Real Estate

Builder changed the floor plans without notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2021 9:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1068 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Clacker wrote: Except that:

(7) A standpipe system is not required to be installed in a dwelling unit that,
(a) extends not more than 3 storeys above adjacent ground level,
(b) is completely cut off from the remainder of the building so that there is no access to the remainder of the building, and
(c) has direct access to its interior by means of an exterior doorway located not more than 1 500 mm above or below adjacent finished ground level.

Which all seem to apply to this unit. I don't think I have ever seen an individual dwelling have fire hose cabinets on each level, something is not correct here.
It’s 4 storeys.
CLICK for more info>>> Shoppers Drug Mart - Invite A Friend Event Thanks everyone for participating!
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We could live with the fire hose cabinets, but the wall partitions really ruin the layout of the bottom two floors.
Mar 24, 2009
218 posts
172 upvotes
KW
Drethis wrote: I'm hoping we can get some clarification with this.

We bought a pre-construction house based off the floor plans in the brochure back in early 2020.
A week later after we signed the papers, the Builder showed updated floor plans, claiming that the ones in the brochure were dated, which were a huge departure from the original floor plans. We informed them that we weren't okay with the new floor plans, and we made agreed upon amendments to the floor plans. Seemed like both sides were happy at this point.

Due to COVID, construction was delayed, which came to no one's surprise. About a couple of days ago, we asked for an update from the Builder, at which point the site manager offered to show us the property in person. We were able to see the unit before drywall was put up and immediately noticed more floor plan changes were made without notice. When we asked about the additional partition walls, the site manager said that it was due to fire safety code. They partitioned each floor with more walls, to the point where each floor basically had a room. Almost like room rentals. What's worse, is that three floors had a fire hose cabinet that wasn't in any of the the floor plans. I've never seen a condo townhouse with a fire hose cabinet on almost each floor.

I've attached an image showcasing the new walls they added in pink, as well as the location of the fire hose cabinets.

Anyone know what's going on? Did they register this unit as something other than a SFH? Was the fire safety inspection done incorrectly? Or were they misinformed?

Thank you.
FloorPlan_Optimized.png
When doing firecode. You are separating (sealing) your own unit from the next unit (neighbour).

The only reason they would change your layout is if YOUR unit is being described as a future rental property. Meaning they are separating each floor by fireproofing the hallway. Idk what you told the builder/salesperson….I would start there. That is the ONLY reason a builder would do such a thing.

Edit. One more situation. If along the staircase the unit is not properly sealed with fire rated drywall. Usually at least 1 layer. Check there. The builder might have messed up BIG time. Then I would talk to a lawyer. Depends on the builder design. In this case I would talk to a lawyer.
Mar 10, 2004
842 posts
326 upvotes
Drethis wrote: Anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to remove the walls?

Would something like HomeStars be a good choice to get a quote? Or are there better places to find licensed contractors?
Those could be load bearing walls now. You d need a engineer to look at it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1518 posts
510 upvotes
west wrote: It’s 4 storeys.
Sorry, you're correct, I thought that ground floor one was below grade, but that was my assumption, nothing posted here would indicate it was below grade.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
west wrote: Been asked multiple times so who’s the builder?
They are a small enough builder that if the name was associated to this thread, it might show up in a Google search.

We'd like to come to a conclusion first before we blast them on the internet.

Hope that's okay.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1855 posts
1440 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Drethis wrote: They are a small enough builder that if the name was associated to this thread, it might show up in a Google search.

We'd like to come to a conclusion first before we blast them on the internet.

Hope that's okay.
Or they will realize they f-up and try to make it right before their entire business gets a bad name. Same reasons companies try to make things right when their name get blasted on the news.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1380 posts
724 upvotes
Torontario
Clacker wrote: Sorry, you're correct, I thought that ground floor one was below grade, but that was my assumption, nothing posted here would indicate it was below grade.
Good that you've self-corrected.
As I indicated for anything above 3 floors, it seems stand-pipe (or sprinklers I think) apply. I.e. you are moving into commercial grade code space.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1380 posts
724 upvotes
Torontario
ZxExN wrote: Or they will realize they f-up and try to make it right before their entire business gets a bad name. Same reasons companies try to make things right when their name get blasted on the news.
I have the opposite view actually: I can't understand these squirrel/vertical houses where a low-level raise condo (4-6 floors) can offer the same benefits on a single-level layout (staircases + garages + storage being only common) with taking the same real-estate footprint

