Build second floor on bungalow

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2021 10:18 am
[OP]
Apr 11, 2021
5 posts

Build second floor on bungalow

Hello guys - newbie here
Wanted some advice. we've outgrown our bungalow and was thinking about moving. Seeing how crazy the RE market is, building up seems like an interesting idea. But not sure where to start, which builder to trust, how much this would costs etc? Can you guys shed some light?

Current situation 1000 sq raised bungalow sitting on 60x140 lot.
Looking to build second floor approx 650-700 sq ft. 3 bedrooms and 2 washrooms and laundry room. - nothing to big.

Questions
1. Is building up on a 1950 bungalow a good idea, bad, crazy?
2. Any recommendation on builders who do this kind of work?
3. What am I looking at based on cost? i dont even know where to start? is it half a million? few hundred thousand?
4. any other watchouts?

thanks
17 replies
Sep 18, 2008
858 posts
207 upvotes
Woodbridge
indecretious wrote: Hello guys - newbie here
Wanted some advice. we've outgrown our bungalow and was thinking about moving. Seeing how crazy the RE market is, building up seems like an interesting idea. But not sure where to start, which builder to trust, how much this would costs etc? Can you guys shed some light?

Looking to build second floor approx 650-700 sq ft. 3 bedrooms and 2 washrooms and laundry room. - nothing to big.

Questions
3. What am I looking at based on cost? i dont even know where to start? is it half a million? few hundred thousand?
4. any other watchouts?

thanks
It costs roughly $350/sqf to build.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4834 posts
3701 upvotes
indecretious wrote: Hello guys - newbie here

Questions
4. any other watchouts?

thanks
I'm no expert but that's a lot to build in a space that size. Forget the laundry unless you put it in the bathroom, but it still would be too small. The bedrooms will be quite small too.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4552 posts
2497 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I'm no expert but that's a lot to build in a space that size. Forget the laundry unless you put it in the bathroom, but it still would be too small. The bedrooms will be quite small too.
It's enough, just won't be spacious. Plenty of homes in Toronto have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom in under 600 sf on the second floor. Rooms won't be massive, but not everybody needs palatial bedrooms.

OP: I'd probably budget 3-400/sf, or $225-275k for that. Keep in mind if you want to renovate the main floor as well (eg not a bungalow with rolls thrown on top), that'd cost extra.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4834 posts
3701 upvotes
hvc wrote: It's enough, just won't be spacious. Plenty of homes in Toronto have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom in under 600 sf on the second floor. Rooms won't be massive, but not everybody needs palatial bedrooms.
Well that's my home too hence the comment about the laundry. I can't see how a laundry room could fit without it being cramped, which is really all I was saying. But I get OP may want to get rid of the one in the main floor...maybe stackable washer and dryer on the 2nd floor?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4552 posts
2497 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Well that's my home too hence the comment about the laundry. I can't see how a laundry room could fit without it being cramped, which is really all I was saying. But I get OP may want to get rid of the one in the main floor...maybe stackable washer and dryer on the 2nd floor?
Right.. I was thinking more of a laundry "closet", so figured it'd fit in the extra 100+ sf, but if they want a legit laundry room then yeah it won't fit comfortably.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4834 posts
3701 upvotes
hvc wrote: Right.. I was thinking more of a laundry "closet", so figured it'd fit in the extra 100+ sf, but if they want a legit laundry room then yeah it won't fit comfortably.
He also said 2 washrooms...comparing it to my space can't see how that's doable either... also to have two bathrooms in such close proximity to each other doesn't make much sense to me. I would do a laundry room over a second bathroom.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4552 posts
2497 upvotes
hierophant wrote: He also said 2 washrooms...comparing it to my space can't see how that's doable either... also to have two bathrooms in such close proximity to each other doesn't make much sense to me. I would do a laundry room over a second bathroom.
Wow yeah I misread that first post.. agree with you it'll be tight/impossible at 700sf.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2021
5 posts
Thank you HVC and Hierophant
Yeah I wasnt thinking massive rooms..

