• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 9:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2018
54 posts
16 upvotes

Builders kitchen vs outside contractor custom kitchen

Just wanted your suggestion.
Would you prefer to get kitchen done by builder or take standard finishes and do with outside contractor
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17369 posts
14774 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
contractor > builder. The only way the builder wins out here is convenience. Other than that contractor blows builder out of the water. You can be much more hands on with a contractor than with a builder. Builder also moves quickly as they finish up the other houses.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2018
54 posts
16 upvotes
My husband thinks we should just take standard kitchen from builder and redo with contractor.Builder is very vague As to how the kitchen will look.Also every change you make adds up
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17369 posts
14774 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
sunflowerseeds wrote: My husband thinks we should just take standard kitchen from builder and redo with contractor.Builder is very vague As to how the kitchen will look.Also every change you make adds up
Agreed. Builders charge through the nose and you are picking what they have available. Any change they make costs you.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2293 posts
1051 upvotes
Alberta
It all depends. Because they already give you the base tile and cabinets, so you just need to upgrade from there. If you go with a contractor, you need to buy everything from scratch. So you have to price out both scenarios.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1569 posts
2355 upvotes
Stouffville ON
You will have already the base from the builder, maybe consider changing just the doors, if you like the layout, it will be significant cheaper then redoing the whole kitchen.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Dec 13, 2017
26 posts
57 upvotes
I'd say stay base with builder and upgrade in future. Builders generally make their money on upgrades so you can more often than not get more bang for your buck or stretch your dollar with a contractor. We own a real estate brokerage and a home improvement company and many clients come in with this predicament!