which brokerage to join?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 10:19 am
Tags:
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
Sam286 wrote: Post #27 is my post. Perhaps you refer to post #26, or maybe another post?
Anyone who wishes to trade real estate has to be registered with a brokerage. Totally agree. It’s a must. Otherwise it’s illegal (unless a narrow exemption for lawyers etc. applies).

Your other statements come out of nowhere. Please add a link to a document that makes it a MUST for a brokerage to join the board and that makes it a MUST for the realtors to join the board.
If you are licensed, you may also clarify the issue with your managing broker just to stop this whole embarrassment.

You have a choice to “automatically” pay the dues to the board and be a member. And 99% of the realtors Canada-wide choose to do so. It is also totally worth it, it puts you at a different level at a simple click of a button. But under no circumstances it’s a must to be a board member.

Here you go....

"To operate in Ontario your brokerage must be a member of a real estate board..."

http://www.realtypoint.ca/how-to-open-a ... brokerage/

And here....

What is "parking" a real estate license?
Technically, you cannot park a license. You can be registered with a non-board brokerage so you would not be a part of organized real estate. You do not have to pay board dues, OREA fees or CREA fees. You would not have access to MLS services and cannot call yourself REALTOR®. Your license remains active with RECO.

http://www.optionsforagents.com/FAQS/page_2364883.html

And finally, here...

3. Can I park my licence?

The Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, 2002 (REBBA) does not address the concept of parking a registration. An individual is either registered to trade in real estate, or they are not. You have two options if you don’t plan to trade for an extended period of time. Learn about them here.

http://www.reco.on.ca/professionals-new ... gistrants/
Licenced Realtor and P.Eng
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4992 upvotes
Here 'n There
Donnie740 wrote: As per REBBA 2002 Section 4.1(c)

"No person shall trade in real estate as a salesperson unless he or she is registered as a salesperson of a brokerage"

Seems pretty clear to me, but I can understand how a new and inexperienced realtor such as yourself might be confused.

For your own benefit you should seek additional training from RECO - - I hate to see you lose your "licence" for violating a REBBA mandate.
No one is saying you can trade real estate without joining a brokerage so no need to change the subject. It's these statements which are all untrue that you have made and which multiple people have now corrected you on:
Donnie740 wrote: All real estate brokerages in Ontario MUST be registered with a local real estate board.

All realtors actively involved with buying or selling real estate in Ontario MUST be registered as a salesperson of a brokerage and pay local real estate board fees.
Donnie740 wrote: Participation in a local real estate board is voluntary - - but as I explained previously, if you're not a member of any local real estate board in Ontario you will be prohibited by law from actively engaging in the trade of real estate.
Donnie740 wrote: If you want to actively trade real estate in Ontario - - ie represent buyers and sellers - - you absolutely MUST pay annual dues and be a member of a local real estate board, OREA and CREA.

To say it's "voluntary" is self evident. Of course it's voluntary. If you want to park your licence and save the costs, go right ahead. Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to pay dues and be a member of a local board, OREA and CREA. But that means you will be prohibited from representing buyers or sellers in trading real estate in Ontario.

I can't dumb it down for you any further than that, my friend.
You can trade in real estate as long as you are a member of a brokerage and there is no need to join a real estate board if the brokerage is not a member. Some brokerages even say that right on their website. I get that you can't accept you are wrong and multiple times. No doubt you'll repeat these falsehoods again. So be it. You can lead a confused horse to water....
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
eonibm wrote: No one is saying you can trade real estate without joining a brokerage so no need to change the subject. It's these statements which are all untrue that you have made and which multiple people have now corrected you on:

You can trade in real estate as long as you are a member of a brokerage and there is no need to join a real estate board if the brokerage is not a member. Some brokerages even say that right on their website. I get that you can't accept you are wrong and multiple times. No doubt you'll repeat these falsehoods again. So be it. You can lead a confused horse to water....

Please list the Ontario brokerages that are NOT registered with a local real estate board.

If a brokerage wishes to actively trade real estate - - ie represent buyers and sellers - - it MUST be registered with a local real estate board.

Any brokerage which is not registered with a local real estate board is prohibited from representing buyers and sellers. It's is only for realtors who wish to "park" their licence and will NOT actively trade in real estate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7965 posts
5978 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm, which brokerage allows you to trade without paying CREA, OREA ?

