• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 3:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7463 posts
4047 upvotes
Montreal

Building a wall in basement - price check

I am building a 9'1" wall, with 2 french doors.
Total quoted was $2,851 before taxes.
He charges $400 for the paint (included in the total) which we will decline and do it ourselves.

I have no idea how much a wall should cost, does this sound reasonable?
A 50% upfront payment is also being asked.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Get 2 more quotes, see how they compare?

What does this include? All framing, all drywalling, the cost of 2 doors, and casing/baseboard/etc?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5110 posts
1544 upvotes
Kitchener
I'd estimate $750 for materials and 36 hours of labour
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5361 posts
4957 upvotes
Toronto
The doors could cost that much on their own, or they could be $100 doors bought used on Kijiji. Impossible to comment on this, other than do the math yourself. Walls are made of 2x4's and drywall. A 9 foot long wall probably need about ten 2x4's at $4 each, five sheets of drywall at $15 each (or whatever they cost these days) and some nails/screws/tape and mud.

So about $200 in material + the doors. Then what, about 1-2 days labor at $400 a day let's say. $1000 + the doors or so?

That's my 30 second take on it. What's yours?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12692 posts
7858 upvotes
Paris
torontotim wrote: The doors could cost that much on their own, or they could be $100 doors bought used on Kijiji. Impossible to comment on this, other than do the math yourself. Walls are made of 2x4's and drywall. A 9 foot long wall probably need about ten 2x4's at $4 each, five sheets of drywall at $15 each (or whatever they cost these days) and some nails/screws/tape and mud.

So about $200 in material + the doors. Then what, about 1-2 days labor at $400 a day let's say. $1000 + the doors or so?

That's my 30 second take on it. What's yours?
Its Covid so you need to double the materials cost. Baseboard and casing is another $200 if you are trimming out both sides. Are you adding electrical? You should be per code.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7463 posts
4047 upvotes
Montreal
I attached the quote he gave me (sorry it's in french)
He charges $954 for demoltion, dumping, and cleaning up. Seems excessive?
He also extimated it would take a week to complete everything. That's a bit more than than the 2 days estimated here.
Images
  • Soumission-mur-porteur-4.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5361 posts
4957 upvotes
Toronto
What are they demolishing and removing? You said build a wall - nothing about removing anything.

Quote looks perfectly reasonable and well detailed to me. I tend to trust people who don't try to hide anything, and this guy clearly is very transparent.

Skip the painting at $423 and I think you're in good shape. Is the trim MDF or wood?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7463 posts
4047 upvotes
Montreal
torontotim wrote: What are they demolishing and removing? You said build a wall - nothing about removing anything.

Quote looks perfectly reasonable and well detailed to me. I tend to trust people who don't try to hide anything, and this guy clearly is very transparent.

Skip the painting at $423 and I think you're in good shape. Is the trim MDF or wood?
There's nothing to demolish. I guess they would skip that part. that line would translate to:
Demolition, protection and preparation of the premises on time

Trim is MDF.
And yup, skipping paint for sure.
Apr 10, 2019
573 posts
1192 upvotes
Ottawa
Madevilz wrote: I attached the quote he gave me (sorry it's in french)
He also extimated it would take a week to complete everything. That's a bit more than than the 2 days estimated here.
Kind of hard to mud/tape, sand, mud, sand, prime in 2 days. (Unless you're running a dozen commercial dehumidifiers non stop I guess)

you also forgot to mention these french doors have glass inserts (as per quote)...that changes things alot.

I don't know why everyone thinks they're a painter...according to the quote this guy will spackle and spray the trim before cutting and rolling walls so unless you've used a sprayer before for trim and can rent one the end product will look very amateurish and half-assed. Also keep in mind that interior doors with glass inserts need to be sprayed before the protective film is removed and can't be properly painted with a brush.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10008 upvotes
Edmonton
Madevilz wrote: I attached the quote he gave me (sorry it's in french)
You didn’t answer the question about what’s happening with the electrical side of things. You need plugs every so often, and I’m guessing if you had nothing there before, you’ll want some form of lighting.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)