• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 8:34 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes

Budget air cancellation

Hello,
My husband and kids purchased air tickets thru budget air departure date Dec 16 from toronto to karachi Turkish Airlines. Budget air sent us new tickets saying that arrival time in karachi is 4;50 am before it was 3:30 am. Increasing layover time in istanbul before was 4 hrs 5 minutes, changed to 5 hrs 25 minutes.
Can we request for cancellation and full refund. purchased tickets through td first class travel visa infinite.
Please advice how to proceed with my request.
Thanks
17 replies
Aug 3, 2017
672 posts
485 upvotes
ShaziaP85553 wrote: Hello,
My husband and kids purchased air tickets thru budget air departure date Dec 16 from toronto to karachi Turkish Airlines. Budget air sent us new tickets saying that arrival time in karachi is 4;50 am before it was 3:30 am. Increasing layover time in istanbul before was 4 hrs 5 minutes, changed to 5 hrs 25 minutes.
Can we request for cancellation and full refund. purchased tickets through td first class travel visa infinite.
Thanks
You can always make a request, but an itinerary change this minor doesn’t mean you will be successful.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35831 posts
9914 upvotes
Ottawa
It is just a small change in scheduling.....no real reason to cancel or ask for a refund. Airlines are allowed to make schedule changes.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 3, 2009
849 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
As far as I can tell Budget Air is a travel agent and not an airline.

If this is true then the rules for cancelling and refund are based on the travel agent and you agreed to them when you booked.

What did the rules say?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4691 posts
4214 upvotes
So you're going to fight with an airline to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket because GASP! Turkish Airlines made your layover 1:20 (yes, ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES) longer so you land at youir destination 1 hour 20 min later than originally planned? Is that 1 hour 20 min going to ruin your travel plans so much you need to call off the whole thing or rebook with another airline with a more favorable itinerary? Is there a connecting flight or bus (or whatever) you'll miss that you aren't telling us about? I seriously doubt you are going there to catch a cruise ship and this later arrival means you miss the boat...

All I can say is, find another hill to die on. The smart move is to take the damn trip. There's something you aren't telling us.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2371 posts
759 upvotes
ShaziaP85553 wrote: Hello,
Thanks
Sounds like the real story is that they do not want to go on the trip!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1363 posts
1185 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. The extra layover is a crime against humanity.
Mar 8, 2004
439 posts
232 upvotes
Kanata
Maybe they were planning on canceling anyway and are hoping this change would give them a better chance of a refund?
[OP]
Aug 27, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes
Yes, due to covid there are changes in the plan, and we are just wondering if we can make this as a reason as well.

Thanks
Dec 28, 2011
919 posts
463 upvotes
Midland
ShaziaP85553 wrote: Yes, due to covid there are changes in the plan, and we are just wondering if we can make this as a reason as well.

Thanks
So.... Budget Air (Third Party travel agency) good luck getting for cancelled flight.

Lesson learned ... book directly with Turkish Airlines.. they probably would of cancelled your flight and refund
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1155 posts
751 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I've had Westjet change my flights (sometimes meaning I will arrive 1-2 hours later or sometimes meaning I will arrive at my destination or leave my destination almost 12-24 hours from what I originally booked.

I've never requested my money back but depending on the change that they made, I generally will call them to change what they've done which they of course allow me to do for free.

For me, it sounds as if the original poster has second thoughts about the trip and is just trying to get a refund back on non-refundable tickets.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4691 posts
4214 upvotes
ShaziaP85553 wrote: Yes, due to covid there are changes in the plan, and we are just wondering if we can make this as a reason as well.
Thanks
You screwed yourself by 1-booking a non-refundable ticket 2-using a third party reseller. Turkish didn't cancel your flight (in which case you would have had SOME shot at a refund, but even that's not guaranteed). A 1 hour 20 minute adjustment to your schedule is well within the rights of an airline. Unless you have travel cancellation insurance and your reasons for backing out are covered by that policy, you're stuck.

Best advice -- you planned the trip, you paid for it non-refundable, might as well take it.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Banned
Jul 23, 2020
473 posts
413 upvotes
I can't speak to this specific airlines but ANY change on Air Canada and other airlines I have flown allow for a full refund.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1189 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
Slim to no chance of a refund unless Canada or Pakistan close their borders to air travel.
Banned
Jul 23, 2020
473 posts
413 upvotes
Look at all the bad advice in this thread from people sour this guy wants to cancel. Why do you even care?

For Turkish Airlines, if the flight time changes by 15 minutes or more you are eligible for a FULL REFUND.
Mar 3, 2009
849 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sooonk wrote: Look at all the bad advice in this thread from people sour this guy wants to cancel. Why do you even care?

For Turkish Airlines, if the flight time changes by 15 minutes or more you are eligible for a FULL REFUND.
Sure - but he / she didn't book with Turkish airlines. He / she booked with a travel agent. The travel agency policies apply. Turkish airlines cannot take control of this ticket since he / she booked with a travel agent.

So back to my question - what policies did the OP agree to when booking?
Mar 3, 2009
849 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sooonk wrote: I can't speak to this specific airlines but ANY change on Air Canada and other airlines I have flown allow for a full refund.
Go and tell that to the thousands of Canadians who are waiting on refunds for flights that Air Canada cancelled. Only travel vouchers are being offered right now.

You're statement was mostly correct pre COVID, but not now unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8529 posts
1408 upvotes
Vancouver
Call budget air. They call Turkish if Turkish says ok to refund you might be in luck. Budget may change you some admin fee.

No harm in asking. Flying to Pakistan in general you don’t have a lot of options so it would be hard to argue this change really impacts you as I doubt another airline could deliver you at your desired time.

Never hurts to ask
Autocorrect sucks