Builder build a backyard door without stairs/deck

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 12:52 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote: Yeah, but then they don't have access to the backyard from the main floor level. I wonder if access to the backyard from that door was assured or not.
Correct. I am hoping they will put in a deck for OP.

I just wanted to mention that they could simply put in a Juliet balcony (which is far easier and cheaper) as a workaround.

After reading the original post, I assumed most people did not consider the Juliet balcony workaround, so just wanted to post about it. I was impressed that @rigalpatel noted it.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Something else I noticed. It appears that the upper door does not have a lock set in it, where I think I can see one on the basement door.

This would make sense for safety purposes. The builder would not be allowed to have that main floor door accessible (to open) during building, or before he addresses the deck/Juliet situation.

If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure that he's got that upper door braced shut with a piece of wood from the inside. Of course this wouldn't apply to the basement, because there's no fall risk there.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: They likely had no choice because of the addition of the basement entrance. Based on the pic, it looks like there wouldn't be enough clearance to have the entrance on the side, versus jotting towards the backyard.

I still don't understand how some kind of sketch or architectural drawing wasn't reviewed before that level of customization.
yes, i fully agree. it's a shame since it's a sub division home, builder simply do not care! if it was a custom home then the engineer/architect would have reviewed the grading with owner then a better choice would have been made.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
Walkout deck will be built later. Walk up basement will have precast steps put in later too. Otherwise, no occupancy permit will be issued
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Walkout deck will be built later. Walk up basement will have precast steps put in later too. Otherwise, no occupancy permit will be issued
For sure, but the deck look s like it could greatly reduce headroom going down the stairs. It’s an aweful design, but should have been reviewed or thought through beforehand.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
It will look very ugly when done. I love to see the finished form though.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
the addition of basement entrance only makes sense if the house was a walkout lot since they sit on top of another. this house is a daylight/lookout lot watever they call it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
mingyang wrote: the addition of basement entrance only makes sense if the house was a walkout lot since they sit on top of another. this house is a daylight/lookout lot watever they call it.
If I had to guess, I’d guess the OP is planning on renting out the basement...

C
Jun 1, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
I know from the builders point of view if there are 7-13 risers they have to build a deck which you probably signed off on at the time of purchase.If its less than 6 risers they will provide steps at no cost
Jun 1, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
I know from the builders point of view if there are 7-13 risers they have to build a deck which you probably signed off on at the time of purchase.If its less than 6 risers they will provide steps at no cost

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)