• May 29th, 2010 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto

Budget Rent-A-Car Questions

Hello to my fellow Rfders... I'm thinking of renting a car for a short 5 day road trip through Budget but I have a few questions for Y'all. :)

We're heading to Connecticut and I'm thinking of leaving early morning on July 17th so therefore I gotta pick up on the 16th before closing and returning on Monday the 21st before 6pm.

1. My sister has an executive Costco membership but will not be accompanying us on this trip... if I went through Costco's discount would they ask to check to verify membership?? .. anyone with experience can comment??

2. The price/availability to rent an SUV is outta this world so I'm thinking a Ford Taurus will do. Because we're bringing fish back in a 100 qt cooler, can anyone comment on this trunk size and what yr make of Taurus's that Budget currently uses?

3. I live in Richmond Hill and will be renting from the Yonge & Elgin Mill location.. anyone with good/bad experiences from there?... comments..

4. Any other tips on renting cars with Budget for a trip to the US??.. as you can tell I've never rented a car like this before.

Much Thanks to all :)
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6766 upvotes
You're not guaranteed a specific model of car, only one within your class. So you may receive a Taurus, or possibly a Malibu/Impala/Sebring/Camry (if you rent within that class). Therefore, you may wish to check if a 100qt cooler will fit within a variety of models within your class.

As well, maybe things are different in Ontario, but in Alberta we're not allowed to leave the province without notifying them, and the contract clearly states we are not to enter the US.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: You're not guaranteed a specific model of car, only one within your class. So you may receive a Taurus, or possibly a Malibu/Impala/Sebring/Camry (if you rent within that class). Therefore, you may wish to check if a 100qt cooler will fit within a variety of models within your class.

As well, maybe things are different in Ontario, but in Alberta we're not allowed to leave the province without notifying them, and the contract clearly states we are not to enter the US.
Really?.. I thought Budget is one of the few that allows ppl to travel across border or am I mistaken??
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
It depends on your location.

Since the US is pretty far from where I am (in AB) travel to the US doesn't come up very often, so it may be forbidden. Hell.. some of the snootier rental places don't even allow cross province driving.

When I visit Vancouver, some rental agencies allow it without further question and others allow it with a mention. There's probably some that charge/request advance notification/etc too.

Your best bet is to phone the actual location that you're renting from and ask:
1. Cross Border
2. What cars they normally stock in X class

As for your questions:
1. Some places verify eligibility of discounts. There's no yes/no answer as the Store level (even the employee level) seems to dictate if they verify or not.
2. Even if you do find out that X location has Y car, you're not guaranteed Y. Most rental places have the latest year of car. Last few cars I rented with any rental agency were all 2010.
3. I'm no where near there so I can't help.
4. Double check to see if your insurance/credit card has coverage on Rental cars and what it offers. Rental insurance can run upwards of $30 per day. (On my policy) Rentals are covered upto a $50k vehicle. Same goes with my credit card. Make sure that it also covers out of Country use.

Since you're renting for a longer period of time, consider renting for a week. it's usually only a few bucks more than 5 days. This way you can return it at your leisure.

From personal experience, I've moved to Avis. I've rented from a few places, and they tend to be cheaper (with appropriate codes) and have the best service.
With my Preferred card (free) I'm in and out within minutes.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1767 posts
287 upvotes
If you are concerned with space and find that the SUV's are way overpriced consider renting a minivan. I think the minivans usually coming in at around the same price as a full size rental.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: It depends on your location.

Since the US is pretty far from where I am (in AB) travel to the US doesn't come up very often, so it may be forbidden. Hell.. some of the snootier rental places don't even allow cross province driving.

When I visit Vancouver, some rental agencies allow it without further question and others allow it with a mention. There's probably some that charge/request advance notification/etc too.

Your best bet is to phone the actual location that you're renting from and ask:
1. Cross Border
2. What cars they normally stock in X class

As for your questions:
1. Some places verify eligibility of discounts. There's no yes/no answer as the Store level (even the employee level) seems to dictate if they verify or not.
2. Even if you do find out that X location has Y car, you're not guaranteed Y. Most rental places have the latest year of car. Last few cars I rented with any rental agency were all 2010.
3. I'm no where near there so I can't help.
4. Double check to see if your insurance/credit card has coverage on Rental cars and what it offers. Rental insurance can run upwards of $30 per day. (On my policy) Rentals are covered upto a $50k vehicle. Same goes with my credit card. Make sure that it also covers out of Country use.

Since you're renting for a longer period of time, consider renting for a week. it's usually only a few bucks more than 5 days. This way you can return it at your leisure.

From personal experience, I've moved to Avis. I've rented from a few places, and they tend to be cheaper (with appropriate codes) and have the best service.
With my Preferred card (free) I'm in and out within minutes.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto
calgaryhhr wrote: If you are concerned with space and find that the SUV's are way overpriced consider renting a minivan. I think the minivans usually coming in at around the same price as a full size rental.
Actually my first choice is a minivan but it's actually the most expensive of all and it's the hardest to find availability.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1767 posts
287 upvotes
4flava wrote: Actually my first choice is a minivan but it's actually the most expensive of all and it's the hardest to find availability.
Wow, that is crazy. Minivans are quite easy to find here in Calgary.

I was getting some price quotes last week for a rental to go to a wedding. The minivans were the cheapest large vehicle option. A standard SUV (5 passenger) was just under twice as much and a full size SUV (7 passenger) was more than 2.5 times the cost of a minivan. Interestingly enough a mid size SUV (they listed the vehicle as a Ford Escape or similar) was the most expensive at more than 3 times the cost of a minivan.

