Real Estate

Builder changed the floor plans without notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2021 9:28 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
3817 posts
3001 upvotes
I wonder if they can instead do a fire sprinkler system like all new homes does in Vancouver.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
William W wrote: I wonder if they can instead do a fire sprinkler system like all new homes does in Vancouver.
That's the strange part, when the site manager showed us the property, there were sprinkler systems on each floor. That in addition to the fire hose cabinets is overkill, IMHO.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately, our real estate lawyer doesn't deal with litigation. Anyone have recommendations for lawyers who specialize in preconstruction?

Recommendations for building inspectors would be helpful too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7763 posts
5245 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Drethis wrote: Unfortunately, our real estate lawyer doesn't deal with litigation. Anyone have recommendations for lawyers who specialize in preconstruction?

Recommendations for building inspectors would be helpful too.
I take it there has been no satisfactory resolution. I'm sorry about that. No way would I accept the unit as they've built it. What a nightmare for you.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19416 posts
17901 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Does the builder have another phase or are building elsewhere? Are all units like this in the project? If the builder seems like they are not willing to address the issue I’d be either telling them they you have no choice but to warn the public so they aren’t tricked by the builder. If no resolution, I’d post pics all over social media and try to get through to the media.

Builders get threatened all the time and often call people’s bluff until they get hit in the mouth and are forced to address the issue and avoid a PR nightmare.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1514 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
I have never seen a standpipe in a SFH before, but based on the code limitation of the 3 floors, it does seem to be required.

All the extra walls are because they likely have to turn your stair into a rated exit stair.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JayLove06 wrote: Does the builder have another phase or are building elsewhere? Are all units like this in the project? If the builder seems like they are not willing to address the issue I’d be either telling them they you have no choice but to warn the public so they aren’t tricked by the builder. If no resolution, I’d post pics all over social media and try to get through to the media.

Builders get threatened all the time and often call people’s bluff until they get hit in the mouth and are forced to address the issue and avoid a PR nightmare.
They've mentioned that they're working on other projects in Burlington, Whitby etc. but they do not have the same layouts or floor plans.
BBQPEANUT wrote: Any updates, OP?
We're in talks with the builder about alternative solutions. We've suggested a few resolutions, and they're in the process of walking it through with Trades and the City. Could just be dicking us around, but we'll see in a few days.

Our lawyer suggested exhausting more options with the Builder before pursuing litigation, so we're following as directed.
DaMan12 wrote: I have never seen a standpipe in a SFH before, but based on the code limitation of the 3 floors, it does seem to be required.

All the extra walls are because they likely have to turn your stair into a rated exit stair.
I believe you're correct. We've talked to some building code consultants, and they've all been in agreement that the measures they took are excessive though. For example, one of the points of contention was that if you had fire sprinklers on each floor, you would not require a standpipe system as well. However, the standpipe would still need to remain in place if the other 2 units attached to ours still had them.

Fire Hose Cabinets, Fire Sprinklers, and Wall Enclosures surrounding the stairwell when the unit has multiple points of egress seems like overkill.
Last edited by Drethis on Jun 18th, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 10, 2021
368 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Really unfortunate there hasn't been a resolution for you yet, OP. Hoping this all gets resolved swiftly and easily for you hear-on-out! Im rooting for ya.
Apr 7, 2008
16 posts
3 upvotes
I don’t know if this has been mentioned OP, do yourself a favour and research Part 9 building code, specifically fire separation and protection.

I’m 99% sure your TH falls under those guidelines which requires part 9 building code.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2010
250 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thisischunks wrote: I don’t know if this has been mentioned OP, do yourself a favour and research Part 9 building code, specifically fire separation and protection.

I’m 99% sure your TH falls under those guidelines which requires part 9 building code.
From what we've been told, this townhouse got bumped to section 3 because it exceeded the 3 storey limit. Is that incorrect information?
Apr 7, 2008
16 posts
3 upvotes
I’m not a code consultant or architect by any means. But from experience, anytime a home whether row town or midrise exceeds a certain height from grade, it will trigger part 9 which means strict egress code and fire safety (sprinklers,etc)

Perhaps the builder launched and sold the development without confirming if the plans followed proper building codes.

I can assure you the plans are subject to change, but if a judge determines these changes are a “material change” you can get your deposit and walk from the deal.

I urge you speak with your real estate lawyer. Sounds like you spoke or hired a code consultant. Get them to verify if your floor plan. Good luck