• Jul 25th, 2020 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1492 upvotes
Ontario

Briggs & Stratton files for bankruptcy protection

Briggs & Stratton files for bankruptcy protection, plans to sell assets and continue operating.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 470618002/

Doesn't surprise me, their products and sales have been on a downward spiral for years now :/
·Ï¢årµ§·
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11951 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
They are China engines same as all the other China engines. My buddy said some of the other Chinese engines manufacturers did a better job of copying their old stuff than they are doing today.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9972 posts
7903 upvotes
Kootenays
Whew...glad I got my $460 in class action dollars before they went under.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1051 posts
282 upvotes
smacd wrote: Whew...glad I got my $460 in class action dollars before they went under.
For what?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7531 posts
8096 upvotes
Vancouver
rdx wrote: wow, didn't know, otherwise I would have joined it.....
I got $162 refund on a 1990s lawnmower that probably cost about $250 because they overstated the horsepower. But mine has a Tecumseh engine, not Briggs & Stratton, so I didn't contribute to their bankruptcy!

The very first engine I ever disassembled and reassembled was a Briggs & Stratton, in my Power Mechanics class. Now just another old brand name vanishing into history...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9690 posts
1145 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I got $162 refund on a 1990s lawnmower that probably cost about $250 because they overstated the horsepower. But mine has a Tecumseh engine, not Briggs & Stratton, so I didn't contribute to their bankruptcy!

The very first engine I ever disassembled and reassembled was a Briggs & Stratton, in my Power Mechanics class. Now just another old brand name vanishing into history...
Good for you, I think mine was bought in 2010. Has been working fine. I guess it will be hard to find replacement parts in the future when it is needed. So sad that many old brands can't survive the impact from this pandemic.....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9972 posts
7903 upvotes
Kootenays
rdx wrote: Good for you, I think mine was bought in 2010. Has been working fine. I guess it will be hard to find replacement parts in the future when it is needed. So sad that many old brands can't survive the impact from this pandemic.....
Parts should be fine. "As part of the bankruptcy, KPS Capital Partners LP, a New York private equity firm, agreed to buy all of Briggs’ assets for approximately $550 million."
"KPS intends to grow the new Briggs & Stratton aggressively through strategic acquisitions. The new Briggs & Stratton will be conservatively capitalized and not encumbered by its predecessor's significant liabilities," Michael Psaros, co-managing partner of KPS, said in a statement.

The private equity firm also said it has entered into an agreement in principle with the United Steelworkers of America for a new collective bargaining agreement for Briggs hourly employees represented by the union in the Milwaukee area. The agreement would become effective upon completion of the acquisition and reorganization."
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11951 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
smacd wrote: Parts should be fine.
Most chinese engines are just copies of B&S engines so their parts will fit. My Kid’s Baja 90 is an old Honda engine and parts fit back and forth.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
rdx wrote: Good for you, I think mine was bought in 2010. Has been working fine. I guess it will be hard to find replacement parts in the future when it is needed. So sad that many old brands can't survive the impact from this pandemic.....
The basic design is so similar and lots of clones out there, there won't be a problem finding compatible parts, even if someone buys up all their intellectual property.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7804 posts
6258 upvotes
Ottawa
Sad to see this happen. They made some very good small engines. I am not worried about parts in the future as there are enough B&S engines out there to represent a good market for anybody who wants to buy the dies and documentation - they would certainly make money.

I currently have three B&S engines in my outdoor equipment (PW, snowblower, and lawn tractor) and they have been bullet-proof and all are between 10 and 20 years old.