Master bedroom with washroom inside maybe 225 sq (15x15)
2 bedrooms each at 169 sqft (338 total) (13x13 each)
laundry at (65 sq ft) - enough for a washer dryer small sink and some minimal storage (8x8)
second washroom 36 sq feet.. (6x6)

I think thats roughly 665 sq ft total..

so i'm looking at 350/sq ft to build? wow thats alot...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46288 posts
9304 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
indecretious wrote: Thank you HVC and Hierophant

laundry at (65 sq ft) - enough for a washer dryer small sink and some minimal storage (8x8)

Yah. But once you look around and realize “damn... $1,500,000!?!”

You start to rethink that.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2021
5 posts
UrbanPoet wrote: Yah. But once you look around and realize “damn... $1,500,000!?!”

You start to rethink that.
so you recommend the build up?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4377 posts
785 upvotes
indecretious wrote: Thank you HVC and Hierophant

you're missing sqft for closets, hallway, stairs, linen, others
you should also get more sqft to lower your cost per sqft, alot of soft costs are fixed
[OP]
Apr 11, 2021
5 posts
mingyang wrote: you're missing sqft for closets, hallway, stairs, linen, others
you should also get more sqft to lower your cost per sqft, alot of soft costs are fixed
i was assuming closets built into the dimensions above..
hallways - YES, i missed that so thank you.

thank you for the feedback on trying to get more sqft to lower cost/sqft
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46288 posts
9304 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
indecretious wrote: so you recommend the build up?
Yah. I was in that situation. Multi-generational home. So needed more space.
Upper beach home. Worth about $1 milly now.
Wanted to stay in the same area... But needed 2 extra bedrooms + 1 extra bath room. & @ least 1 on property parking (actually a rarity around here).
So we thought okay... got $1 milly @ least. Just add a few hundred thou maybe $300-$400k we really have to.
The properties with the attributes desired were $2-$3 milly! We’re thinking what da fuh...

Now its better to add a 2 story rear addition and reno in another bathroom lol.

Try doing the window shopping exercise.

See how much your property will sell for
And see how much it cost to buy the property with attributes you want.

Its like that show “love it or list it” (Toronto version). they never list it! They always love it... except the Vancouver edition where they sell and move 2 hours away.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2051 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
I would recommend spending a bit of $ to see a designer and have a layout done. I do preliminary layouts in Live Home 3D(MAC). It's a decent size lot but 700sqft is going to be tight: staircase, washrooms, ensuite etc. If you go for it, you want to make sure you have a proper layout that suits your family. Depending on where you are you may need to go through the committee of adjustment if the size exceeds limits for small variance. You will also need a place to live for the time construction takes place. I did finish my build a year ago but mine was much larger.
Jan 27, 2021
62 posts
29 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Yah. I was in that situation. Multi-generational home. So needed more space.
Upper beach home. Worth about $1 milly now.
Wanted to stay in the same area... But needed 2 extra bedrooms + 1 extra bath room. & @ least 1 on property parking (actually a rarity around here).
So we thought okay... got $1 milly @ least. Just add a few hundred thou maybe $300-$400k we really have to.
The properties with the attributes desired were $2-$3 milly! We’re thinking what da fuh...

Now its better to add a 2 story rear addition and reno in another bathroom lol.

Try doing the window shopping exercise.

See how much your property will sell for
And see how much it cost to buy the property with attributes you want.

Its like that show “love it or list it” (Toronto version). they never list it! They always love it... except the Vancouver edition where they sell and move 2 hours away.
one hting your missing out is for those that have access to funds weather saved or loaned to do this extension.
sometimes it easier to sell and get a mortgage but again case by case
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12039 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
Costs are currently higher due to material shortages. It's going to be a while before anything can get done. But building up is definitely happening everywhere.
[OP]
Apr 11, 2021
5 posts
yeah.. just driving around i see this.
Update - i've spoken to a few builders and majority of them are between the 300-500k mark for a 700sft addition