Real Estate

Builder changed the floor plans without notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2021 9:28 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19412 posts
17891 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
This can’t be real. They turned your home into a rooming house.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8121 posts
2075 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow those are major changes and they don’t even tell you before walk through.

I had a minor floor plan change without my knowledge as well. A door was placed 3ft earlier. I asked about it during walk though and he made up some story abt being mandatory. I didn’t pursue it but I’m curious if I can be compensated for it or should I just suck it up. The new door location makes more sense so it’s very likely the floor plan had it wrong. But they had sent me other floor plan changes that I had to sign. I guess this was missed and now I’m asking if I can capitalize on it or do I suck it up and carry along.
Mar 10, 2004
842 posts
326 upvotes
Holystone wrote: By adding more walls and doors I can’t even say the builder is doing this to cut costs...
Yup. Not sure what can be done when fire and safety are involved. I d probably be interested to know if the other towns are designed the same.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19412 posts
17891 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
jeeva86 wrote: Wow those are major changes and they don’t even tell you before walk through.

I had a minor floor plan change without my knowledge as well. A door was placed 3ft earlier. I asked about it during walk though and he made up some story abt being mandatory. I didn’t pursue it but I’m curious if I can be compensated for it or should I just suck it up. The new door location makes more sense so it’s very likely the floor plan had it wrong. But they had sent me other floor plan changes that I had to sign. I guess this was missed and now I’m asking if I can capitalize on it or do I suck it up and carry along.
Due to COVID I didn’t see the house until my PDI. At least there weren’t any major surprises but a walk through would have been nice.

There’s always a surprise though.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
3815 posts
2999 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Wow those are major changes and they don’t even tell you before walk through.

You can try, but I am sure they will gladly refund you your deposit if you are not happy with the floor plan change. :twisted:
Aug 11, 2020
124 posts
58 upvotes
OMG that sucks what builder is it? I hope you can take the walls down

As much as it is the builder's bad I would say, 99% of the time the contract protects the builder and say they can make changes if needed or whatever legal language they use
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7763 posts
5243 upvotes
Victoria, BC
William W wrote: You can try, but I am sure they will gladly refund you your deposit if you are not happy with the floor plan change. :twisted:
Then I would gladly take my deposit back. This floorplan is very weird, and I can't imagine anyone wanting it.
Feb 10, 2021
368 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Something smells wrong to me about this whole ordeal- not from your (buyer) end but most definitely from the builder. Have you tried to reach out and/or view the neighbouring units to see if the same amendments were made? Surely if this was a requirement by fire code the neighbouring units and/or unit type in other areas of the development had the same changes?

Believe it or not, we've had something similar happen with one of our family members whereas their home had 4 ft in total taking off of the width of their home (40ft to 36 ft). They delayed his visits as long as they could and only gave them inconvenient times for structural visits which they couldn't accommodate. By the time they did their first visit the brick was on the exterior of the home and the damage was done. Took the builder to court and got their compensation. They sold immediately upon occupancy but I'll never forget that story. Moral of the story; Talk to your lawyer!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1214 posts
974 upvotes
GVA
Chickinvic wrote: Then I would gladly take my deposit back. This floorplan is very weird, and I can't imagine anyone wanting it.
perhaps thats their intend, they can certainly sell higher now.
get an estimate of how much to remove those walls and doors and fire thing, I guess and go from there. It certainly doesnt seem right you need fire hose in each floor of a townhouse, crazy.
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
3815 posts
2999 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Then I would gladly take my deposit back. This floorplan is very weird, and I can't imagine anyone wanting it.
Given how crazy the market has gone since March 2020, property value has gone up 20%-30% in the last year, I can't see how anyone will be able to walk away as they will have to buy a home that is 20-30% smaller or pay another $140k to $210k if the original purchase price was $700k.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7763 posts
5243 upvotes
Victoria, BC
William W wrote: Given how crazy the market has gone since March 2020, property value has gone up 20%-30% in the last year, I can't see how anyone will be able to walk away as they will have to buy a home that is 20-30% smaller or pay another $140k to $210k if the original purchase price was $700k.
I couldn't tolerate that horrible chopped up floor plan. If they can't have it put back I'd walk.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1380 posts
724 upvotes
Torontario
if you guys looks carefully - it most likely fire-related regulations.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1203 posts
415 upvotes
ohnabatko wrote: if you guys looks carefully - it most likely fire-related regulations.
But what regulation would require a fire hose on each level of a residential home.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1405 posts
1452 upvotes
ON
My wild guess is that the builder goofed up on some code and making these absurd changes was the only (cheapest Winking Face) way to bring back the unit to code. I can’t imagine all units in the province being built in this manner to meet the fire codes.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to remove the walls?

Would something like HomeStars be a good choice to get a quote? Or are there better places to find licensed contractors?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1380 posts
724 upvotes
Torontario
Steven91 wrote: But what regulation would require a fire hose on each level of a residential home.
The one that says if your house is above 30 ft (or more than 3 floors) above grade, you need to have a stand-pipe system ;)
Quick search: http://www.buildingcode.online/306.html

My guess these revisions are based on firecode review of the building plans and contesting them would be pointless.
Apr 7, 2012
619 posts
600 upvotes
gta
Drethis wrote: Anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to remove the walls?

Would something like HomeStars be a good choice to get a quote? Or are there better places to find licensed contractors?
figure out if the adjustments are required by law, fire regulations and such because its the only reasonable explanation. if you take it out and something happens you would be responsible.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1405 posts
1452 upvotes
ON
Drethis wrote: Anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to remove the walls?

Removing the walls is the easy part. The harder part would be covering the floor beneath the walls. That is if removing the walls is advisable if they are required for codes.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1907 upvotes
Moon
One word is lawyer. It is their responsibility to provide you with the floor plans when you sign the APS, if you APS has the right floor plan and the product you receive does not match then your lawyer can serve them a letter.

Most likely they will offer you something as compensation if you get your lawyer involved.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1518 posts
510 upvotes
Except that:

(7) A standpipe system is not required to be installed in a dwelling unit that,
(a) extends not more than 3 storeys above adjacent ground level,
(b) is completely cut off from the remainder of the building so that there is no access to the remainder of the building, and
(c) has direct access to its interior by means of an exterior doorway located not more than 1 500 mm above or below adjacent finished ground level.

Which all seem to apply to this unit. I don't think I have ever seen an individual dwelling have fire hose cabinets on each level, something is not correct here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)