None
[OP]
Jul 23, 2005
670 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga

brown water in the middle of the basement

hey guys,

wondering if anyone has any insight on my situation.

was just in the basement and found brown liquid in the middle of our floor. it's unfinished and just storage. bunch of cardboard boxes. the furnace is near it, but not that close to it

we moved a few boxes to isolate it. it's a DXracer box, so I don't think it's anything from inside our boxes

when we wiped up the liquid, it was more like water than oil. some stains were left on the floor, so we're unsure how old the liquid is. we go down to that part of the basement once or twice a month

these pipes are over the liquid. we see maybe some brown spots on the second pipe, but it's very small

any ideas? thanks!
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
If it is not the box that is leaking then I suspect it is coming from above.
The "pipe" you are showing is in fact a heating duct. It looks like,in the last photo that it is the elbow that goes up to floor vent in the floor above. I suspect that someone has spilled something in that vent and it dripped through the elbow joint to the floor below.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: If it is not the box that is leaking then I suspect it is coming from above.
The "pipe" you are showing is in fact a heating duct. It looks like,in the last photo that it is the elbow that goes up to floor vent in the floor above. I suspect that someone has spilled something in that vent and it dripped through the elbow joint to the floor below.
+1 somebody spilled something
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4236 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
You can see the drip lines on the last photo, two brown lines running down the pipe and hit the lowest spot next to the strap and fall on your floor.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That stuff can be dangerous, if is like this,
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8866 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Agree seems to have come thru duct work on floor [or two] above.

Suggest to find and clean inside of vents else get oxidation/rust [not sure if right terminology] that impossible to remove... have several vents in our place like that!!

If this happened in room where have sink and chance that can happen again then suggest air deflectors be placed over the registrar... all big box hardware stores have.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2005
670 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
thanks everybody.
great peace of mind :)
Jul 29, 2016
1 posts
Hi All, I just recently found that I have the same issue with brown liquid seeping from what seems like the basement floor/baseboard. One area looks like the brown oily liquid like those pictures posted but there is also another spot that almost looks like Coke Cola. Anyone know what this could be? Thank you!!