• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 11:20 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
234 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga - ON

Building permits in Mississauga

I bought my house 2 years ago and it had a finished (but cheap) basement.

This fall we had a crack in our basement foundation which caused some water to enter and damage the drywall & framing. I ripped out the affected parts (nothing load bearing) to prevent any mold build up and allow access for the pros to fix the crack.

So now I want to refinish the basement and also break up the space a little better (creating an office space) and replace the low grade work done before I moved in (no insulation between drywall & exterior walls for example)
Nothing structural, only side frames and non-loadbearing partition walls, and new doors etc.

I understand I need a permit for this in Mississauga. I know a lot of people suggest not bothering with permits (we wont be renting out the space or planning on selling for another 10-15 years) but with a young family I dont want to take chances with insurances or code violations.

I wanted to do the work myself, but the permit application looks more daunting than the actual work required.
does anyone have any experience of submitting plans yourself?

Do I really need to provide professional/architectural diagrams of the site (inc driveways, garden areas etc) and details floor plans of the entire house just for a couple of bits of new drywall going up in a basement?
That seems a little over the top doesnt it?
1 reply
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
234 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
update.
so I according to an email, the required docs I need to provide are:

Basement Finishing:

Basement floor plan
Ground floor plan
HVAC Drawings

Single dwelling unity information letter
Schedule 1 : designer information

However, a seperate section lists additions to the interior (adding partition walls etc) and that requires much more stuff:
site plan
Architectural floor plans
cross sections
hvac drawings

Single dwelling unity information letter
Schedule 1 : designer information

So i dont know if what I am doing counts as basement finishing or interior alterations. also - what do I do about the designer information when I plan to do it all myself (that form requires company numbers for the designer)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)