Builder's agent won't provide house plans before act of sale date

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2017 9:35 am
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
279 posts
36 upvotes

Builder's agent won't provide house plans before act of sale date

So I bought a house without representation using the builder's agent.

I made an offer which was accepted and am waiting for the financing approbation - all other conditions are met.

The mortgage broker asked for house plans which are apparently needed by the lender.

I e-mailed the builder's agent asking he send the plans to the broker and that he send them to me as well (thought I might as well have them).

He said he couldn't send them to me yet since they still belong to the builder but that he would give me a copy after the title changes hand if I want them...

Is this usual for the seller to be somewhat reluctant to provide the house's plans before the titles changes hands?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2312 posts
592 upvotes
Did you pay for the plans? Is this a custom home? I don't think a builder will just hand over the plans...even after closing. You will likely need an appraisal done to satisfy the lender.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
279 posts
36 upvotes
Thanks for the reply! I don't really care about the plans but wanted to know if it was normal for them not to be willing to give the plans so that's all good.
Jun 21, 2006
818 posts
424 upvotes
yes they usually give you the plans after at closing you usually pick them up from the lawyers