• Feb 19th, 2018 9:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1558 posts
43 upvotes
usa

British / Irish bacon

American bacon is pork belly and is available everywhere in America. Is there a proper name for that British / Irish bacon? I'm trying g to find some uncooked ones.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10536 posts
5082 upvotes
pork loin with side attached
pork loin with belly attached
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1558 posts
43 upvotes
usa
Is there an actual name to it? If I call up some specialty stores, what should I ask them? British style bacon? Irish rashers?
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto
gta1216 wrote: Is there an actual name to it? If I call up some specialty stores, what should I ask them? British style bacon? Irish rashers?
I'd ask for Ayrshire bacon but there are probably other regional variations.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10536 posts
5082 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: Is there an actual name to it? If I call up some specialty stores, what should I ask them? British style bacon? Irish rashers?
I'd go with British style bacon. "Rasher" is just the loin/back bacon part "streaky bacon" is just the belly part.
May 22, 2007
498 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
It's called back bacon and is from the loin towards the belly. Best bacon out there. When you find it let us know I am also interested. A few years ago PC sold it through RCSS however it was expensive at $5/250g...they had it for a couple of years then it disappeared.
Apr 4, 2012
546 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Is English bacon the same as Berkshire (Kurobuta bacon) ? Ive seen both English and Berkshire (Kurobuta) bacon sold in and around the GTA, I assumed they were the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1558 posts
43 upvotes
usa
macdonlg wrote: It's called back bacon and is from the loin towards the belly. Best bacon out there. When you find it let us know I am also interested. A few years ago PC sold it through RCSS however it was expensive at $5/250g...they had it for a couple of years then it disappeared.
I'm from Chicago. Not sure if you can bring meat into Canada though. I know we can't bring meat, among other food, back to the USA.
May 7, 2008
741 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Actually you're allowed to bring meat from Canada to USA, but needs to be chicken or pork.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... rom-canada

And your definitely allowed to bring meat from USA to Canada. Tons of cross-border grocery shopping happens all the time.
http://inspection.gc.ca/food/informatio ... 9648516990

Strangest rule though was - 1 turkey per person. How'd they decide that one?

Both borders seem to indicate that you might have to prove country of origin so British/Irish might not pass through.
gta1216 wrote: I'm from Chicago. Not sure if you can bring meat into Canada though. I know we can't bring meat, among other food, back to the USA.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7068 posts
4048 upvotes
Mississauga
If it’s regular back bacon you’re looking for, I’ve seen at all the time at the grocery store.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2740 posts
145 upvotes
Peterborough
There's a place called Rashers on Ossington in Toronto (also on Queen E.) where you can build your own bacon sandwich. You pick what kind of bacon you want. Perfect place to field test the Bacon Question.
Banned
Feb 18, 2018
8 posts
Yes, [spam removed] is a pretty good place, the bacon sandwiches there are pretty good, but the rest bacon-related stuff is ranging from good to barely decent. Maybe I got unlucky.