Careers

Brock BACC with coop VS Carleton B Comm coop

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 11:45 am
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
2 posts

Brock BACC with coop VS Carleton B Comm coop

Hi, My son recently received an offer from both universities. Both are CPA accredited programs. Carleton will give more scholarship to him, but the university is 2 times further from where we live. What do you think? which university is better? Can anyone share your thoughts please?
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1754 posts
258 upvotes
Brock accounting with co-op is generally more reputable. That said, I know a Carleton accounting grad who graduated with honours from same program and is doing well himself. He passed CFE last year and is working in a pre-approved CPA office in federal government via the Financial Officer Recruitment and Development program (FORD).
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
2 posts
Thank you very much ~SauFung! I will show yours to my son! Have a good day.
Sep 29, 2008
946 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
If he is dead set on the CPA, he should go for Brock IMO. Most people I know in that program were easily able to land co-op placements at the big4.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
2 posts
Thank you very much for this sharing motime! I really appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1667 posts
1238 upvotes
Ottawa
Brock for sure. It has a great rep. My son was also in the same position and I encouraged him to move out of town. He got his CPA/CA and now the world is his oyster.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
My daughter is not intending to pursue Accounting but she got these two offers, apart from a few others. Should she consider Brock over Carleton as well for the BA program?

Brock University
BBA Honours: Business Administration
2018 Fall (September)
Co-op: Yes

Carleton University
Commerce
2018 Fall (September)
Subject of Major Interest: Marketing (co-op optional)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1667 posts
1238 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: My daughter is not intending to pursue Accounting but she got these two offers, apart from a few others. Should she consider Brock over Carleton as well for the BA program?

Brock University
BBA Honours: Business Administration
2018 Fall (September)
Co-op: Yes

Carleton University
Commerce
2018 Fall (September)
Subject of Major Interest: Marketing (co-op optional)
Don't know enough about the programs, but in terms of reputation, Brock is better. I'm in Ottawa and Carleton has a reputation, deservedly or not, of being the university of last resort.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10116 posts
1537 upvotes
I went to Brock BBA (Co-op). I would say Accounting is pretty well known and in fact I would say Business is pretty decent as well. Having said that, I went in 2001 so a LONG time ago. How did I fair? Well I was almost top of my class and my co-op office was pretty helpful in trying to make sure their top students got good placements. My co-op terms were OK to being with but my last one, I got pretty lucky in that my co-op office put my name forward as a good candidate, somehow I got hired and I am still working here 13 years later.
Dec 27, 2007
511 posts
70 upvotes
Brock accounting co-op is a pretty well known program, and worthwhile for someone who intends on pursuing an accounting career in Canada. I did not have a great co-op experience with Brock, but the education was a good foundation. Not sure how things have changed with the new CPA program, but the upper year course offerings in BAcc are what set the program apart from the other schools, in my opinion. Not going to say I wouldn't be where I am without Brock accounting, but it definitely expedited the process, compared to if I had gone through a commerce/BBA program elsewhere, then specialized in accounting.

Overall, I would recommend it.
Sep 16, 2017
347 posts
235 upvotes
brock is a target recruitment school for a lot of firms and industry accounting programs.

definitely would recommend brock over carleton.

with that being said, getting in is just one step. make sure they are getting good grades, involved in extracurriculars, and focus on future.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
My daughter just got an offer from McMaster for 1) Business and 2) Mathematics & Statistics today. Maybe we shouldn't have applied to too many programs lol.

Why Mathematics & Statistics at McMaster?
Mathematics and Statistics at McMaster emphasizes a student-centered approach to teaching by offering a curriculum that is rich with opportunities for cooperative education, experiential learning, and undergraduate research.
http://future.mcmaster.ca/programs/math-stats/

and we still waiting for Waterloo/Laurier combined Business/Math programs though I cringe seeing how

CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
CS 136 - Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction

This one seems to hit the sweet spot:
Business Administration (Laurier) and Mathematics (Waterloo) Double Degree
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... ble-degree

This is one is less business and more risk management and financial analysis (whoops just twisted the program name):
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... management

These two programs at Waterloo looks really though. I wonder if I can do it myself, if I was to go back in time.

Business Administration (Laurier) and Mathematics (Waterloo) Double Degree
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... ble-degree

Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/pr ... management