Off Topic

British Columbia Air Quality as of this morning (AQI 190+ and increasing)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:39 am
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1772 posts
1346 upvotes
Ottawa
SLee wrote:
The burn area of fires each year are highly variable that see little to no discernible trend but almost all of the worst fire seasons in Canada happened before the 21st Century.
Your statement is not statistically sound. We're only 20 years into the 21st century so far.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Top 15 worst cities in the world for air quality right now:

Crazy. Can't imagine what Portland is like based upon your picture of Vancouver. What are the estimates for some improvement?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4343 posts
877 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: Your statement is not statistically sound. We're only 20 years into the 21st century so far.
The record contains 20 years of data in the 20th Century and 20 years in the 21st Century.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: It's looking like it'll be like this for another 5 or 6 days
Thanks. Hopefully, it is sooner than that. Guessing that is the mountains than are keeping the smoke in the area?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9027 posts
10461 upvotes
Vancouver
maple1 wrote: Thanks. Hopefully, it is sooner than that. Guessing that is the mountains than are keeping the smoke in the area?
No, it's the wind. Normally it blows in from due west, clean air from the Pacific. But the wind has been blowing from the southeast for the last several days, bringing all the wildfire smoke in with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: No, it's the wind. Normally it blows in from due west, clean air from the Pacific. But the wind has been blowing from the southeast for the last several days, bringing all the wildfire smoke in with it.
Thanks. The high school geography nerd from back then thanks you. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
SLee wrote: The burn area of fires each year are highly variable that see little to no discernible trend but almost all of the worst fire seasons in Canada happened before the 21st Century.
There are discernible trends both in the number of fires and the area affected as can be seen in the trend lines in this chart in the report, “ Evaluating Past, Current and Future Forest Fire Load Trends in Canada“ from the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre. In both instances, the trend line is up.

0A5EB270-010F-4B7F-B131-2A63195D39B2.jpeg

In addition, we can see that governments have been spending more money to suppress those fires helping to reduce the total burn. (Note that the figures are in constant, 2009, dollars.)
AF8BE71E-F345-4478-A446-98CDAEF83646.jpeg

This graph from “Effects of Climate Change on Canadian Forest Fires”, from the STEM Fellowship Journal provides a longer term statistical trend line.

375777AC-DF7A-4558-933F-2837D580D247.jpeg
Last edited by MexiCanuck on Sep 13th, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8114 posts
4632 upvotes
Kootenays
SLee wrote: Meanwhile, Canada is seeing a historically low wildfire season. For every California seeing much larger than average area burned, there's an Alberta which may end the season with the lowest area burned in 60 years of records. Given how quiet Canada has been, despite the media focus on the West Coast North America will probably end up with a below average fire season.

The burn area of fires each year are highly variable that see little to no discernible trend but almost all of the worst fire seasons in Canada happened before the 21st Century.
Dig your head out of the sand! The reason fire activity has been so low in BC and AB this year is because it has been exceptionally cool and wet throughout the spring in BC and well into summer in AB. Most crops have failed in AB because of the unseasonable weather. The BC 5 year average on your charts is 2.5 times the 25 year average. :facepalm: You can keep denying all you want but it's plain for all to see.
Aug 5, 2013
114 posts
116 upvotes
I was in Sydney BC and a plane flew right over us and we couldn't even see it !!!
It was kind of frightening since we had no idea where is was, and it sounded incredibly close and loud.

The one good thing about the pandemic, we are wearing masks anyway so it helps with breathing through the smoke filled air!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8157 posts
2850 upvotes
Mississauga
MexiCanuck wrote: And still there are climate change deniers. There are those who say it is a Chinese hoax to undermine the US economy. Those who say governments’ efforts to create financial disincentives for GHG emissions and incentives for reducing emissions are no more than “tax and spend” and “big government”.

British philosopher Thomas Hobbes, early proponent of the “social contract” argued that without government, the life of people was, “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short’“. It looks more and more like the lot of the 99% is headed there.
Not saying there isn't climate change. But you realize his photos are illustrating the effects of the big forest fires happening right now. Nothing to do with typical emissions, etc.

So your climate change statements have nothing to do with the forest fires right now that are obviously resulting in poor air quality in surrounding areas. Yes, they contribute emissions, but these are not the primary man-made issues driving climate change.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8114 posts
4632 upvotes
Kootenays
kenchau wrote: Not saying there isn't climate change. But you realize his photos are illustrating the effects of the big forest fires happening right now. Nothing to do with typical emissions, etc.

So your climate change statements have nothing to do with the forest fires right now that are obviously resulting in poor air quality in surrounding areas. Yes, they contribute emissions, but these are not the primary man-made issues driving climate change.
But the intensity of these fires is a direct result of climate change! These fires are exhibiting behaviors never seen before.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8753 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
kenchau wrote: Not saying there isn't climate change. But you realize his photos are illustrating the effects of the big forest fires happening right now. Nothing to do with typical emissions, etc.

So your climate change statements have nothing to do with the forest fires right now that are obviously resulting in poor air quality in surrounding areas.
I don’t think I suggested that these specific fires caused climate change. I think the increases in severe weather are reflective of climate change. I think the Increase in the severity of forest fires over time as shown in the trend lines are reflective of the severe weather.

In that sense I don’t agree that my, “climate change statements have nothing to do with the forest fires right now“. I think my climate change statements do have a lot to do with the forest fires right now.

I moved to my current house about 15 years ago. It is a wood frame house on about an acre of wooded land that adjoins similar properties. I expect to be moving in the next year or so. I have already decided that my next accommodation will be non-combustible or at least less combustible construction and not abutting a forest area. Climate change is making the type of housing where I live now too risky.
Yes, they contribute emissions, but these are not the primary man-made issues driving climate change.
I agree. These fires are more of a symptom than a cause. The far greater causes are related to human’s over-reliance on GHG emitting fossil fuels like petroleum and coal based fuels.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13104 posts
2189 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I am wearing an N95 mask when I go out. It expired in 2012, but it seems to work.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.