Real Estate

Builder made a mistake on upgrade

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 10:58 pm
Member
Jan 14, 2008
404 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Happened to me too, and the builder just refunded that upgraded amount to us.

The good thing is that they also mixed up the paper work with other upgrades and gave us some free major upgrades for free ;)
I'm piggy backing on this thread..

Happened to me as well this week..
The builder, a large well known mass-production one, forgot to put an upgrade throughout the house. The home is not fully finished yet and closing is several weeks away..

They asked to meet me today to sort things out.
Any suggestions how I should approach this?

I will update this thread after meeting them.
Last edited by gc99 on Sep 21st, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27537 posts
12578 upvotes
Toronto
well, if it is still many weeks away from completion then put pressure on builder to put them in, alternatively, you can go with the standard finish and then have them compensate you with something else at n/c ... things that they have not even started and/or ompleted and can be upgraded without delay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5412 posts
952 upvotes
gc99 wrote: I'm piggy backing on this thread..

Happened to me as well this week..
The builder, a large well known mass-production one, forgot to put an upgrade throughout the house. The home is not fully finished yet and closing is several weeks away..

They asked to meet me today to sort things out.
Any suggestions how I should approach this?

I will update this thread after meeting them.
What kind of finish did they forget? If they laid carpet and you upgraded to hardwood or something that's kind of a big deal.
Member
Jan 14, 2008
404 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Ziggy007 wrote: What kind of finish did they forget? If they laid carpet and you upgraded to hardwood or something that's kind of a big deal.
It was round corner bead edging.
I met the builder and he said they are now communicating with the subcontractor to correct the issue .
Newbie
Sep 19, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Building a house now and having the same problem. They totally missed adding a window that is included in the plan. I didn't pay an upgrade for this, it's part of the base price. I realize I can negotiate some credits to make up for this, but from my experience having dealt with them so far, they will make it up by jacking up the prices elsewhere on some other upgrade they know I want. And it's a small builder, so they make up prices as they go.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8578 posts
1269 upvotes
My precon is closing end of November. I noticed the builder gave me an extra window on the main floor. It’s not in the floor plan. Now I’ll have to get extra shutters for that extra window. What are the options in this situation?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
8631 posts
9388 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
bobbings wrote: My precon is closing end of November. I noticed the builder gave me an extra window on the main floor. It’s not in the floor plan. Now I’ll have to get extra shutters for that extra window. What are the options in this situation?
Suck it up? You got an extra window for free.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8578 posts
1269 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Suck it up? You got an extra window for free.
Thank you.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8702 posts
598 upvotes
I've heard a builder upgraded the hardwood floor on the entire second floor for free.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3561 posts
2823 upvotes
rfd3333 wrote: Bought a pre-construction home, and upgraded the pickets on the staircase to metal ones. Now that the house is almost complete, I see that they have installed the (cheaper) wooden ones. I called them, and they said pretty much said too bad, the upgrade was made too late (it was an amendment a few weeks after the original decor appointment) and we are not going to install the metal pickets. They have told me to come in and take the refund for the amount paid for the pickets.
Is this something I can mark down on the PDI inspection and have the builder replace later? The contract clearly states that its metal pickets.. the builder simply screwed up and ordered the wrong ones. It will cost me much more $$ in labour to upgrade these later.
nope...you get your money back and that's it.

its not a tarion/warranty matter as they can substitute or not give upgrade. they just have to give you back the money. you can try to persuade them to do it for you but unlikely
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1068 posts
156 upvotes
rdx wrote: Happened to me too, and the builder just refunded that upgraded amount to us.

The good thing is that they also mixed up the paper work with other upgrades and gave us some free major upgrades for free ;)
HAHAHA that's amazing
feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
ebay feedback : demon_twinz
heatware ID: demon_twinz99
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8578 posts
1269 upvotes
rdx wrote: I've heard a builder upgraded the hardwood floor on the entire second floor for free.
I wished they upgraded my townhouse to a 5000 sq ft 3 car garage by accident Face With Tears Of Joy
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

Top