May be a it's time for people to look closer of what they are buying before they commit to live in Rapunzel-style towers and rationalize their choices.
At 4 floors you need elevators....and things like furniture moves and I see a lot of shouting-out between floors.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2151 posts
753 upvotes
ohnabatko wrote: I have the opposite view actually: I can't understand these squirrel/vertical houses where a low-level raise condo (4-6 floors) can offer the same benefits on a single-level layout (staircases + garages + storage being only common) with taking the same real-estate footprint

May be a it's time for people to look closer of what they are buying before they commit to live in Rapunzel-style towers and rationalize their choices.
At 4 floors you need elevators....and things like furniture moves and I see a lot of shouting-out between floors.
Mine is 3fl plus basement, agree, it is not convenient as two. Many time, I need to pickup something from basement to up level, I gave up and write on a sticker to do it later. Lol.
And the top level can be very hot in summer, the AC must be turn at 24* so the top level can get ac. All the freezing air in basement is wasted.
The only possible benefit is a lot of sunshine on the top, and good to sleep when you have kids screaming at lower level,so rental suggested.

I posted a thread on "the second largest country run out of land", now we are getting shoebox mini condo and four storey townhouse, both are usually Hong Kong and Japanese style. Ridiculous, this shortage of land and housing crisis is man-made disaster!
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2851 posts
1978 upvotes
ollywood wrote: Something smells wrong to me about this whole ordeal- not from your (buyer) end but most definitely from the builder. Have you tried to reach out and/or view the neighbouring units to see if the same amendments were made? Surely if this was a requirement by fire code the neighbouring units and/or unit type in other areas of the development had the same changes?

Believe it or not, we've had something similar happen with one of our family members whereas their home had 4 ft in total taking off of the width of their home (40ft to 36 ft). They delayed his visits as long as they could and only gave them inconvenient times for structural visits which they couldn't accommodate. By the time they did their first visit the brick was on the exterior of the home and the damage was done. Took the builder to court and got their compensation. They sold immediately upon occupancy but I'll never forget that story. Moral of the story; Talk to your lawyer!
4ft. I'd commit a crime. Probably put a drill in between their eyeballs.

Imagine putting your life savings and they do that.
Feb 10, 2021
368 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Biscayne05 wrote: 4ft. I'd commit a crime. Probably put a drill in between their eyeballs.

Imagine putting your life savings and they do that.
it was shocking.. not even the 4ft difference but the fact that they (the builder) really thought they could get away with it. You have to be a sleezy af builder to try that. Happy to say that they got compensated well for it though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7763 posts
5243 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Dying to know, what is happening with this OP? Did you contact your lawyer?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19412 posts
17891 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
ZxExN wrote: Or they will realize they f-up and try to make it right before their entire business gets a bad name. Same reasons companies try to make things right when their name get blasted on the news.
You would think so...but wouldn't be surprised if the builder just said "EFF" OP and kept it moving.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19412 posts
17891 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
ollywood wrote: it was shocking.. not even the 4ft difference but the fact that they (the builder) really thought they could get away with it. You have to be a sleezy af builder to try that. Happy to say that they got compensated well for it though.
Builders are stiffing buyers on the daily and getting away with it. That's why they do it. Most buyers just take it on the chin.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1104 posts
1256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
5 doors to get from the master to the laundry room.. if it's heavy you need to put down the bag each time LOL. might as well have a laundry chute at this point.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote: Dying to know, what is happening with this OP? Did you contact your lawyer?
Yeah, we contacted our lawyer, and they suggested we try working with the Builder to have this rectified soon. If they are unresponsive or unwilling to commit, the option to back out will always be there.

We'd like to keep the property if we can resolve this matter, so we contacted the Builder, and they said they'd try to see if they can reassess the property with fire inspection.

We'll post again once we have more information.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1104 posts
1256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Would it be terrible to live without the doors? Obviously the kitchen and living room is weird AF but maybe less terrible without doors?
Maybe open windows into the living room? Ugh this sounds awful

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)