• Jul 22nd, 2020 12:21 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5884 posts
2242 upvotes
Toronto

Budget Lighting Kit

Hi guys. Needing to do some video production; have an Elgato green screen ordered, using Sony 6500 + 35mm, Logitech 922s webcam, iPhone 11 Pro Max. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I was looking at this one: Neewer Photography Bi-color Dimmable LED Softbox Lighting Kit:20x27 inches Studio Softbox: https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Photograph ... ast_sto_dp
Any suggestions?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
How budget are you?

Lots of questions to ask yourself:
1) Are you going to be making money with this?
2) Do you need to be portable? Do you need to be off site?
3) Is it a controlled environment? Do you need to fight the sun? Are you using this outdoors?
4) What are you shooting? Product? People? Static?
5) Do you need ability to use wireless controls?

I don't know about the Neewer set but usually China brands provide craptastic light stands. Invest in good light stands especially if you need to pack up quickly, load into cars. Cheap ones fall apart real fast. I forgot what brand I have but it made me feel so good and confident.

Budget is a dangerous word, you can end up breaking stuff or finding incompatible with growth as you build out your system. Any pro will have budget horror stories to share. Back in my day we had one crappy set that died a little more every use.
Jul 31, 2017
414 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
If you're doing this professionally, forget Neewer. I don't know about their LED's but their strobes are junk for anything more than personal projects. Their C stands are OK (except the knuckles) but i wouldn't be comfortable putting any equipment on the ones that comes with this kit. I'm not suggesting you spend a fortune, but the entire kit is less than one decent Avenger C Stand, that should be a clue about the overall quality.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5430 posts
873 upvotes
A large window would be easy on the budget.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)