• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 4:05 am
[OP]
Jan 18, 2016
11 posts
Toronto, ON

Budget Laptop for Parents

http://www.nmicrovip.ca/amd-a12-9700p-1 ... furbished/

Would the above be a good deal? Parents would use it mostly for browsing and watching videos while plugged into a TV monitor.

Bought a similar laptop from the same retailer a month back but with Intel chip set and the stock fan was loud as hell even while idle so i returned it. Hopefully it was an issue from that particular laptop and not an issue common to the make. Can't confirm since the model is no longer available on the retailer's website.

Looked around and the above was still the cheapest I could find with still respective specs so decided to give the retailer another try.

I've not had any experience with AMD chipsets but I've heard that they typically runs hotter compared to Intel and hence the stock fan would be louder?
10 replies
Oct 18, 2004
363 posts
221 upvotes
Windsor
That ASUS laptop if I recall that you returned. Shame about that fan it was well priced. In regards to a good deal based against the needs of your parents, I'd say pass, I'm not too sure of what age or technology background your parents have, but if they're like mine in their 60's I'd be included to go new. Unless you live or you're at your parents often, you're their IT guy and used units can bring you a lot of headache. Alternatively, if none of this matters AND you're going to be using the laptop as well, then the one above is decent. The fan will likely become a problem on most of these low to low mid range laptops as you push the performance levels even on ULV type processors as in the case with this AMD A12.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Our Asus laptops have been ok except that in all of them the battery died quickly. If you're buying a refurb, better check the battery status.

I think you should buy a higher performance model with SSD for your parents. They're older - they have less time left than you to be waiting around for Windows to boot and bloatware to load.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
get one from costco, i got one on special for like 550 + tx
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Jun 10, 2006
436 posts
101 upvotes
If just "browsing and watching videos", isn't a Chromebook a great fit for these folks?
Mar 26, 2008
459 posts
176 upvotes
i don't know how you define 'budget', but this is not a budget laptop. it's on the higher end side of things (especially for just browsing), with a high end screen, although the slow hard drive should be replaced with an SSD. you would be overpaying for the screen if your parents are going to plug it into a TV.
something like this is a budget laptop that's good enough for just browsing:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... 93596.aspx?
or if you are tech savy, you can get something off kijji for 100$.
also, if the computer is just going to be hooked up to a tv, a desktop does the same thing.
Jun 10, 2006
436 posts
101 upvotes
danron1376 wrote: i don't know how you define 'budget', but this is not a budget laptop. it's on the higher end side of things (especially for just browsing), with a high end screen, although the slow hard drive should be replaced with an SSD. you would be overpaying for the screen if your parents are going to plug it into a TV.
something like this is a budget laptop that's good enough for just browsing:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... 93596.aspx?
or if you are tech savy, you can get something off kijji for 100$.
also, if the computer is just going to be hooked up to a tv, a desktop does the same thing.
Not sure, but if the T410s only has VGA/Displayport for video output, an HDMI adapter would be required as well -- unless the TV has those other options.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17124 posts
9862 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If your parents are just going to be plugging it in a TV, then why brother with the laptop? Get one of those refurb small form factor desktops (like this Lenovo - https://ca.refurb.io/collections/deskto ... 0gb-dvd-rw - for $233) and call it a day. If they want to put the keyboard away when they aren't using it, get a wireless keyboard and mouse set for them.
Mar 26, 2008
459 posts
176 upvotes
darethehair wrote: Not sure, but if the T410s only has VGA/Displayport for video output, an HDMI adapter would be required as well -- unless the TV has those other options.
yeah, my bad for not checking whether the laptop has an hdmi port or not. was just giving an example of specs for what a budget laptop would look like plus price. there are plenty of other laptops within that price range on the website. just make sure to get one that has hdmi.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12319 posts
1869 upvotes
Kanata
Check out Bauer Systems. They have some good pricing, or wait for another 40% off with Dell Refurbished.