These brokerages allow you to park your license. but you can only earn through referrals. You cannot represent a client.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Donnie, give it up. You site some obscure franchise which doesn't know what is required and is misleading the readers.A

Nowhere n REBBA does it say a brokerage must be a member of a real estate board in order to operate. It is misleading to try and pass off mandatory registration of a brokerage and individual as saying anything about a real estate board. If in fact your assertion was correct all boards would fall under RECO's oversight and they don't.

Nowhere in that RECO notice does it say one has to be a member of a board. It simply says and rightly so, one is either registered or they're not. Parking a licence as I mentioned earlier is the term used to provide for less active members. It allows registrants the option of maintaining their registration without having to pay board and association fees.

Finally, in this link is a graphic that is very clear
RECO is the regulator for real estate professionals in Ontario. Registration is mandatory to legally trade in real estate in Ontario.

OREA is a professional association. Membership is voluntary

http://www.reco.on.ca/wp-content/upload ... arison.pdf
and from OREA
Professions form associations to represent the interests of their members. In Ontario, the arrangement is called 'organized real estate' and it has three levels: local, provincial and national. Real estate boards represent brokers and salespeople at the local level. Those who choose to join a real state board automatically become members of organized real estate and may call themselves REALTORS®.
https://www.orea.com/About-Us/Real-Esta ... of-Ontario
There is no language anywhere that says one must belong to a board.

Additionally, you can check TREB's by-laws which clearly delineates between brokerage members and non-brokerage members along with matters that pertain to the rescinding of membership.
Donnie740 wrote:

And here....

What is "parking" a real estate license?
Technically, you cannot park a license. You can be registered with a non-board brokerage so you would not be a part of organized real estate. You do not have to pay board dues, OREA fees or CREA fees. You would not have access to MLS services and cannot call yourself REALTOR®. Your license remains active with RECO.

http://www.optionsforagents.com/FAQS/page_2364883.html

And finally, here...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2017
1012 posts
1183 upvotes
1cat2dogs wrote: I've often wondered -

What do agents/teams in the GCI Chairman's club earn with Lepage?
Anyone?
Jul 26, 2015
394 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Donnie740 wrote: Here you go....

"To operate in Ontario your brokerage must be a member of a real estate board..."

It’s not an official document, not a regulation, not a bylaw. It’s a website that tries to market their own services. Not a legitimate source to rely on. No different from posting a reference to a craigslist post.
Jul 26, 2015
394 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Donnie740 wrote: Please list the Ontario brokerages that are NOT registered with a local real estate board.
Does post #22 from licensed help?
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
licenced wrote: Donnie, give it up. You site some obscure franchise which doesn't know what is required and is misleading the readers.A

Nowhere n REBBA does it say a brokerage must be a member of a real estate board in order to operate. It is misleading to try and pass off mandatory registration of a brokerage and individual as saying anything about a real estate board. If in fact your assertion was correct all boards would fall under RECO's oversight and they don't.

Nowhere in that RECO notice does it say one has to be a member of a board. It simply says and rightly so, one is either registered or they're not. Parking a licence as I mentioned earlier is the term used to provide for less active members. It allows registrants the option of maintaining their registration without having to pay board and association fees.

Finally, in this link is a graphic that is very clear

and from OREA

There is no language anywhere that says one must belong to a board.

Additionally, you can check TREB's by-laws which clearly delineates between brokerage members and non-brokerage members along with matters that pertain to the rescinding of membership.

Nobody is "obligated" to pay dues and join a local real estate board or OREA or CREA but if they choose not to, they are restricted from trading in real estate.

That applies to both realtors AND brokerages.

From the link you referenced..."Those who choose to join a real estate board automatically become members of organized real estate and may call themselves REALTORS®"

In other words, those who choose not to join a local real estate board are NOT members of organized real estate and CANNOT call themselves realtors - - in other words, they're restricted from trading in real estate.

Feel free to call RECO yourself and they'll confirm what I've explained here.
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
Sam286 wrote: It’s not an official document, not a regulation, not a bylaw. It’s a website that tries to market their own services. Not a legitimate source to rely on. No different from posting a reference to a craigslist post.

Please provide a reference - - even a website - - which states brokerages and realtors in Intario can actively represent buyers and sellers WITHOUT being registered with a local real estate board, OREA and CREA.

Here's a hint - - you won't find one, my friend, because it's mandatory to do so.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11732 posts
568 upvotes
1cat2dogs wrote: Anyone?
Seems everyone is more interested in arguing about their standing in the world Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 26, 2015
394 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Donnie740 wrote: Please provide a reference - - even a website - - which states brokerages and realtors in Intario can actively represent buyers and sellers WITHOUT being registered with a local real estate board, OREA and CREA.

