Home & Garden

Building patio for parents, what to use for base ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2020 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2119 posts
496 upvotes
Milton, Ontario

Building patio for parents, what to use for base ?

Have some down time right now and wanted to build a patio for my parents out of 20x20 slabs.
However not really sure what to use as a base so it stays fairly level after winter, HPB then sand, HPB only, sand only, something else ?
Are there any actuall good materials to lay as a base so no weeds grow through ?

Was thinking of using these https://www.rona.ca/en/foresta-patio-st ... y-53985054
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8053 posts
2727 upvotes
Maple
Dig and remove existing grass/soil then put layer of crush stone, make sure to tamper down real good before put on slabs. Make sure slight angle out not to house for rain water to divert out.
Last edited by teoconca on Apr 11th, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2344 posts
1322 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Dig out the area, lay down landscape fabric as a weed barrier. I used HPB when I built mine. Wet the area a bit before tamping the HPB. Remember to take the thickness of the stone slabs into consideration when figuring how deep to dig. I'd have a at least 4" of material under the patio stones
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15861 posts
13076 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
teoconca wrote: Dig and remove existing grass/soil then put layer of crush stone, make sure to tamper down real good before put on slabs. Make sure slight angle out not to house for rain water to divert out.
This, and ...
schade wrote: Dig out the area, lay down landscape fabric as a weed barrier. I used HPB when I built mine. Wet the area a bit before tamping the HPB. Remember to take the thickness of the stone slabs into consideration when figuring how deep to dig. I'd have a at least 4" of material under the patio stones
This

The landscape fabric is a must.
As is the sloping / drainage considerations

You are aiming for runoff towards the grass, with no puddling / standing water
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3460 posts
1034 upvotes
Edmonton
Did this two years ago. 15' by 30' or so patio.
Dig out 8-10" (depending on thickness of stone). or do everywhere, landscape barrier for weeds, make sure it overlaps. 6" of 3/4 road crush in two passes (3" or so, tamp down, 3" and tamp down). I only had a small gasoline powered tamper. Then put a layer of stone dust. Can't remember but I think I put 3/4" but not sure. I used pvc pipes of a certain OD and filled to top and then broomed over. All level took the PVC out to fill by hand.
Then ontop put stone. I think mine are around 3-4" thick. Grading is 1/4" per foot I believe. High in middle and out towards all 3 sides.

Then put some plywood over the stone and ran tamper. Made sure everything was nice, settled and tight. Ran some special edging around and cemented it in aswell. Used a grinder with a diamond disk to make a nice shape of the patio. And finished it off with techniseal pplymetric sand. Used the commercial stuff as this is a high traffic area. It's been amazing and hasn't moved in two years so far.

Due to the compacting and weight, I had to beef up my window well by welding some supports and adding pipe/tubing
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jun 12, 2007
997 posts
233 upvotes
GTA
I recommend reading those 2 write-ups from RFD members:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/diy-pati ... -888370/2/
[...]

Also make sure all the businesses you would need are open during the emergency period. I.e. you would need a bin rental for your excavated dirt. Are they open? You would need HBP or gravel/sand delivery, are those open?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 13th, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened link not allowed