• Jul 26th, 2018 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1152 posts
371 upvotes
London, ON

Brown Wood Sealer - recommendations

I had some brown wood sienna type installed in my backyard.

what do you guys recommend for sealing ?

Everyone tells me to avoid thompson..

I just want a clear water repellent i guess?

I like the colour of it.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2144 posts
711 upvotes
Mississauga
How long has it been installed? I got micropro sienna pressure treated wood earlier this summer. It was brown when installed but slowly turned yellow 3-4 weeks later as it dried.

Got mine stained with Cutek Extreme walnut but it is quite pricey. TWP and Armstrong Clark are good alternate brands you can get from the US which are priced cheaper.
Check out this thread > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/buying- ... k-1479009/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1152 posts
371 upvotes
London, ON
it is about 3 weeks now, i did that test , some of them don't seem to be dried yet.

But i want I'd like to have the stain ready..

I think I just want to go clear and not always have to stain it with a color .
Dec 25, 2012
480 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 3:57 pm
How long has it been installed? I got micropro sienna pressure treated wood earlier this summer. It was brown when installed but slowly turned yellow 3-4 weeks later as it dried.

Got mine stained with Cutek Extreme walnut but it is quite pricey. TWP and Armstrong Clark are good alternate brands you can get from the US which are priced cheaper.
Check out this thread > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/buying- ... k-1479009/
Do you have pictures of what it looked like? Thinking of using the same product..
JS
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2144 posts
711 upvotes
Mississauga
sk1001 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 8:07 pm
it is about 3 weeks now, i did that test , some of them don't seem to be dried yet.

But i want I'd like to have the stain ready..

I think I just want to go clear and not always have to stain it with a color .
Cutek, TWP and Armstrong Clark all have clear stain. I'm not sure about the later two but the Cutek clear oil just protects the wood from moisture, splitting etc. Becuase it is clear the wood will still silver as it ages with sun exposure.
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 8:59 pm
Do you have pictures of what it looked like? Thinking of using the same product..
I'll get some.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2144 posts
711 upvotes
Mississauga
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 8:59 pm
Here you go...

The wood looked like this when installed. Brown with a hint of red undertone. I wish I could keep it this way.

I do not have pictures after it lost most of the moisture. See the center beam without stain for a rough idea of the colour, most of the red undertones were gone as it was a bit more brownish-yellow. It looks much closer in colour to my door and window frames.
I had just applied the 2nd coat stain on the other parts of the deck and it had dried for a day or two.

2nd coat of cutek stain fully dried.

Same wood was used for my fence boards a few weeks earlier by a different contractor
The left fence board has been outdoor for about 8 weeks.
The center has been in my shed for 8 weeks. Dried a little but still has some moisture and a hint of red.
The right has one coat of stain

The way I understand it is that brown is a mixture of RGB(red, green and blue). Initially the wood has a deeper brown because of the red undertones from reddish copper infused in the pressure treated wood. As the copper oxides and added more green undertones the wood starts to look more yellow. Eventually the wood itself gets weathered enough that it turns grey.

Here is thesame center fence board on my deck board in the shade.