Cell Phones

Broke my phone this morning, what are the best options out there right now for either a budget plan or buying outright?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2022 10:56 am
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes
Orillia

Broke my phone this morning, what are the best options out there right now for either a budget plan or buying outright?

Sorry if this type of thread isn't allowed here, but I'm struggling to find all the information I need.

Thankfully I kept my old phone (the camera doesn't work but the rest of it is fine, it's just old) so I have something to use in the meantime.

I've got 10 months left on my plan with Fido with a $237.10 buyout, and I'm trying to work through my options. I'm currently paying $50/month for 8 GB and unlimited talk and text.

I can go through The Mobile Shop, get 250,000 PC Points and get a Samsung A53, paying the buyout and adding $5/month to my plan.

Or I can pay the $237 and switch to another company, if I understand things correctly, and start a new plan there...but it doesn't look like anybody else has anything cheaper than what I'm paying now.

And option C is to buy a phone outright and keep my current plan, but that's also generally expensive.

Looking for any tips and advice, please and thank you!
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6274 posts
7441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Probably Option C.

The current buyout of $237 means that the cost of your plan for the rest of the 10 months is effectively $27/m for 8GB which isn't bad at all. Shop for a new plan around Black Friday.

Perhaps consider picking up a brand-new Pixel 6A on the marketplace for around low $300s
Jun 17, 2018
689 posts
1300 upvotes
Go to The Mobile Shop and get a new plan with a new phone. If you can't get a new plan with Fido, get it with another carrier. The 250k points will cover the $237 buyout cost. You will get 0% financing for the new phone, which is great considering the high inflation and high interest rate environment that is expected to last a year or two. You will also get a cheaper plan with more data. And you will likely get some perk such as free international long distance calling. Probably wait until Boxing Day to see the deals offered but complete the transaction in that week for sure because after that the deals will be gone and you will get a lousy price.
Jun 17, 2018
689 posts
1300 upvotes
Also, for your level of usage, consider the following alternatives:
Zoomer Wireless - same network and coverage as Fido
Freedom Mobile Prepaid - check out their 13 GB for $24 Boxing Day deal
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes
Orillia
FunnyGamer wrote: Also, for your level of usage, consider the following alternatives:
Zoomer Wireless - same network and coverage as Fido
Freedom Mobile Prepaid - check out their 13 GB for $24 Boxing Day deal
I'm in Orillia, how is coverage up here for them?
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes
Orillia
rugerty100 wrote: Probably Option C.

The current buyout of $237 means that the cost of your plan for the rest of the 10 months is effectively $27/m for 8GB which isn't bad at all. Shop for a new plan around Black Friday.

Perhaps consider picking up a brand-new Pixel 6A on the marketplace for around low $300s
I'm confused, buying out my phone means that $27/month would be on top of the cost of my plan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6274 posts
7441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WingerSupreme14 wrote: I'm confused, buying out my phone means that $27/month would be on top of the cost of my plan.
Sorry, I may have misunderstood your situation.

How much are you currently paying per month? I thought you were paying $50/m total at the moment which includes a "free" device.

If that is correct, then your plan is effectively $27/m because you're going to have to pay that ~$230 whether you choose to do so now, or throughout your plan's remaining ten months of life.

$50/m - ($230/10) = $27/m

Put it this way, if you were to break your contract today and pay the ~$230 penalty and immediately sign on for a hypothetical $27/m plan for a 10 month term, you'd be in exactly the same situation after 10 months as if you kept your original plan (except better cashflow since you don't have to pay the buyout).
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1048 posts
667 upvotes
GTA
Paid the device balance get renew your contract choose a phone with higher GC to offset the device balance.
DakilangMangingibig
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes
Orillia
rugerty100 wrote: Sorry, I may have misunderstood your situation.

How much are you currently paying per month? I thought you were paying $50/m total at the moment which includes a "free" device.

If that is correct, then your plan is effectively $27/m because you're going to have to pay that ~$230 whether you choose to do so now, or throughout your plan's remaining ten months of life.

$50/m - ($230/10) = $27/m

Put it this way, if you were to break your contract today and pay the ~$230 penalty and immediately sign on for a hypothetical $27/m plan for a 10 month term, you'd be in exactly the same situation after 10 months as if you kept your original plan (except better cashflow since you don't have to pay the buyout).
I get what you're saying, my total is $60, I'm paying $10/month for the phone (after rebate).

And doesn't cash flow remain the same, since I'm buying new phone?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6274 posts
7441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WingerSupreme14 wrote: I get what you're saying, my total is $60, I'm paying $10/month for the phone (after rebate).

And doesn't cash flow remain the same, since I'm buying new phone?
Depends if you go with another plan that has a phone, or if you're doing BYOD and buying a new phone which means two high one-time payments at once.

The best choice will be known tomorrow when the boxing day deals drop.
Jun 17, 2018
689 posts
1300 upvotes
WingerSupreme14 wrote: I'm in Orillia, how is coverage up here for them?
Get a SIM and try it out for yourself. Don't port your number until you are satisfied you want to keep it. Worst case, it costs you one month's plan fee. Even in that case, you will have learned something quite significant. In any case, no better way to find out if it will work for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1458 posts
1065 upvotes
Mississauga
call fido say your planning to switch to virgin as they are giving a good plan and free phone (see their offers) see if fido will work something out for you. say you like the service but its hard to pass up a good deal during Boxing Day. be nice