Off Topic

British Columbia Air Quality as of this morning (AQI 190+ and increasing)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:39 am
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: Yes, one of the California fires was the result of a “gender reveal” party. Gender reveal had nothing to do with the non-discrimination based on “gender equality, gender dysphoria, gender neutrality” that you think “is all a bit much to take in”. It is when the parent(s) reveal the gender of their unborn fetus.
I find some gender reveal videos very distasteful. I've seen videos where the father is so happy he has a son, that I can't tell if the happiness is because he has a son or because he DIDN"T have a daughter. I'm sure the reverse exists too... I know it's speculation on my part... but the reaction is over the top and it feels off. Maybe it's just me...
Pixelation~
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8719 posts
2406 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
ProjectPixelation wrote: I find some gender reveal videos very distasteful. I've seen videos where the father is so happy he has a son, that I can't tell if the happiness is because he has a son or because he DIDN"T have a daughter. I'm sure the reverse exists too... I know it's speculation on my part... but the reaction is over the top and it feels off. Maybe it's just me...
I have mixed feelings about this. I believe that every child should be wanted and loved for who they are. On the other hand, I can understand a family looking forward to the experience of having children of more than one sex.

I also recognize that these aren’t really “gender” reveal, but are actually “sex” reveal. Gender will be determined later.

https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/48642.html

I have a sister who has an adult child who had children of each sex. I don’t doubt that both children are wanted and loved by their parents and grandparents.

I have another sister who has two adult children and five grandchildren, all of the same sex. I don’t doubt that all five children are wanted and loved by their parents and grandparents. But I suspect each parent and the grandparents would have been thrilled if one of their children/grandchildren had been of the other sex.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Jul 1, 2016
785 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: I have mixed feelings about this. I believe that every child should be wanted and loved for who they are. On the other hand, I can understand a family looking forward to the experience of having children of more than one sex.
I agree, children should grow up in a healthy and loving environment. Both parents share roles in that growing process; it's difficult to quantify in numbers but rather the experiences the child shares with his/her parents, siblings, extended family, pets. Children are pure and innocent; and should not be held accountable for any event that led to their existence. Though this is not always the case...

This is already off-topic but what comes to mind is China/India; where boys are prized more than girls. In the case of China with their 1 child policy; it created a huge gender ratio gap between males and females due to abortions and abandoned newborn daughters. The result after decades is increasing number of bachelor men who can't find wives due to that gender gap.
MexiCanuck wrote: I have another sister who has two adult children and five grandchildren, all of the same sex. I don’t doubt that all five children are wanted and loved by their parents and grandparents. But I suspect each parent and the grandparents would have been thrilled if one of their children/grandchildren had been of the other sex.
People may not want to admit it... but the reality is we play favourites - conscious or unconscious. I'm sure we all have a preference (to some degree) if we want a daughter or son.
Pixelation~
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8719 posts
2406 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
ProjectPixelation wrote: People may not want to admit it... but the reality is we play favourites - conscious or unconscious. I'm sure we all have a preference (to some degree) if we want a daughter or son.
I thought I would be happy with "human". Watching some kids' behaviour, I'm not sure everyone wished for that. :)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13088 posts
2180 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why is it still "foggy" outside after yesterday's rain? I am sick of breathing in my exhalation and wearing a mask that leaves marks on my face!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6996 posts
4164 upvotes
Victoria, BC
zod wrote: It's actually 2 years in a row here in BC. After a number of longer dry summers, we've now had two summers in a row with cooler temps and more moisture. That's two years without campfire bans. I couldn't even tell you the last time we had a summer without any campfire bands prior to this. Maybe when I was a kid. The climate here in Vancouver Island over the last 2 years is closer to what I remember from being a kid. A little cooler, more snow, it was more common for summers to be mild, then it was to have a long hot one.

2 years isn't really a trend, but it did have me wondering if it was a shift back to our weather from decades past (well not quite the -15 we used to seek when I was really young, and we could skate when the lake flooded the fields in the winter :)
Hello Zod,

I'm a fellow Victoria dweller. Campfire bans have certainly been a fact of life the past few decades here. I do recall a time in the 70s (I was a small child) when we could sometimes skate on the Panama Flats in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8092 posts
4598 upvotes
Kootenays
How the oil industry made us doubt climate change https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53640382
Very interesting read.
"In June 2020, the General Attorney of Minnesota Keith Ellison sued ExxonMobil, the American Petroleum Institute (API) and Koch Industries for misleading the public over climate change. The lawsuit claims that "previously unknown internal documents confirm that the defendant well understood the devastating effects that their products would cause to the climate".
It says that despite this knowledge, the industry "engaged in a public-relations campaign that was not only false, but also highly effective," which served to "deliberately [undermine] the science" of climate change.
The accusations against Exxon and others - which the company has called "baseless and without merit" - build on years of painstaking research by people like Kert Davies and Naomi Oreskes, professor of the history of science at Harvard University and co-author of Merchants of Doubt.
"Rather than accept the scientific evidence, they made the decision to fight the facts," she said.
But this isn't just about Exxon's past actions. In the same year as the Levine presentation, 1989, many energy companies and fossil fuel dependent industries came together to form the Global Climate Coalition, which aggressively lobbied US politicians and media.
Then in 1991, the trade body that represents electrical companies in the US, the Edison Electric Institute, created a campaign called the Information Council for the Environment (ICE) which aimed to "Reposition global warming as theory (not fact)". Some details of the campaign were leaked to the New York Times.
"They ran advertising campaigns designed to undermine public support, cherry picking the data to say, 'Well if the world is warming up, why is Kentucky getting colder?' They asked rhetorical questions designed to create confusion, to create doubt," argued Naomi Oreskes.
The ICE campaign identified two groups which would be most susceptible to its messaging. The first was "older, lesser educated males from larger households who are not typically information seekers".
The second group was "younger, low-income women," who could be targeted with bespoke adverts which would liken those who talked about climate change to a hysterical doom-saying cartoon chicken.
The Edison Electric Institute didn't respond to questions about ICE, but told the BBC that its members are "leading a clean energy transformation, and are united in their commitment to get the energy they provide as clean as they can, as fast as they can".
But back in the 1990 there were many campaigns like this.
"Unless 'climate change' becomes a non-issue," says another, leaked to the New York Times in 1997, "there may be no moment when we can declare victory".
To achieve victory, the industry planned to "identify, recruit and train a team of five independent scientists to participate in media outreach".