• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 10:12 am
[OP]
Apr 9, 2015
202 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Budget tablet for YouTube

Anyone have any recommendations for cheap tablets? All I need it to do is to be able to run YouTube..
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4564 posts
1931 upvotes
GTA
Youtube and amazon don't seem to be getting along for the time being, so their youtube app won't work on their tablets. You can watch youtube through a browser though.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12319 posts
1869 upvotes
Kanata
shabby wrote: Youtube and amazon don't seem to be getting along for the time being, so their youtube app won't work on their tablets. You can watch youtube through a browser though.
Is that true? I understood it to be that they removed support from the echo and fire TV but not tablets since it's not available in the amazon app store and the fire devices don't come with google play installed anyways?
I was looking to get a couple of fire tablets so it would be very helpful to know if youtube is indeed blocked (not just installing the app but using the app).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6780 posts
3077 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Takes 5 minutes and you have google and all of its apps available... did on several AMZN Fire 8 and 10 tablets.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4564 posts
1931 upvotes
GTA
goofball wrote: Is that true? I understood it to be that they removed support from the echo and fire TV but not tablets
Ya you're right, originally i thought it was for all amazon devices but its just for echo/fire tv.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12319 posts
1869 upvotes
Kanata
georvu wrote: Takes 5 minutes and you have google and all of its apps available... did on several AMZN Fire 8 and 10 tablets.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/
I know how to do that, that wasn't the question. The question was with respect to youtube access through the app bring blocked from the Amazon fire tablet, which it seems it is not. Don't want to have to use a browser to access YouTube on a tablet.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10519 posts
2879 upvotes
Winnipeg
my kids never used the youtube app.

Always browser based youtube
Mar 26, 2008
459 posts
176 upvotes
is screen size an issue? there is a clear difference in experience between 7 and 10 inch tablets
[OP]
Apr 9, 2015
202 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
danron1376 wrote: is screen size an issue? there is a clear difference in experience between 7 and 10 inch tablets
I would say bigger is better.. unless the smaller size is a great value, I would prefer the larger 10
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2261 posts
110 upvotes
There are soooooo many tablets now. I don't remember what was in Costco but there were some there....then I noticed how many there are in Walmart. I guess Best Buy has a bunch...how do you know which ones to get or which features are 'must have?'
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22153 posts
26008 upvotes
Toronto
The Fido 'free' LG GPad IV is all over Kijiji and the BST forums too BNIB for around $200. I've got its predecessor. Great battery life, good display. 8" screen.

Runs Android 7 Nougat .

The GPad III is cool because it also features a full size USB port for media playback.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll