Real Estate

Builder changed the floor plans without notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2021 9:28 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
242 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Builder changed the floor plans without notice?

I'm hoping we can get some clarification with this.

We bought a pre-construction house based off the floor plans in the brochure back in early 2020.
A week later after we signed the papers, the Builder showed updated floor plans, claiming that the ones in the brochure were dated, which were a huge departure from the original floor plans. We informed them that we weren't okay with the new floor plans, and we made agreed upon amendments to the floor plans. Seemed like both sides were happy at this point.

Due to COVID, construction was delayed, which came to no one's surprise. About a couple of days ago, we asked for an update from the Builder, at which point the site manager offered to show us the property in person. We were able to see the unit before drywall was put up and immediately noticed more floor plan changes were made without notice. When we asked about the additional partition walls, the site manager said that it was due to fire safety code. They partitioned each floor with more walls, to the point where each floor basically had a room. Almost like room rentals. What's worse, is that three floors had a fire hose cabinet that wasn't in any of the the floor plans. I've never seen a condo townhouse with a fire hose cabinet on almost each floor.

I've attached an image showcasing the new walls they added in pink, as well as the location of the fire hose cabinets.

Anyone know what's going on? Did they register this unit as something other than a SFH? Was the fire safety inspection done incorrectly? Or were they misinformed?

Thank you.
FloorPlan_Optimized.png
71 replies
Mar 11, 2021
2 posts
2 upvotes
Wow is that for real, those walls are terrible. I hope you can knock them down...
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1165 posts
1048 upvotes
ON
By adding more walls and doors I can’t even say the builder is doing this to cut costs...
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7564 posts
4902 upvotes
Victoria, BC
This would be completely unacceptable to me. I wish you luck with it. Hopefully somebody can chime in with some useful advice.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
1002 posts
873 upvotes
That's just crap, sorry this is happening to you. The worst is the door to another door on the first and fourth floors. Door to nothing.

Even if fire, wouldn't the second door suffice? I guess not? Obviously there must be a reason, they'd not do this for kicks.

Maybe the city/municipality can offer insight? Email the local councilor, maybe they can refer you to someone in the right dept to clarify. And see if you can track down other owners this may have happened to.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4333 posts
3916 upvotes
Ottawa
None of that makes sense. Are you sure you were in the correct unit? If so, time to talk to your lawyer to see what options are available to you at this point.
Apr 26, 2021
18 posts
7 upvotes
This is unacceptable. Agreed with poster above time to talk to your lawyer. Who is the builder?
May 31, 2017
302 posts
394 upvotes
If you bought off plan and they made unsolicited changes I'd check your contract and review your options with your lawyer...you should have some options available to you.

There are definitely inspectors who are power hungry clowns - and they may have had one...but the fire code answer is to get you to quietly accept it. One, they should have advised you of such a significant change to the plans and two, assuming the fire code excuse is legit, they probably had other options in the design and materials but they chose the cheapest solution (which is why you didn't get notice - they're trying to force you to take their $1000 in material solution). They probably stuck in some poorly fire rated insulation or some other low end material somewhere and an inspector caught it...basically, other solutions were likely available and may have been more costly - but that's not really your concern or an excuse for them to force you to accept something other then what you purchased. You should see if you can find out from the inspector or ask the builder for a copy of their report (if you get it from the builder try to validate you have the complete report with the town/inspector). And ask the builder what the other options were to accommodate the fire code and why you weren't given a choice...and there definitely had to be more then one solution...

Sadly, given how hot the market is, if you bought over a year ago they probably couldn't care if you walked from the purchase.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2003 posts
1107 upvotes
Id take the wall down, get the wood and sell on Kijiji because that shit is Gold nowadays.

In all honesty though: this sucks. I dont know about the hose neither. Ive been to a few homes and havent seen one ever.
Apr 7, 2012
413 posts
265 upvotes
Brampton
there must have been a fire code violation and they couldnt get building permits without installing the walls/water hose, that is the only thing that makes sense.

taking them down afterwards might make the OP insurance claim void if anything ever happens.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7564 posts
4902 upvotes
Victoria, BC
What does your contract say OP? I would have a lawyer go over this. I personally would want out at this point - what they've done sucks.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
242 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to hear opinions that match ours.

We have a meeting with our lawyer tomorrow, hopefully they can provide us with a solution.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1815 posts
753 upvotes
Calgary
building code may have change for your municipality hence requiring more walls/doors. Your contract may state something like this where changes could be done. Walking away from this deal would be a loss for you either way.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1165 posts
1048 upvotes
ON
What’s almost comical is that to go from the master bedroom to the ensuite you have to now pass two doors. It is no longer an ensuite because it is no longer accessible directly from the master bedroom.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1165 posts
1048 upvotes
ON
Biscayne05 wrote: Id take the wall down, get the wood and sell on Kijiji because that shit is Gold nowadays.
Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1815 posts
753 upvotes
Calgary
luckily they didnt put a door beside the walkin closet either.
May 27, 2007
15852 posts
3550 upvotes
Toronto
Oh my... the walls turned your hallway into a maze. That's horrible.

Contract your city's building department and speak with an inspector or plan reviewer that can go over your lot with you. I wouldn't trust anything the builder tells you unless it has been verified.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8997 posts
1686 upvotes
What the flying front door??? This is totally unacceptable.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 20, 2010
109 posts
16 upvotes
Kleinburg
Who is the builder and where is it located?