• May 16th, 2022 1:42 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2006
679 posts
14 upvotes
TORONTO

Bringing back alcohol mexico to canada

Hi
I’m currently in Mexico and saw limits that we are allowed 1.14 litre of Alcohol duty free. Does that mean purchase at the departing airport here? What if I bought some at a store here and put it in my checked bag, I saw on the gc website that upto 5L are allowed but not sure If that is subject to duty free too upon arrival. I find the duty fee shops pricey when buying local here. It’s my first time and my folks wanted a nice couple of whisky and brandy for example
Much thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1579 posts
307 upvotes
You can buy it anywhere, CBSA doesn’t care where you bought it from. Depending on which Mexican airport, keep the receipts and don’t open/tamper with the packaging as Mexican exit customs may check.

1.14 litres hard alcohol or 5 litres of wine duty free into Canada. Not both and especially not 5 litres of hard alcohol. You can legally bring in as much as you want (Personal use) and pay taxes on it. It’s not usually worth it as the tax is usually in the $40-100 per bottle range.

Cancun airport duty free is pricey now and selection of tequila has decreased. La Europea is the recommend store in Cancun.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1579 posts
937 upvotes
TORONTO
Kenneth wrote: 1.14 litres hard alcohol or 5 litres of wine duty free into Canada.
I am curious where you and OP are finding this info, the duty free booze limits haven't changed in a long time:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... .html#_s8f

You can bring back 1.5 litres of wine OR 1.14 litres of hard alcohol OR 8.5 litres of beer duty free, if you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more.
Jul 7, 2019
276 posts
375 upvotes
Oilers Country
crosswire wrote: Hi
I’m currently in Mexico and saw limits that we are allowed 1.14 litre of Alcohol duty free. Does that mean purchase at the departing airport here? What if I bought some at a store here and put it in my checked bag, I saw on the gc website that upto 5L are allowed but not sure If that is subject to duty free too upon arrival. I find the duty fee shops pricey when buying local here. It’s my first time and my folks wanted a nice couple of whisky and brandy for example
Much thanks
We bring back alcohol from overseas all the time, as there is lots of great stuff--Takai (Ghana), Kvint (Transnistria), Vana Tallinn (Estonia), etc.--that is usually next to impossible to get at home. Yes, there are limits to what you can bring back duty-free but we have found that CBSA is fairly flexible so long as you declare everything. We've been over our limit by a few litres each on many trips and only once had to pay duty (at YYZ). Interestingly, the customs officers often want to see a printout of your flight itinerary to verify where you flew, for how long and where you are arriving from (boarding passes don't count, they insisted on itinerary printouts).

We never buy alcohol at duty-free airport shops: the savings ain't that great, the selection is lousy and you can't get any of the really unique stuff (I can buy Johnnie Walker anywhere: if I'm in, say, West Africa I want to bring back something local and distinctive.) We've found that even at supermarkets and liquor stores in many foreign countries the prices can be quite good. Not every country socks drinkers with tax the way Canada and Western Europe do.

We pack liquor carefully in our checked bags with lots of padding and have never had a smashed bottle.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1579 posts
307 upvotes
M8Rxmjsik wrote: I am curious where you and OP are finding this info, the duty free booze limits haven't changed in a long time:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... .html#_s8f

You can bring back 1.5 litres of wine OR 1.14 litres of hard alcohol OR 8.5 litres of beer duty free, if you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more.
Sorry, not a big wine drinker should’ve double checked I trusted the OP. That being said I’ve brought back cases of champagne, like others have mentioned CBSA doesn’t usually mind once you declare and even if you do pay taxes/duty on wine it’s actually pretty low.