• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 2:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes

Broken IR sensor on Onkyo Receiver?

Recently bought a used Onkyo receiver that did not come with a remote. Figured I'd program a harmony remote to control it. But it doesn't work at all, doesn't seem to be receiving any command. Is it possible the IR sensor is broken? Anyone came across a situation like this before?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16031 posts
8893 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A broken IR sensor is rare as basically they are really a passive component. More often than not the receiver might be using a different code than what the Harmony remote thinks it is.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Maybe try an Onkyo remote control app?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
on my onkyo there is a port on the back were u can plug an ir extender it witch basically lets u put the ir receiver were ever u want. u pretty much get one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-Sm ... Swq2hekne3 then put it where ever u want. if the ir sensor in the receiver is broken then that would fix it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: on my onkyo there is a port on the back were u can plug an ir extender it witch basically lets u put the ir receiver were ever u want. u pretty much get one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-Sm ... Swq2hekne3 then put it where ever u want. if the ir sensor in the receiver is broken then that would fix it.
Found an IR extender dongle I had and plugged it into the " remote" plug in the back.. no dice :( Still won't respond to any remote input from the Harmony. usually Harmony remote has pretty good compatibility as long as you have the correct model number of the device. Guess I'll just have to continue turning it off/on manually.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: Found an IR extender dongle I had and plugged it into the " remote" plug in the back.. no dice :( Still won't respond to any remote input from the Harmony. usually Harmony remote has pretty good compatibility as long as you have the correct model number of the device. Guess I'll just have to continue turning it off/on manually.
what model onkyo is it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: looks like the original remote is model number rc-735m. looks like aliexpress has knocks off for just under 10 bucks https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000761 ... hweb201603_

u could order that then if it works just use that to manually reprogram your harmony remote.
Yeah I should've add i originally got a replacement remote on Ebay. Same remote as your link. It's definitely a knockoff so I assumed it was the remote not working, that was when I tried the Harmony thinking the logitech database is more accurate.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: Yeah I should've add i originally got a replacement remote on Ebay. Same remote as your link. It's definitely a knockoff so I assumed it was the remote not working, that was when I tried the Harmony thinking the logitech database is more accurate.
hmm odd. i figure there is some chip inside that decodes the IR signals its probably gone bad. if more then one remote wont control it.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
I picked on of those remote knock-offs for my Onkyo TX-SR333 (10 bucks) and although it works well, and looks identical, it doesn't have the exact same functions as the original. But you should be able to use at least the up/down volume control (that's a universal standard IR code). If the visible led on the remote is firing when you hit a button, then the receiver section on the receiver isn't working.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes
PatK621 wrote: I picked on of those remote knock-offs for my Onkyo TX-SR333 (10 bucks) and although it works well, and looks identical, it doesn't have the exact same functions as the original. But you should be able to use at least the up/down volume control (that's a universal standard IR code). If the visible led on the remote is firing when you hit a button, then the receiver section on the receiver isn't working.
Yeah i suspect its something wrong in the receiver end. The light on the remote lights up, but the receiver doesn't respond to any button... power, volume up/down, switching sources.. anything :( Just can't think of anything that could break besides the IR sensor ? I might have to open the case and take a peek if any thing loose in there.

All i want is Power and Volume up/down and maybe mute. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: Yeah i suspect its something wrong in the receiver end. The light on the remote lights up, but the receiver doesn't respond to any button... power, volume up/down, switching sources.. anything :( Just can't think of anything that could break besides the IR sensor ? I might have to open the case and take a peek if any thing loose in there.

if it was the sensor then putting in the external one would have worked.

its a pretty low end system ud be better off just keeping an eye out on places like kiji facebook market place or at thrift stores and see if u can find a nicer one pop up for a good deal and replace it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: Yeah i suspect its something wrong in the receiver end. The light on the remote lights up, but the receiver doesn't respond to any button... power, volume up/down, switching sources.. anything :( Just can't think of anything that could break besides the IR sensor ? I might have to open the case and take a peek if any thing loose in there.

2 other things. i was looking in the setup menu on mine and there is a misc menu under that there is an option called remote ID maybe the old owner messed with that? also checked in the manual for your model it says well the unit is powered on hold down the vcr button and start button on it at the same time this will factory reset it again it could be that a setting was messed with and they would reset everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: 2 other things. i was looking in the setup menu on mine and there is a misc menu under that there is an option called remote ID maybe the old owner messed with that? also checked in the manual for your model it says well the unit is powered on hold down the vcr button and start button on it at the same time this will factory reset it again it could be that a setting was messed with and they would reset everything.
You're a savior!! The Remote ID thing worked... It was set at 3... I set it to one and the ebay remote works! Thanks!! I knew the answer is out there on RFD :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2548 posts
1330 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: You're a savior!! The Remote ID thing worked... It was set at 3... I set it to one and the ebay remote works! Thanks!! I knew the answer is out there on RFD :)
glad that fixed it. i was thinking about it for a bit and recall seeing something in the menu before about remote settings that was when i double checked on mine my guess is the owner who had it before u messed with the settings. 1 is the default setting. ur logitech remote should work now to.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12941 posts
2227 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
This thread rocks. I love it when someone finds an obscure solution to save the day.

BTW, I would like to know what people do with the original remotes. I can see that they prefer an all-in-one, but what do they do with the original? Throw them in the garbage? If they don't want to save them, sell them or donate them to a thrift store.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
With that issue settled out, if you are using a PC as a home theatre unit, I would recommend the Flirc usb IR device that will turn that remote into more than just AVR & TV
control.
Last edited by PatK621 on May 28th, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5743 posts
2529 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
rabbit wrote:
BTW, I would like to know what people do with the original remotes. I can see that they prefer an all-in-one, but what do they do with the original? Throw them in the garbage? If they don't want to save them, sell them or donate them to a thrift store.
I'd say lost or separated in moves, or even dramatic, possibly violent domestic splits. Some may be "hot" so the remotes were not taken along with the main unit. If they find them later, most are probably too lazy to take to the thrift shop (some do have a bin or two of unmatched remotes) if they even remember where the main unit went to.

Last AVR I sold (only had it a year and a half) I even sold with all of the original packaging and even the batteries.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16031 posts
8893 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rabbit wrote: BTW, I would like to know what people do with the original remotes. I can see that they prefer an all-in-one, but what do they do with the original? Throw them in the garbage? If they don't want to save them, sell them or donate them to a thrift store.
I would not be surprised if they were thrown in the garbage or sold off for a few bucks. Just look online and see people selling accessories for various items that would have came with that item but no item - ie boxes, factory tonneau covers from hatches...