Here's a hint - - you won't find one, my friend, because it's mandatory to do so.
http://www.netmorerealestateinc.com/
Just reposting from post #22.
Seemes to be very clear in terms of what services are being offered.

If something is mandatory, there has to be a regulation that says so. There is none. Everything says “voluntary”. So the document you are looking for does not exist.
If something is voluntary - no regulation is required to say that it’s not mandatory. It’s a free country.

I think it’s my last response to Donnie’s post. I feel like I am ironing a very wrinkled cotton shirt that simply does not give up when I am writing such posts :)
Jul 26, 2015
394 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mbg wrote: Seems everyone is more interested in arguing about their standing in the world Face With Tears Of Joy
We’ve gone way off-topic.
Unfortunately I can not advise on which brokerage is the best in Ontario, I wish I could.
I would pick one based on personal relationships. If you are new and you know a realtor who is too busy to service all his leads, I would join that brokerage and help him out. Everyone wins financially and you get a lot of guidance.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2017
1012 posts
1183 upvotes
mbg wrote: Seems everyone is more interested in arguing about their standing in the world Face With Tears Of Joy
Oh well.

I've seen that Lepage has two categories for their top 1% Chairman's clubs; units and commission.
I've always been curious what the low and high range of earnings is to get into this club.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4992 upvotes
Here 'n There
Sam286 wrote: http://www.netmorerealestateinc.com/

If something is mandatory, there has to be a regulation that says so. There is none. Everything says “voluntary”. So the document you are looking for does not exist.
If something is voluntary - no regulation is required to say that it’s not mandatory. It’s a free country.

I think it’s my last response to Donnie’s post. I feel like I am ironing a very wrinkled cotton shirt that simply does not give up when I am writing such posts :)

+1
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Oh my God please stop. This is really embarrassing that it is necessary to explain all of that plus the fact that I also have to explain that REALTOR is a trademark name ony members of CREA may use. It has nothing whatsoever to being registered. I defy you to find that anywhere in REBBA or that a brokerage or individual registrant must be a member of a real estate board to trade in real estate. This is really silly now!

From CREA itself. And this too is my last word on the subject.

https://www.crea.ca/buyers-or-sellers/why-a-realtor/

Donnie740 wrote: Nobody is "obligated" to pay dues and join a local real estate board or OREA or CREA but if they choose not to, they are restricted from trading in real estate.

That applies to both realtors AND brokerages.

From the link you referenced..."Those who choose to join a real estate board automatically become members of organized real estate and may call themselves REALTORS®"

In other words, those who choose not to join a local real estate board are NOT members of organized real estate and CANNOT call themselves realtors - - in other words, they're restricted from trading in real estate.

Feel free to call RECO yourself and they'll confirm what I've explained here.
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
Sam286 wrote: http://www.netmorerealestateinc.com/

That link reiterates my point - - if you're not registered and paying fees with a local real estate board, OREA and CREA, you cannot trade in real estate. The only thing you can do is refer buyers and sellers.

From the site....

"How can I list a property on MLS, If I am not a member of any board or association?

The property will be listed with our Toronto Office and/or our Ottawa Office as per the Listing referral agreement, Our Brokerage list properties on MLS at 40 boards and association all over Ontario."
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4992 upvotes
Here 'n There
Donnie740 wrote: That link reiterates my point - - if you're not registered and paying fees with a local real estate board, OREA and CREA, you cannot trade in real estate. The only thing you can do is refer buyers and sellers.

From the site....

"How can I list a property on MLS, If I am not a member of any board or association?

The property will be listed with our Toronto Office and/or our Ottawa Office as per the Listing referral agreement, Our Brokerage list properties on MLS at 40 boards and association all over Ontario."
Let's all just give up. Donnie740 just can't accept he is wrong even though thousands of agents are trading in real estate without being board members. I realize it stings for him to be exposed as clueless about the basics.

I have received so many messages from those who became agents as a result of my handy-dandy thread below. Many report they are happily trading in real estate without having to be board members, all in obvious total contravention of RECO rules!!! LMFAO!!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19638 posts
20059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
While these guys have been busy arguing, I have done 3 deals this week :P
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4992 upvotes
Here 'n There
EP32k2 wrote: While these guys have been busy arguing, I have done 3 deals this week :P
I know eh! I have a cousin who I just put in an offer for on a $3M place. Even with with my F&F rate it will be a nice chunk 'o change for not much work!