Getting a good price on a car rental can be really frustrating. Good luck.
May 12, 2005
675 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
I've rented from Budget before using my Costco card and they've always asked to see it, but then it's always been in the US. Maybe they don't ask in Canada?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1387 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
I rent from Budget all the time and can answer most of your questions.

I rent mostly from the College and Spadina location and I've never had to show my Costco executive card whenever I rent the car. Using the Costco discount code though, they do ask for your company but I've never had to show my card. Like other posters have said, it really depends on the staff. It helps when you actually know the staff as well. :lol:

As for cars, you don't know until you are actually at the location at pick up. You will get something along that class and that includes mostly Impalas and Sebrings. They often have Japanese and Korean cars there as well, I've rented an Altima and a Sonata before. You probably won't find anything full size from Toyota or Honda. Out of all the cars that I've rented, Impala has the biggest trunk.

Fitting a 100 qt cooler into any of these cars will take up most of the trunk... I dare to say >85% of usable trunk space. I have a 52 qt cooler and it doesn't leave much room for other things. Bear in mind that the trunks are not always boxed shape and not completely flat.

You won't have a problem driving the cars into the US, Budget definitely allow that.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto
bst wrote: I rent from Budget all the time and can answer most of your questions.

I rent mostly from the College and Spadina location and I've never had to show my Costco executive card whenever I rent the car. Using the Costco discount code though, they do ask for your company but I've never had to show my card. Like other posters have said, it really depends on the staff. It helps when you actually know the staff as well. :lol:

As for cars, you don't know until you are actually at the location at pick up. You will get something along that class and that includes mostly Impalas and Sebrings. They often have Japanese and Korean cars there as well, I've rented an Altima and a Sonata before. You probably won't find anything full size from Toyota or Honda. Out of all the cars that I've rented, Impala has the biggest trunk.

Fitting a 100 qt cooler into any of these cars will take up most of the trunk... I dare to say >85% of usable trunk space. I have a 52 qt cooler and it doesn't leave much room for other things. Bear in mind that the trunks are not always boxed shape and not completely flat.

You won't have a problem driving the cars into the US, Budget definitely allow that.

Thanks buddy much appreciate your input but I have another question that I also posted in the Hertz thread.

So incase the car breaks down for some odd reason who is responsible for the repairs???.... btw, my TD Gold Visa has Rental car insurance coverage....

thanks.!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1387 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
4flava wrote: Thanks buddy much appreciate your input but I have another question that I also posted in the Hertz thread.

So incase the car breaks down for some odd reason who is responsible for the repairs???.... btw, my TD Gold Visa has Rental car insurance coverage....

thanks.!
The insurance from your TD Gold Visa covers accidental damage and not any mechanical break downs that you may face. Basically replacing the insurance coverage you can buy when you pick up the car.

Budget is responsible for all mechanical problems of the car, so if your car does break down mechanically during your trip, you can head to any budget location in North America to either switch cars or see if they can fix it. Though, I've never had any experiences with this.

One thing to add is that tire puncture or flat tire is your responsibility, so you have to pay, at your own expenses, to replace a tire.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9709 posts
1914 upvotes
Toronto
bst wrote: The insurance from your TD Gold Visa covers accidental damage and not any mechanical break downs that you may face. Basically replacing the insurance coverage you can buy when you pick up the car.

Budget is responsible for all mechanical problems of the car, so if your car does break down mechanically during your trip, you can head to any budget location in North America to either switch cars or see if they can fix it. Though, I've never had any experiences with this.

One thing to add is that tire puncture or flat tire is your responsibility, so you have to pay, at your own expenses, to replace a tire.
Thanks for clarifying!.. I owe ya one buddy!
cheers! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1387 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
4flava wrote: Thanks for clarifying!.. I owe ya one buddy!
cheers! :)
Just helping out :)

Anymore questions, just let me know
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
bst wrote: The insurance from your TD Gold Visa covers accidental damage and not any mechanical break downs that you may face. Basically replacing the insurance coverage you can buy when you pick up the car.

You cannot leave a Canadian-owned Budget (or any rental) car in the USA and swap for an American-owned vehicle to drive home in, just as there is no such thing as a one-way cross-border rental. Canadian residents are specifically prohibited by Canadian federal law from driving any US-registered rental vehicle north across the border into Canada (for any period of time.)

If you have car problems the manufacturer's new vehicle warranty may apply and in that case Budget may simply refer you to the manufacturer's roadside assistance number in case of a major mechanical meltdown. Make sure you check the engine oil at every fill and other fluids regularly during your trip as you can be held responsible for damage resulting from insufficient fluid levels or excessively dirty oil (it's in all the Rental Agreements.) Also make sure you don't drive the vehicle on any gravel roads at any time or you could find yourself dangling in the breeze in case of any collision or major mechanical problems (remember, virtually all rental vehicles have GPS tracking devices concealed inside them so the rental company always knows exactly where you are.)

Everyone should be aware that as with most rental car companies, some of the Cendant (Budget and Avis) network's local operations are Corporately owned, and some are franchisees/licensees. Calgary's Budget operations, for example, are run by a long-timee franchisee, while the city's Avis master operation and two rental locations are Corporate with the remaining locations run by Agency Operators. Rate structures are often completely different between corporate and franchised locations, and the availability of vehicles for exchange may be limited or nil at franchisees. I rent a fair bit and absolutely dread dealing with franchisees and agency ops, since they tend to make a big deal about every little nick and ding and are much quicker to charge you extra cleaning fees if the car is not returned as clean as they like. Franchisees are also more likely to have per-mile charges in their rates and often won't let you drive outside the province or maybe one adjacent province without paying extra charges.