Shopping Discussion

Brokerage fees from FedEx 3 MONTHS after receiving the item

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2019 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 13, 2015
1 posts
Madden, AB

Brokerage fees from FedEx 3 MONTHS after receiving the item

I'm in Canada and I ordered something that shipped to me from the States on April 29th . I received the item on May 5th and just today, July 14th, I got a bill from FedEx saying I have to pay $55. It's been a whopping 3 months and I never signed for the item it was just left on my door. Do I have to pay them?
26 replies
Banned
Jun 14, 2007
1674 posts
409 upvotes
I think you do have to pay... unless you call them and try to dispute the value of the item... I got bill from FedEx 6 months after the order got delivered... ordered for my wife - Bay Rum 1L bottle from Amazon.com... seller send it via FedEx from USA... bill came 6 months after... I paid in full... but to each his own...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3187 posts
2853 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Hypophrenia604 wrote: I'm in Canada and I ordered something that shipped to me from the States on April 29th . I received the item on May 5th and just today, July 14th, I got a bill from FedEx saying I have to pay $55. It's been a whopping 3 months and I never signed for the item it was just left on my door. Do I have to pay them?
Welcome to RFD. Moving forward, make sure you use the search tools available before posting - this question has been asked (and answered) many times before. Generally speaking, the bill includes taxes and/or duties for which you were responsible (and which Fedex most likely paid on your behalf) and their service fee for brokering the package for you. As batye has written, you may be able to dispute the value of the item if you believe it was too high, but other than that it is legitimate. Annoying they bill so long afterward, but legitimate all the same.

nmclean wrote: No.
Well, I suppose you don't have to if you want to be taken to court or go through debt collectors. If this is what you want, then it's great advice.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
954 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: Well, I suppose you don't have to if you want to be taken to court or go through debt collectors. If this is what you want, then it's great advice.
If you actually searched and read previous discussions as you advise, you would know this isn't going to happen.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
nmclean wrote: If you actually searched and read previous discussions as you advise, you would know this isn't going to happen.
Does it show up on your credit report?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3187 posts
2853 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
nmclean wrote: If you actually searched and read previous discussions as you advise, you would know this isn't going to happen.
Can you say that with 100% certainty? I bet you can't.

There have been many references in previous discussions about this where people have received letters from debt collectors because they simply ignored the bill. It is a legitimate bill for services rendered, although the quality and value of said services are open for discussion.

Ignoring the bill will not make it go away.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
nmclean wrote: No.
Unless you wanna take a hit on your credit score, I suggest ignoring this guy.

The reason why you're getting this bill is that they had your package on their backlog. They opted to deliver your package without billing you first (COD).

There are a ton of threads on how to avoid brokerage fees (by clearing the package yourself). Take this as a lesson and pay the fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
954 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Brookside05 wrote: Unless you wanna take a hit on your credit score, I suggest ignoring this guy.

The reason why you're getting this bill is that they had your package on their backlog. They opted to deliver your package without billing you first (COD).

There are a ton of threads on how to avoid brokerage fees (by clearing the package yourself). Take this as a lesson and pay the fees.
This guy (me) has never had FedEx, or any collections agency, appear on his credit report. COD does not stand for "Cash Three Months After Delivery". You do not have to pay them. I would ask them for proof that you agreed to pay. This forum needs more consumer advocacy and less apologists, seriously.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
nmclean wrote: This guy (me) has never had FedEx, or any collections agency, appear on his credit report. COD does not stand for "Cash Three Months After Delivery". You do not have to pay them. I would ask them for proof that you agreed to pay. This forum needs more consumer advocacy and less apologists, seriously.
Listen to this guy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2248 upvotes
Canadia
Coz4k wrote: Listen to this guy.
The OP purchased a product from another country. It was delivered with duty and federal tax owing.

Much as I dislike FedEx Ground's incredibly high handling fees, this is a legitimate debt that shouldn't be shirked under the guise of "consumer advocacy."

[Full disclosure: I run a company that often ships electronic items that we manufacture to European customers. You would not believe the rude and unreasonable emails we occasionally receive because people discover that there will be 20% VAT applied to the purchase (even though they are warned in the product description and order emails).

I've had people swearing at me and demanding that I pay it because it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I've had people refuse packages and then demand that we refund the purchase price and shipping costs IMMEDIATELY. And so on.

Failure to understand the cost of cross-border shipping by FedEx or UPS ground is not an excuse. Refusing to pay a courier because the invoice arrives 90 days after the package isn't OK, nor is it fair to heap abuse on manufacturers and retailers.]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
retrothing wrote: The OP purchased a product from another country. It was delivered with duty and federal tax owing.

Much as I dislike FedEx Ground's incredibly high handling fees, this is a legitimate debt that shouldn't be shirked under the guise of "consumer advocacy."

[Full disclosure: I run a company that often ships electronic items that we manufacture to European customers. You would not believe the rude and unreasonable emails we occasionally receive because people discover that there will be 20% VAT applied to the purchase (even though they are warned in the product description and order emails).

I've had people swearing at me and demanding that I pay it because it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I've had people refuse packages and then demand that we refund the purchase price and shipping costs IMMEDIATELY. And so on.

