Off Topic

British Columbia Air Quality as of this morning (AQI 190+ and increasing)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:39 am
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
818 posts
533 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

British Columbia Air Quality as of this morning (AQI 190+ and increasing)

https://aqicn.org/map/britishcolumbia/

The smog will increase if wind continues to blow northeast.

I look outside and see white tinted trees several km away.

51 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I may be missing some internet meme or pun, but I heard one of the fires was because a family was doing a gender reveal? I didn't even realize there was such a thing. This whole thing about gender equality, gender dysphoria, gender neutrality is all a bit much to take in. I can't even begin to imagine how a reveal caused a forest fire. Did someone light a fireworks in the bushes or something?

Anyway, to stay on topic. I've seen pictures of these and how the sky is literally red like Mars is scary. I guess under normal circumstances there would be more coverage and a collective sense of urgency all around but it's being pushed to the foot notes because of what's happening.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
From the fires in California?
Sep 27, 2012
174 posts
38 upvotes
GVR
Wildfires are burning in Washington State and Oregon as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5622 posts
2805 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote: I may be missing some internet meme or pun, but I heard one of the fires was because a family was doing a gender reveal? I didn't even realize there was such a thing. This whole thing about gender equality, gender dysphoria, gender neutrality is all a bit much to take in. I can't even begin to imagine how a reveal caused a forest fire. Did someone light a fireworks in the bushes or something?
Unfortunately, gender reveals are a real thing. And the news did report that the cause of one of the fires in CA was a gender reveal party. I’m guessing there was some sort of pyrotechnics involved.

Cuz you know, it’s always an awesome idea to set off fireworks on tinder-dry ground...
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Supercooled wrote: I may be missing some internet meme or pun, but I heard one of the fires was because a family was doing a gender reveal? I didn't even realize there was such a thing. This whole thing about gender equality, gender dysphoria, gender neutrality is all a bit much to take in. I can't even begin to imagine how a reveal caused a forest fire. Did someone light a fireworks in the bushes or something?
Yes, one of the California fires was the result of a “gender reveal” party. Gender reveal had nothing to do with the non-discrimination based on “gender equality, gender dysphoria, gender neutrality” that you think “is all a bit much to take in”. It is when the parent(s) reveal the gender of their unborn fetus.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/local-2/e ... s/2426368/

I suggest that this kind of irresponsible behaviour rsukting in so much damage and potentially loss of life is related to the view that, “I’m a free person. Government can’t tell me what to do.” in contrast to “I’m a member of a community. We all have social responsibilities.”... the idea of “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” in the US in contrast to “peace, order, and good government” in Canada.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... government
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Kiraly wrote:
And today. This is all smoke, there are no clouds today:
And still there are climate change deniers. There are those who say it is a Chinese hoax to undermine the US economy. Those who say governments’ efforts to create financial disincentives for GHG emissions and incentives for reducing emissions are no more than “tax and spend” and “big government”.

British philosopher Thomas Hobbes, early proponent of the “social contract” argued that without government, the life of people was, “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short’“. It looks more and more like the lot of the 99% is headed there.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0386306761

I recommend the CBC podcast 2050: Degrees of Change with Johanna Wagstaffe. Part of the series refers to increasing frequency and severity of forest fires and wildfires.

It is set in the year 2050, but I think the catastrophes are coming sooner than that.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/2050- ... of-change/

Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8924 posts
1155 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Only one of the fires was started from the gender reveal party.
What the news doesn't always translate clearly is that there are literally over 100 fires raging along the west coast from Southern California all the way up to Washington State and BC. This has been worsening over the years in large part due to climate change and the dryer summer months in the west coast making wild fires more susceptible and larger in intensity.

For reference, the worst AQI (air quality index) in Beijing in 2019 was around 255 (link). Washington sat at 243 yesterday and parts of California and Oregon have already passed 500.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8359 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
Fun in the downtown Vancouver sun
Images
  • F0C16466-A416-4A47-87E0-188C27F6CE41.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4343 posts
877 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: And still there are climate change deniers.
Meanwhile, Canada is seeing a historically low wildfire season. For every California seeing much larger than average area burned, there's an Alberta which may end the season with the lowest area burned in 60 years of records. Given how quiet Canada has been, despite the media focus on the West Coast North America will probably end up with a below average fire season.

The burn area of fires each year are highly variable that see little to no discernible trend but almost all of the worst fire seasons in Canada happened before the 21st Century.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9267 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Probably a blessing in disguise to prevent covidiot activities outdoors.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1946 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: Probably a blessing in disguise to prevent covidiot activities outdoors.
Then they will go indoors where the risk of transmission is higher