• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 7:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
546 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto

Broom Finish Concrete Sealing Advice

Finished Concrete Front Door Steps, Sidewalk to the back and patio in plain broom finish. Around 800 Sq. Ft

The contractor recommended sealing to avoid soil and oil stains and salt damage or make sure we use Blue Salt.
To seal, I am getting quotes for different brand names including Seal King, Natraseal, Kimbol. I am looking for a semi-gloss look.

First of all, does broom finish require sealing? Also, is there any website or place where all these sealant comparisons are available? or a brand that you would recommend?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
ON
Strange. I had broom finished concrete done by Pro Concrete a couple of years back. They recommended not to seal. Unfortunately can’t recall what their justification was. But I don’t use ant kind of winter salt.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
Well, one reason not to seal seal is to avoid it becoming slippery in the wet.
But you can DIY apply siloxane.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 1, 2007
349 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: ut you can DIY apply siloxane.
Don't do this. Siloxanes are toxic, persistent, and have the potential to bioaccumulate in aquatic organisms.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
546 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
rjp123 wrote: Don't do this. Siloxanes are toxic, persistent, and have the potential to bioaccumulate in aquatic organisms.

So no sealing and keeping it natural then? Does salt clung to the shoes damage the concrete?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
roofgoof wrote: So no sealing and keeping it natural then? Does salt clung to the shoes damage the concrete?
If not sealing, then I would think that densifier would strengthen and prevent salt damage, but I'm not sure about that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 1, 2007
349 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
roofgoof wrote: So no sealing and keeping it natural then? Does salt clung to the shoes damage the concrete?
Salt damages everything. I would keep it shoveled with plastic shovel (no de-icing salts or chemicals), sweep with stiff brush broom after shoveling if you want and don't let your car drop those brown chunks onto it (and if they fall off, remove them ASAP).
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2381 posts
677 upvotes
I can't imagine sealing a brushed concrete. Sure it will offer some protection, but it's going to be slick in the winter.