Real Estate

Builder asking me to sign for city permit

  • Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 10:32 pm
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
475 posts
192 upvotes

Builder asking me to sign for city permit

Hi all my home is scheduled to deliver this September end how ever i received a notification last month that there will be unavoidable delay and they don't know about the new time lines but they keep be updated when they get the new date.

But today i received email from builder asking me to sign some paperwork for preliminary drawings to finalize the structural changes and sending the package to city for permit.

I replied back asking for new timelines and the response i got is that still they don't know . In this situation do i need to still sign the document and send them back ? i don't want to do something in this situation when i don't know when i will be getting house because i have to plan few things in advance from my end as well.

do i need to inform my lawyer about this and take their advise ?
8 replies
Member
Oct 26, 2007
291 posts
165 upvotes
I'd be more more concerned about what they are asking you to sign rather than delays. Structural changes? There trying to get you to sign for something different than what you had booked? Might be a chance for you to get out of the deal. Talk to your lawyer.
Newbie
Apr 25, 2017
89 posts
59 upvotes
A lot of builders sent out generic delay notices due to COVID-19. I know a few people on the GTA Durham thread received those notices but their closing dates didn't change.

So I think you need to reach out to the builder to clarify if your lot's closing date has changed or not. But I think the first (and more important) thing you should seek clarity is on the structural changes - are these items you are choosing as part of your upgrades or changes the builder is forcing on you?

Generally, I think it's good to talk to your lawyer. But I'll try to clarify with the builder first such that you have all the information.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
475 posts
192 upvotes
tmostafiz wrote: A lot of builders sent out generic delay notices due to COVID-19. I know a few people on the GTA Durham thread received those notices but their closing dates didn't change.

So I think you need to reach out to the builder to clarify if your lot's closing date has changed or not. But I think the first (and more important) thing you should seek clarity is on the structural changes - are these items you are choosing as part of your upgrades or changes the builder is forcing on you?

Generally, I think it's good to talk to your lawyer. But I'll try to clarify with the builder first such that you have all the information.
No nothing as such everything is what was initially discussed as per the plan .. they sent me same plan which i initially went through asking me to sign and send back . If i want to choose any exterior upgrades etc they said can't be done if they submit to the city and get approved.
Newbie
Apr 25, 2017
89 posts
59 upvotes
That's actually pretty common. The builder needs the sign-off from the owner on all structural upgrades (such as increased ceiling heights, additional windows etc.) before applying for the permits.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't mind making your choices as soon as you can? I would read through your contract if I were you - typically most builder contracts have a stipulation where they'll start charging additional fees if you don't make your choices based on their requests.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
475 posts
192 upvotes
tmostafiz wrote: That's actually pretty common. The builder needs the sign-off from the owner on all structural upgrades (such as increased ceiling heights, additional windows etc.) before applying for the permits.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't mind making your choices as soon as you can? I would read through your contract if I were you - typically most builder contracts have a stipulation where they'll start charging additional fees if you don't make your choices based on their requests.
so my concern here is not signing or builder giving me wrong document ...not knowing the date of occupancy even which month they will be giving house ...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5652 posts
5035 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: so my concern here is not signing or builder giving me wrong document ...not knowing the date of occupancy even which month they will be giving house ...
So what seems to be the problem...? Sign the documents or else it will just be delayed even further... How is the builder supposed to give you a timeframe if the building permit office is extremely backlogged and you won't even sign the docs they need to submit?
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
475 posts
192 upvotes
KanataKG wrote: So what seems to be the problem...? Sign the documents or else it will just be delayed even further... How is the builder supposed to give you a timeframe if the building permit office is extremely backlogged and you won't even sign the docs they need to submit?
no i am not saying i wont sign ..looks like its ok to sign based on ur comment
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
475 posts
192 upvotes
i also like to know if its good to choose double car garage over single car garage .. if it makes good resale value for future purpose may be that could be one thing i need to decide before structural sign off ?

Top