Off Topic

British Columbia Air Quality as of this morning (AQI 190+ and increasing)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:39 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9722 posts
1840 upvotes
Victoria
smacd wrote: Dig your head out of the sand! The reason fire activity has been so low in BC and AB this year is because it has been exceptionally cool and wet throughout the spring in BC and well into summer in AB. Most crops have failed in AB because of the unseasonable weather. The BC 5 year average on your charts is 2.5 times the 25 year average. :facepalm: You can keep denying all you want but it's plain for all to see.
It's actually 2 years in a row here in BC. After a number of longer dry summers, we've now had two summers in a row with cooler temps and more moisture. That's two years without campfire bans. I couldn't even tell you the last time we had a summer without any campfire bands prior to this. Maybe when I was a kid. The climate here in Vancouver Island over the last 2 years is closer to what I remember from being a kid. A little cooler, more snow, it was more common for summers to be mild, then it was to have a long hot one.

2 years isn't really a trend, but it did have me wondering if it was a shift back to our weather from decades past (well not quite the -15 we used to seek when I was really young, and we could skate when the lake flooded the fields in the winter :)
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
816 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Some of the anti-climate change people must have missed this viral video from 13 years ago when youtube wasn't as popular as it is now.

It made total sense to me 13 years ago and never had to grapple with the question since then.

I mean unless you're in the fossil fuel industry, what do you have to prove anyways?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4343 posts
877 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
There are discernible trends both in the number of fires and the area affected as can be seen in the trend lines in this chart in the report, “ Evaluating Past, Current and Future Forest Fire Load Trends in Canada“ from the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre. In both instances, the trend line is up.
If you use a linear fit, what happens when you use a polynomial one? There is also a clear declining trend for the last 30 years, despite that being the period of the rise of China and the greatest energy boom (coal) and growth in CO2 emissions in history.
smacd wrote:
Dig your head out of the sand! The reason fire activity has been so low in BC and AB this year is because it has been exceptionally cool and wet throughout the spring in BC and well into summer in AB. Most crops have failed in AB because of the unseasonable weather. The BC 5 year average on your charts is 2.5 times the 25 year average. :facepalm: You can keep denying all you want but it's plain for all to see.
So it's weather when fires are down and climate when fires are up?

And thanks to a sunny August, Alberta crops look pretty good.

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2349 posts
1195 upvotes
Mississauga
No one in the right mind should deny climate change, but there certainly is a very enthusiastic group of people who like to pin everything under the Sun on climate change. Yes, the global temperatures are rising and human activity has a hand in it to some degrees. But wildfires are not a new thing. Wildfires are a natural process which are also very essential in overall health of the planet.

I remember reading through a scientific take on wildfires few years back where a very reasonable argument was made. Frequent smaller wildfires clean the ground of old dead leaf and vegetation, and also allow nutrition for the next generation of plants and trees. And that decades of firefighting work that suppressed smaller wildfires as soon as they started have also caused a situation where now there is too much fuel ready to be burnt on the ground, and any major fire event will quickly get out of control.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9722 posts
1840 upvotes
Victoria
IndyBeak wrote: No one in the right mind should deny climate change, but there certainly is a very enthusiastic group of people who like to pin everything under the Sun on climate change. Yes, the global temperatures are rising and human activity has a hand in it to some degrees. But wildfires are not a new thing. Wildfires are a natural process which are also very essential in overall health of the planet.

I remember reading through a scientific take on wildfires few years back where a very reasonable argument was made. Frequent smaller wildfires clean the ground of old dead leaf and vegetation, and also allow nutrition for the next generation of plants and trees. And that decades of firefighting work that suppressed smaller wildfires as soon as they started have also caused a situation where now there is too much fuel ready to be burnt on the ground, and any major fire event will quickly get out of control.
To the best of knowledge climate change deniers aren't actually denying climate change, they are denying the cause of climate change. I wish they'd them something else.

I personally believe a long the same lines as you. The Earth was already warming up ever since we came out of the last ice age. It does seem like that's been a gradual process. Human impact has been to escalate the earth's warming to a very noticible shorter term trend. So technically both sides are right. Natural forces were already warming the planet. Mankind has rapidly expedited this process. That's how I feel.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8725 posts
2407 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
zod wrote: I personally believe a long the same lines as you. The Earth was already warming up ever since we came out of the last ice age. It does seem like that's been a gradual process. Human impact has been to escalate the earth's warming to a very noticible shorter term trend. So technically both sides are right. Natural forces were already warming the planet. Mankind has rapidly expedited this process. That's how I feel.
Yes, what we are experiencing with human caused climate change is fundamentally different from the gradual process that you refer to above.

The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has been cyclical.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

The planet has natural, slow changes in temperature. Human activity has changed that natural cycle, threatening to change the climate to a state in which human life would be challenged.
As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/featu ... /page3.php

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
816 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Kiraly wrote: I was just about to post the same thing, screen shot just taken lol
lol, OP has the right of way.

You can do the map from that aqicn website. It's even higher than 258 right now.
ie.
Downtown @ 330
Where I live@ 293
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8725 posts
2407 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
spiritsBB wrote: lol, OP has the right of way.

You can do the map from that aqicn website. It's even higher than 258 right now.
ie.
Downtown @ 330
Where I live@ 293
217 where I am.

I'm going to get a knife and fork out to breathe.
:(
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Dec 12, 2005
517 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
I think the fire from New West contributed to the increase.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
816 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Kiraly wrote: City with world's worst air right now: Vancouver, reading of 278
City with world's cleanest air right now: Detroit (of all places), reading of 4

Unacceptable! Why repost what I posted 2 hours later? Ban this user, ban him!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5602 posts
2790 upvotes
Mississauga
Upper atmosphere smoke is obscuring the sun around here now. Dull orange sunrise this morning.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2349 posts
1195 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah. Looks like the smoke has starting to reach GTA. Though not as bad as west coast.