• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2020 5:53 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
705 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto

Broken into glass repair SOS

Hello RDF I hope everyone can help me and my mom out. Yesterday her car got broken into and lost some items I.E laptop etc.
I’m hoping someone can suggest a cheap and fast place to get it replaced!
It’s Lexus RX350 2019 and we’re located in Markham/north York area thank you so much >.<
Last edited by misterlamed on Feb 6th, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23149 upvotes
GTA
Lexus dealer would probably be the quickest. Get quote. Also, unless you're prepared to drive 500km for a shop, you should give a more precise location if you want local recommendations.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
Apple Auto Glass
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
705 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Thank y out I edited it and the insurance told us dealer would be very expensive and better off if we go to 3rd party garage I’ve called Apple glass they don’t have it in stock they said
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8023 posts
4911 upvotes
West GTEH!
Autoglass Worx. Ask for Ken.

http://www.autoglassworx.ca/index.php/contacts-2/

Used them once. Ken & his team do great work. And a few RFD members have used his services. Do a search in automotive.

And Ken has a presence on RFD. Username Mer1ion.
Last edited by Webhead on Feb 8th, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
😎
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4355 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
misterlamed wrote: Thank y out I edited it and the insurance told us dealer would be very expensive and better off if we go to 3rd party garage I’ve called Apple glass they don’t have it in stock they said
If you're going through insurance who cares what it costs, you're not paying. If you're not going through insurance why would you ask them?

Dealership will be fastest but probably most expensive.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17013 posts
12413 upvotes
Toronto
misterlamed wrote: Hello RDF I hope everyone can help me and my mom out. Yesterday her car got broken into and lost some items I.E laptop etc.
I’m hoping someone can suggest a cheap and fast place to get it replaced!
It’s Lexus RX350 2019 and we’re located in Markham/north York area thank you so much >.<
$65K + new vehicle and you want a cheap repair?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
Dealerships don't work on glass replacement... it's sub out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8023 posts
4911 upvotes
West GTEH!
Swerny wrote: $65K + new vehicle and you want a cheap repair?
OP wants the Ghetto/gangsta look with the cheap window replacement. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Pony up and get it properly replaced on your Lexus.
😎
Nov 13, 2016
861 posts
484 upvotes
Wonder why the thief felt that the laptop was more valuable than the RX350... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Dear OP:
Getting insurance involved will not work for you. The cost of replacement glass will be less than your deductible in addition to the claim on file. The cost of valuables stolen will be covered under your home insurance - again a different deductible will apply in addition to the claim in your history. The insurance company will steal more than the stupid thief.

CD
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6081 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
Canadadesi wrote: Wonder why the thief felt that the laptop was more valuable than the RX350... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Dear OP:
Getting insurance involved will not work for you. The cost of replacement glass will be less than your deductible in addition to the claim on file. The cost of valuables stolen will be covered under your home insurance - again a different deductible will apply in addition to the claim in your history. The insurance company will steal more than the stupid thief.

CD
+1. Had a friend that went through the same thing so better to pay out of pocket most of the time
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
Canadadesi wrote: Wonder why the thief felt that the laptop was more valuable than the RX350... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Dear OP:

CD
If the deductible is $500, he's ahead making the claim as a front windshield+calibration for an RX350 is around $1000.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1595 posts
861 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: If the deductible is $500, he's ahead making the claim as a front windshield+calibration for an RX350 is around $1000.
Since the car was broken into it is not likely the front windshield is broken. We had to replace a front windshield on a car with acoustic glass and sensors - windshield was $1,900 before labour - no brainer to claim that through insurance. In this case the likelihood is the side or rear windows at which point definitely get a quote to see if it's worth paying the deductible.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17013 posts
12413 upvotes
Toronto
Webhead wrote: OP wants the Ghetto/gangsta look with the cheap window replacement. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Pony up and get it properly replaced on your Lexus.
garbage bag and duct tape then
glass repair.jpg
Last edited by Swerny on Feb 7th, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5979 posts
4425 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Is the car a lease? If it is, you need to double check the lease return agreement to see if they accept certain aftermarket glass. They usually indicate they need OEM or approved manufacturer list of glass. Insurance don't care and use the cheapest replacement which may not be approved.

If covered by insurance, just go to the dealer. The insurance company didn't say you couldn't go to a dealer, just suggested a cheaper place so they don't have to pay out more but it's not your money anyways. Just go dealer and have full record.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2625 posts
1542 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Dealerships don't work on glass replacement... it's sub out.
Not true, we used to do windshields at BMW when I worked there (I helped with a few.) Install kit used are labelled and sold by BMW as well.
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Feb 8th, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.