• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2017 3:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 6, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote

Builder forgot to build side entrance stairs - need help

Hi
I bought a new home which is under construction. At the time of purchase I signed for an upgrade stairs to the basement. I received a call yesterday from the builders that they forgot to build it and it's not possible now. They want to give me my money back. I want compensation. Can anyone help me what are my options now. Thanks
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5602 posts
3365 upvotes
You need to consult a lawyer and check the contract you signed.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
321 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
They're offering you the money back without a fight and you want more?

Sue sue sue sue.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5602 posts
3365 upvotes
Aethean wrote: They're offering you the money back without a fight and you want more?

Sue sue sue sue.
What if he has sold his old house and has nowhere to live? What if it now costs him more to buy something else comparible vs when he bought (likely in GTA market)? Sue - maybe, but certainly consult a lawyer.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
...some of you you guys have reading comprehension issues.

They forgot the stairs upgrade, not the whole house! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 10, 2008
634 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
fdl wrote:
What if he has sold his old house and has nowhere to live? What if it now costs him more to buy something else comparible vs when he bought (likely in GTA market)? Sue - maybe, but certainly consult a lawyer.
It's a poorly worded subject line, but based on his post, it sounds like they just forgot to upgrade the basement staircase...not forget to build the entire house.
Sep 1, 2014
479 posts
160 upvotes
Calgary
If you and the builder signed off on the change request form they have to build it so you can either force them to build it which would probably mean tearing out some walls etc. or you can try to get them to upgrade other things for free or equal value. The builder isnt out the money to do this but the contractor who does this will be eating it if you make him put in the stairs.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1056 posts
396 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Talk to your real estate lawyer and stop double posting the same thread.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5602 posts
3365 upvotes
mrwally wrote:
fdl wrote:
It's a poorly worded subject line, but based on his post, it sounds like they just forgot to upgrade the basement staircase...not forget to build the entire house.
Ya I got that part and understood they offered to refund the entire house purchase for the mistake. Post is unclear but my recommendation stands, consult with a RE lawyer if it's a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8731 posts
9558 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Aethean wrote: They're offering you the money back without a fight and you want more?

Sue sue sue sue.
If the upgrade was going from builders grade junk carpeted stairs to hardwood stairs the upgrade costs are likely much less than a homeowner having to tear them out and new hardwood stairs brought in. The compensation is likely the difference between the refund and the actual cost of tear out and replace then it's not unreasonable.

Then again the OPs title post make you think the builder forgot to build the house entirely. So not much clarity.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5602 posts
3365 upvotes
The upgrade could have also been a second set a of stairs to the basement. Possibly from the outside.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6148 posts
2904 upvotes
Kingston, ON
fdl wrote: The upgrade could have also been a second set a of stairs to the basement. Possibly from the outside.
That's what I was guessing. Like a "basement suite" entrance.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Sorry guys for the confusing title, this is my first post and I am really upset right now. I have a side entrance and the stairs provide separate entrance to the basement. I was thinking about basement appartment in future as this is the only way I can afford this house. Now they cannot do it because of the concerate wall of the garage and basement. I am in GTA and the house was quite expensive, it's not just about stairs, it's my plan to afford this house and managing my finances.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
636 upvotes
London
NewHome17 wrote: Sorry guys for the confusing title, this is my first post and I am really upset right now. I have a side entrance and the stairs provide separate entrance to the basement. I was thinking about basement appartment in future as this is the only way I can afford this house. Now they cannot do it because of the concerate wall of the garage and basement. I am in GTA and the house was quite expensive, it's not just about stairs, it's my plan to afford this house and managing my finances.
Suggest you edit your first post and add this information. Sorry to hear this happened OP, you should consult a RE lawyer.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3986 upvotes
Toronto
NewHome17 wrote: Sorry guys for the confusing title, this is my first post and I am really upset right now. I have a side entrance and the stairs provide separate entrance to the basement. I was thinking about basement appartment in future as this is the only way I can afford this house. Now they cannot do it because of the concerate wall of the garage and basement. I am in GTA and the house was quite expensive, it's not just about stairs, it's my plan to afford this house and managing my finances.
wow that sucks. lawyer up. we can't help you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)