• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 9:14 am
[OP]
Jun 30, 2008
132 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Building a two story room after replacing deck

Hi, I have a deck (30' Length x 15' Width) and I want to build two story room on the place of deck. Then I will have one extra room in ground floor and one bedroom will be on upper level. How much it will cost approx.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
80-100k. If the city approves it
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3013 posts
1295 upvotes
schade wrote: 80-100k. If the city approves it
Still possible, but knowing the cost of building materials has risen sharply over the last year, the project as described could range anywhere from your estimate of 80k to 100k, as far up as 150k to 200k.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
Guys, it will be cheaper than that.
the OP says he will build it, so essentially only paying for materials as he will do the whole labour.
Won't be cheap but won't be that expensive either. I would say in the 30K range
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4724 posts
4224 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Guys, it will be cheaper than that.
the OP says he will build it, so essentially only paying for materials as he will do the whole labour.
Won't be cheap but won't be that expensive either. I would say in the 30K range
The OP is incapable of doing this themselves. I’m asserting that based on the fact they have posted a question on RFD asking what a 2 storey addition to a house would cost.

Maybe material alone would run $30k. But good luck digging the foundation with a shovel and mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow and hammering a few thousand nails without proper equipment and a crew, let alone the engineering, permits, likely variance fees etc.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
torontotim wrote: The OP is incapable of doing this themselves. I’m asserting that based on the fact they have posted a question on RFD asking what a 2 storey addition to a house would cost.

Maybe material alone would run $30k. But good luck digging the foundation with a shovel and mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow and hammering a few thousand nails without proper equipment and a crew, let alone the engineering, permits, likely variance fees etc.
I guess your right, but I mean when people say they want to build something, I assume they want to build something and not pay someone to build something for them, else OP should say "I want to have a 2nd story addition built".

I guess it depends on who you know, can rent out a small excavator fairly cheaply to dig it out, lay forms for the foundation and get it poured in, not bothering mixing concrete in wheel barrow. I find the foundation is always the hardest part, everything else after that from framing to roofing isnt too bad. Also depends if his basement is already finished or not, might make for more work with plumbing and electrical
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18561 posts
13357 upvotes
Markham
torontotim wrote: The OP is incapable of doing this themselves. I’m asserting that based on the fact they have posted a question on RFD asking what a 2 storey addition to a house would cost.

Lol. OP is incapable of doing this themselves. +1
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Why couldn't OP do it? Two neighbours on my block have put up illegal, 2 storey, wooden structural additions on their homes in the last couple years. Sure, it might come crashing down one day and hopefully take out said neighbours with them. Both were "homemade", 1 looks so-so, the other is framed with scraps and sheathed with dissembled kiddie playground gingerbread huts. The eaves dangle upside down from the roof on wire, yes - wire. Dude is a complete nut-bar.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Based on the scope described I know a guy who can do it for $5000 and i know a guy who can do it for $300,000.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4724 posts
4224 upvotes
Toronto
Let's make this simple.

30 x 15 footprint = 450 sq ft x 2 floors = 900 sq ft.

$200 / sq ft is I think a fair suggestion on how much it might cost to frame and finish a structure. Perhaps a bit less, but $200 these days is probably fair.

So call it $180,000.

OP - what's your budget? Have $200,000 ready to spend on the addition?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13157 posts
4268 upvotes
GTA
hoponpop wrote: Why couldn't OP do it? Two neighbours on my block have put up illegal, 2 storey, wooden structural additions on their homes in the last couple years. Sure, it might come crashing down one day and hopefully take out said neighbours with them. Both were "homemade", 1 looks so-so, the other is framed with scraps and sheathed with dissembled kiddie playground gingerbread huts. The eaves dangle upside down from the roof on wire, yes - wire. Dude is a complete nut-bar.
Sounds lovely. Pics?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12147 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
kenny_gua wrote: Hi, I have a deck (30' Length x 15' Width) and I want to build two story room on the place of deck. Then I will have one extra room in ground floor and one bedroom will be on upper level. How much it will cost approx.
I am confused... are you asking to build this ON THE DECK?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4724 posts
4224 upvotes
Toronto
For the OP - instead of asking such a vague, open ended question, ask something like:

"I have a 30 x 15 foot deck off the back of my house. I'd like to put a 2 storey addition where the deck is. What do I need to consider, and what steps should I take to get an idea of what this might cost?"

Then you'll get genuinely helpful suggestions about confirming the setback and lot coverage details in your local building code/bylaws/permit processes. Perhaps some discussion would ensue about the current building structure/construction style (siding on a wood frame? solid 100 year old brick? current foundation type?)

Then you might get referrals to local general contractors who can actually give you an estimate on the job.

But bottom line, a structure like this is complex, expensive and risky. Slapping an addition on the back of an established building can be very problematic. Foundations shift and your addition is all of a sudden not so attached any more. Tying in exterior finishing like brick can be challenging / impossible.

Incorporating HVAC can be a real challenge - you're not adding a 300 sq ft room - you're talking 1000 sq ft over 2 storeys. Your existing electrical and HVAC were not designed for this extra square footage and could all end up needing to be replaced.

The question isn't so much about how much it will cost - the question is what do you need to consider before going down this road. The quickest way is to get a reputable contractor out who has built additions on similar homes in your area and who knows the local building codes/inspectors etc.