Failure to understand the cost of cross-border shipping by FedEx or UPS ground is not an excuse. Refusing to pay a courier because the invoice arrives 90 days after the package isn't OK, nor is it fair to heap abuse on manufacturers and retailers.]
Some people have their own broker. Fedex doing it on their own and then forcing the bill onto you afterward is illegal.

They are trying their luck with these fake bills. They know they messed up and they still try.

They can't decide unilaterally to do the brokerage work, deliver the package and then charge you for it without you even knowing about anything of this.

My opinion, not legal advice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2248 upvotes
Canadia
Coz4k wrote: Some people have their own broker. Fedex doing it on their own and then forcing the bill onto you afterward is illegal.

They are trying their luck with these fake bills. They know they messed up and they still try.

They can't decide unilaterally to do the brokerage work, deliver the package and then charge you for it without you even knowing about anything of this.

My opinion, not legal advice.
FedEx didn't "mess up." They simply didn't bill the customer for 90 days. That doesn't change the fact that the OP ordered a product from the US and either (a) chose FedEx as the transportation method, or (b) allowed the vendor to choose for him.

I understand that there's a lot of hostility toward UPS and FedEx for their extremely profitable brokerage business, but there's some very strange logic being used in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5770 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
retrothing wrote: FedEx didn't "mess up." They simply didn't bill the customer for 90 days. That doesn't change the fact that the OP ordered a product from the US and either (a) chose FedEx as the transportation method, or (b) allowed the vendor to choose for him.

I understand that there's a lot of hostility toward UPS and FedEx for their extremely profitable brokerage business, but there's some very strange logic being used in this thread.
There is a reason why UPS & other call/email before doing the brokerage. They need your consent.

Many people have their own broker and do not want to use their overpriced ''services''
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3870 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Can you say that with 100% certainty? I bet you can't.

There have been many references in previous discussions about this where people have received letters from debt collectors because they simply ignored the bill. It is a legitimate bill for services rendered, although the quality and value of said services are open for discussion.

Ignoring the bill will not make it go away.
Brookside05 wrote: Unless you wanna take a hit on your credit score, I suggest ignoring this guy.

The reason why you're getting this bill is that they had your package on their backlog. They opted to deliver your package without billing you first (COD).

There are a ton of threads on how to avoid brokerage fees (by clearing the package yourself). Take this as a lesson and pay the fees.
You 2 must also be one of those persons who sit 15 minutes and wait for their friend to bring change, because you don't have any and you want to pay the parking ticket at the machine (true story, overheard a woman on the phone say that) because you are afraid if you do get ticketed by a private company (eg. Impark) you will be taken to court, have to pay thousands in fine and your credit will be ruined because you missed paying 100$ fine for your 1.5$ ticket that you could've paid. (Just FYI, private parking tickets can be thrown in trash, and I talk from experience)

No one is going to take you to small claims for 50$ (heck, they aren't for 1000$, *wave to Impark*) that it cost the brokerage, and the judge would throw it away anyway since they need to collect their fee upon delivery. You cannot be shus shus about how much they charge you and then go "surprise, you owe us xxx".

Also, I am pretty sure only registered credit lenders can affect your credit score. Otherwise Gigi Joe could kill your credit cause you didn't pay the debt you had from that beer night.

But you go keep following like herd. It's your money.

To OP. If this came 3 Months late, absolutely ignore it. First phone CS and tell them this is ridiculous and step their brokerage collection up if they actually want to get paid (aka present you the bill upon delivery so you can decide if you want to pay or make them return the package)
Newbie
Jun 27, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
I wouldn't worry about it. You already have the package. It's not like you will be sent to collections over a brokerage fee from 3 months ago, it's not worth anyones time. Don't give FedEx another dollar they are slime balls when it comes to their prices.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5871 upvotes
Vancouver
ALLCAPS wrote: Can you say that with 100% certainty? I bet you can't.

There have been many references in previous discussions about this where people have received letters from debt collectors because they simply ignored the bill. It is a legitimate bill for services rendered, although the quality and value of said services are open for discussion.

Ignoring the bill will not make it go away.
Here, I'll say it. 100% will not show up on credit report.

They don't have any form of documentation to show you agreed to pay the amount. Nor can they match it up someone's credit file without their date of birth.

Just because they send it to a collections company doesn't mean it can be collected. In the ridiculously unlikely situation it goes to small claims court, the defendant can simply ask "Show me something where I agreed to pay this brokerage fee." Nothing can be presented and ruling is made in 10 seconds.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3187 posts
2853 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Coz4k wrote: Some people have their own broker. Fedex doing it on their own and then forcing the bill onto you afterward is illegal.
Apparently it's not.
They are trying their luck with these fake bills. They know they messed up and they still try.
...and you're a lawyer, right?
They can't decide unilaterally to do the brokerage work, deliver the package and then charge you for it without you even knowing about anything of this.
Okay then...all FedEx/UPS/DHL etc deliveries will come to a halt then, while people are required to go to either the Fedex depot or the Bonded warehouse to either pay the fees before delivery or clear the package themselves.

These companies are providing a service to save the customer time and expedite the delivery of the package, over and above the clearing of the package through customs. If you think they're wrong, why don't you be plaintiff number 1 in a class action lawsuit?
My opinion, not legal advice.
...and it's easy to spout it and tell people to avoid paying legitimate debts when you're not the one facing the potential consequences, isn't it?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)