Home & Garden

builders paint is peeling off the wall easily-does that mean they did not use primer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2016 9:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge

builders paint is peeling off the wall easily-does that mean they did not use primer?

This past weekend we had someone look at the house to give an estimate on painting it, we noticed the paint (sponge paint) that was there peels off easily and what shows underneath is plaster and the origional dry wall, it looks like no primer was put on, is this possible and is this acceptable or wrong? I don't want the new coat of paint we are paying for to easily peel off if the undercoat was not done correctly
Thanks
20 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Interesting. It's possible. Not sure what you should do if in fact there was no primer.

Is this a bathroom or kitchen? Photos?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9876 posts
9564 upvotes
Markham
Builder uses the fastest cheapest way to paint your house. In fact, you should repaint anyway once your 2 year warranty runes out.

They do not use primer, and they use flat paint (to hide stuff). Get it repainted.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1554 posts
1202 upvotes
Toronto
The builder used cheap paint.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
...what builder uses sponge painting?
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
The prev owner was friends with the builder so he made arrangements to do some of the finishing work himselve, the sponge paint on the wall def has no primer as it peeled off so easy like it did not stick to the plastered part only the drywall paper part.
Thanks
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6804 upvotes
Brampton
Some paints are "1-Step paints" Another issue could be the walls were not correctly prep'ed (cleaned) or you have moisture coming through. I've seen that some exterior facing walls were not correctly sealed (missing insulation and ripped VB) and it allowed moisture through to damage the paint/drywall.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
My house had this: original paint was painted to the plaster walls, and either they were dusty when it was painted, or the top layer of the plaster BECAME dusty. In any case, 100% of the walls in my house, if you put a chip into the paint, will keep chipping, and under the chips there is plaster dust. I found this when I was cutting holes in the plaster, the paint would chip @ the edges.

The only "solution" I found was to chip it all off. I did this in my corridor, and it SUCKED; took forever, and I definitely didn't fix some giant problem. So, now, I am just painting over the crap paint. If I try to put a large-ish one of those stick-on hooks, I bet I could rip off the paint, but I don't use those anyways. Other than that, I don't know how you'd reasonably chip off the paint; you need to start the chip somehow.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Cool yeah same problem were facing
Thanks
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
They don't need to use primer... it's one step paint

2in1 basically..for the flat white new builds come with..no primer is needed
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
GrandePike wrote: They don't need to use primer... it's one step paint

2in1 basically..for the flat white new builds come with..no primer is needed
Yeah, I noticed that for a lot of the paints, you can't even get the non-2in1's... I assume that 2in1 is with the regular primer... or does it work for new-drywall as well?

edit: just checked - it's for both.

bjl
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
well the 2-in one paint should not peel, no? if so its probably the wrong paint they used
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6424 posts
1083 upvotes
I don't have a lot of confidence in the paints with built in primer. All these years you've had to use a separate primer because they couldn't build the capability in to the finish paint and now all of a sudden they can? Is that a scientific breakthrough or just the marketing guys hyping a product because it sticks slightly better than it used to. When I have to paint something in my house and I'm worried about adhesion I always start with a primer and then do finish coats. I never have to worry about doing it over.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11861 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: well the 2-in one paint should not peel, no? if so its probably the wrong paint they used
I don't think it's 'wrong' paint if it's 2-in 1 and meant for drywall. Now again, the product is likely low-end crap, which requires a perfect surface to bond to. As mentioned, it was a rushed job that wasn't prepped correctly. Getting dry wall cleaned/dust free is a fair amount of work, especially in a construction site. I mean my garage, where I do my cutting for wood, trim, has dust everywhere. I can only imagine what a construction site is like. Also, sanding drywall compound, the dust is superfine. Requires more care to get rid of that on the walls as even cleaning the compound too roughly, can release more dust.

Actually just saw that the homeowner did it himself. That's even worse. Probably saved thousands. Did a hack job himself, and profited the savings. Imagine this.. a car from the factory. Instead of having the factor professionally paint it with their industrial equipment, a buy is able to buy it before it's painted (saves $1500). Then paints it in his garage with his 5 gallon compressor (total spent $250). A garage where he also does other work. Then sells that car at the same mark-up as the dealer would.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
woof wrote: I don't have a lot of confidence in the paints with built in primer. All these years you've had to use a separate primer because they couldn't build the capability in to the finish paint and now all of a sudden they can? Is that a scientific breakthrough or just the marketing guys hyping a product because it sticks slightly better than it used to. When I have to paint something in my house and I'm worried about adhesion I always start with a primer and then do finish coats. I never have to worry about doing it over.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even with the 2in1's, I'm still priming new drywall before painting. Seems like a waste since that 2in1 is more expensive. Might even have less coverage.

bjl
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
no kidding, I just wanna know I peeled some of the old sponge paint off yesterday and the painter today came in and told me not to do that, what if It peels more and his paint job comes off?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Stronzo1 wrote: no kidding, I just wanna know I peeled some of the old sponge paint off yesterday and the painter today came in and told me not to do that, what if It peels more and his paint job comes off?
Base must be stable. Your painter just wants to paint over it? Or he is going to scrape and sand it himself? Either way, make him guarantee his work.

bjl
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
He said for me to not to scrape it off as its more work for him, but i pretty much lifted a corner an a big ass chunk came off in one peel, i dont feel comfortable painting over it
Thanks
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Yeah he wants to paint over it
Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
builders typically spray a quick coat of paint over the walls. I found this out the other day when I was peeling off painters tape and the paint was being peeled off too.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher