• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2016 4:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 12, 2016
2 posts

Brock University Coop vs McMaster's business school

Hi. I am having a challenge to choose first degree programs between Brock University's Coop Accounting and McMaster University's business school with the option of finance and accounting. I thought McMaster is more popular but not sure how good they are in finance and accounting and in terms of future employment... Appreciate for some tips...
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5087 posts
960 upvotes
Peterborough
Coop experience with a good employer is invaluable. Moreso than school rep imo.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
May 12, 2016
3 posts
Brock student here. I would have to say Brock is better for the fact that there is Co-Op and that many of my friends and fellow university classmates got their placements at prestigious places like: KPMG, Deloitte, RBC Corporate Office, and many more. At the end of the day, employers look at your resume with experience more so than which university you have graduated from. Like if you went to Schulich or any Ontario Ivey-League school, yes it looks pretty on the resume... but at the end, you just learned the theory under the expense of attending a prestigious school. While if you attended a school that might be off the grid a little, but with co-op; you'll be more likely to be hired.
Dec 30, 2015
20 posts
4 upvotes
North York, ON
From what I see at work (accounting firm), Brock coop is the way to go. You get a good salary while at school, you get the experience so much needed in today's market, you build a network and best of all, if you did good job during your coop term, you get a full time job once you graduate.
Feb 22, 2012
195 posts
43 upvotes
Glasgow
You know what they say

"If you can walk and talk you can go to Brock" :D (No hate, I graduated from Brock)

so my vote would go to McMaster, I didn't enjoy my time at Brock at all
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
6692 posts
4598 upvotes
Toronto
Work experience trumps school name. Dime a dozen graduating from uoft. Mcmaster. Etc..
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1368 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
I see many DeGroote MBA alumni in front office positions on Bay Street. However, I'm not sure about their placement in the accounting field.
May 5, 2010
971 posts
118 upvotes
Brock no brainer, just like how it is for an employer to hire someone with coop corporate experience vs none.

McMaster business undergrad is quite weak by Ontario buisness school standards.
May 20, 2016
52 posts
12 upvotes
Co-op at Brock. Practical experience, networking, engagement with pros, money to pay off tuition, plus you will learn the grinds of interviews and application preparation.

Experience is one thing, skill's important, but your attitudes and mindsets after co-op could transfer your career to a whole new ball game.
Nov 29, 2014
91 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
OP, I was in the same position as you when I received all my offers. Either be accepted to Co-Op in Brock or go to Queens for business. I went with going to Brock and have no regrets.

To reiterate what all of the other posters are saying, it matters less where you graduate from when job hunting. Experience, in my opinion, trumps where you get your education from.
May 20, 2016
52 posts
12 upvotes
JGao330 wrote: Brock student here. I would have to say Brock is better for the fact that there is Co-Op and that many of my friends and fellow university classmates got their placements at prestigious places like: KPMG, Deloitte, RBC Corporate Office, and many more. At the end of the day, employers look at your resume with experience more so than which university you have graduated from. Like if you went to Schulich or any Ontario Ivey-League school, yes it looks pretty on the resume... but at the end, you just learned the theory under the expense of attending a prestigious school. While if you attended a school that might be off the grid a little, but with co-op; you'll be more likely to be hired.
Wouldn't call KPMG and Deloitte prestigious, someone from Deloitte almost spit out his coffee when I show him this post.
Former Quant and eng co-op student correcting fallacious hype on resume and interview
Jul 6, 2008
632 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
McMaster advertise themselves as MIT of Canada for their undergrad degrees, I got shafted. Never again.
May 20, 2016
52 posts
12 upvotes
Avalon127 wrote: OP, I was in the same position as you when I received all my offers. Either be accepted to Co-Op in Brock or go to Queens for business. I went with going to Brock and have no regrets.

To reiterate what all of the other posters are saying, it matters less where you graduate from when job hunting. Experience, in my opinion, trumps where you get your education from.
Brock's awesome. Not enough credit given to their programs. Dealt some hardworking and common sense candidates.
Former Quant and eng co-op student correcting fallacious hype on resume and interview
May 20, 2016
52 posts
12 upvotes
Bobby66 wrote: McMaster advertise themselves as MIT of Canada for their undergrad degrees, I got shafted. Never again.
LOL That's like calling Raptors the Cavs because they are in final four...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1989 posts
361 upvotes
GTA
Mcmaster has a great reputation but Brock's accounting co op program is known to better equip their students for success after graduation. If it's b/w Mac and Brock Bacc CO OP* then, i'd go with the co op option with Brock. Keep in mind, Mcmaster has an optional internship program too but not as good as the accounting one through Brock. The only issue aside from their crappy overall rep is that Brock is out of the way and St Catherines is kind of depressing.... Hamilton would be more fun in my opinion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)