Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes

Building a dirt cheap gaming rig

My goal:
1080p/720p @ 30Hz
Medium/Low

My friend has a bunch of server parts. I want to use as many of his parts as I can.

Parts at my disposal:
GPU: RX 570
RAM: Enough DDR3 ECC Memory to max out most boards
Case: I'll build something out of aluminum extrusions
PSU: 1U Seasonic 400W
SSD: 240GB mSATA to USB3 drive

The motherboard and CPU is what's left.
Any recommendations on a motherboard CPU combo that supports ECC memory? Ideally something with a street price around 100$

What chipsets/processors should I look for?

To my knowledge, only older Pentium and Xeon CPUs support ECC memory. I don't think there are any decent AMD CPUs that support DDR3.

Motherboard nice to haves:
  • mSATA slot, so I don't need to use the USB enclosure
  • mPCie slot, so I can use a laptop WiFi card
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29043 posts
14590 upvotes
$100 (CAD I assume) probably means E3 v2 in LGA1155.
Boards are well under $100 and CPUs are like $25.

If you can stretch that a bit, you could go with LGA2011.
Boards are closer to $100 (USD) with CPUs around $50.

(Depends on the board obviously. I only really looked at Supermicro but you might be able to get a "gaming" company board for cheaper like ASUS)
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4917 posts
1948 upvotes
Can get a msata to 2.5" sata enclosure. Msata slots are hard to find on motherboards.. even when you look for used ones. To find one with msata AND takes ECC ram will be tough, between the two, being able to use ECC memory will save you more money. I've used a Msata to 2.5" sata enclosure before as a boot drive, works fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
coilz wrote: Can get a msata to 2.5" sata enclosure. Msata slots are hard to find on motherboards.. even when you look for used ones. To find one with msata AND takes ECC ram will be tough, between the two, being able to use ECC memory will save you more money. I've used a Msata to 2.5" sata enclosure before as a boot drive, works fine.
So it turns out the ECC ram is actually unbuffered ECC, so it can work in normal motherboards with ECC disabled.

With the popularity of m. 2, I wanted to avoid buying msata accessories

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)