen regularly on forums everywhere.
Feb 18, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
Victoria
Ottomaddox wrote: We live in a world where countries spread disinformation during election campaigns, people get sued for writing bad reviews, yelp will remove negative reviews, a BBB rating is pretty much worthless, fake reviews are all over Amazon, and people get contacted on RFD to shill deals. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that any retailer out there would employ an image consultant to cultivate accounts and sway public discussion favorably about their clients? Because it can, and does happen regularly on forums everywhere.
Yea, well i work in the ICU so like i said, what do i have to gain?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20035 posts
4595 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
The Brick is just scammers. I have never had a good experience with them, and also had significant damage done to my wood floor by their crummy installers who dragged the washer / dryer in a rush.
Richierich905 wrote: 1. Buy from Park's pay a $99 delivery fee and only get a 1 year warranty.
You think The Brick will actually honour their warranty? That's cute... Face With Tears Of Joy
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28629 posts
1309 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Horsey2345 wrote: Yea, well i work in the ICU so like i said, what do i have to gain?
...a great PR defense ;). It must be true!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Feb 18, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
Victoria
bubble.tea wrote: ...a great PR defense ;). It must be true!
Somebody had a good experience with the Brick, it must not be true. Lol