• May 31st, 2019 10:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
288 posts
123 upvotes
GTA

Bugs in Algonquin

I am taking a canoe trip in Algonquin next week. How bad are the bugs right now? Bug report says it is moderate. Anyone has been there recently? Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15481 posts
12676 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nioero wrote: I am taking a canoe trip in Algonquin next week. How bad are the bugs right now? Bug report says it is moderate. Anyone has been there recently? Thanks!
I haven’t been thru Algonquin yet this summer.

But with all the rain & cool weather, I figure it’s similar to other parts of Eastern Ontario / West Quebec that are on the same latitude.

It’s too dang cool here right now.. we are about a month behind, so the weather is more like late April than going into early June.

Bugs need HEAT to wake up ... that has not happened yet.

Hence why the readings are moderate ... vs a time when the black flies would be really bad, and mosquitos getting underway

Next week, 7 or more days from now... all bets are off. Things could change rapidly.
If we see any sort of temps above 20 C (high 60s F and up)
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
288 posts
123 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: I haven’t been thru Algonquin yet this summer.

But with all the rain & cool weather, I figure it’s similar to other parts of Eastern Ontario / West Quebec that are on the same latitude.

It’s too dang cool here right now.. we are about a month behind, so the weather is more like late April than going into early June.

Bugs need HEAT to wake up ... that has not happened yet.

Hence why the readings are moderate ... vs a time when the black flies would be really bad, and mosquitos getting underway

Next week, 7 or more days from now... all bets are off. Things could change rapidly.
If we see any sort of temps above 20 C (high 60s F and up)
Thanks for the response. I will be there Wednesday to Friday. Let’s hope it is not too bad.
Images
  • 236E07AE-90EF-492C-8688-668AFDAA6668.png
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15481 posts
12676 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nioero wrote: Thanks for the response. I will be there Wednesday to Friday. Let’s hope it is not too bad.
When you come back share an update ... as I am sure others will want to know the bug situation, and your findings on the park in general this season. Questions posed about Algonquin are always popping up, and it’s a case of not a lot of folks live in the area or drive Hwy 60 thru on a regular basis (Lol, it’s like 2 different worlds on both sides of the park in some ways ... rural farmland Eastern Ontario vs Cottage Country / Muskoka)