Built in ceiling speakers

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 5:41 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
905 posts
415 upvotes

Built in ceiling speakers

We have the option of adding built in ceiling speakers through the builder in our new home (Main floor hallway, living room and separately in family room for TV surround sound). They will put speaker rough ins and route the speaker wires to the basement (for the family room, the wires will be routed to the front of the room). I’m weighing this against the alternative of wireless speakers (Sonos, others?).

With audio tech where it’s at, does it make sense to have hard wired speakers or should I go wireless? We are not looking for a crazy setup but having light music through the house when we have company over or surround when watching a movie would be nice.
10 replies
Dec 5, 2016
262 posts
46 upvotes
I'd suggest going the wireless route. With all the Google products nowadays, it is easy to set up a mini or hub on different areas of the house.
I personally have a few minis and a hub and just broadcast music to a speaker group from Spotify.

For surround i would get a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer/speakers for that TV only.
Jun 12, 2009
936 posts
353 upvotes
I have speaker rough-in for my living room and en-suite, cables leading to the basement. Never used them as that setup requires a music server of some kind, built in-wall controls etc.

I'd rather have a 7.1 wiring done in the family room - which I do have - all wires leading to the receiver, sitting in the same room.

Much more important is the Ethernet cabling: I'd go with rough-ins to all rooms, min cat 6 cabling, for future-proof network.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
905 posts
415 upvotes
FastFret wrote: I have speaker rough-in for my living room and en-suite, cables leading to the basement. Never used them as that setup requires a music server of some kind, built in-wall controls etc.

I'd rather have a 7.1 wiring done in the family room - which I do have - all wires leading to the receiver, sitting in the same room.

Much more important is the Ethernet cabling: I'd go with rough-ins to all rooms, min cat 6 cabling, for future-proof network.
I already got Ethernet cabling for al bedrooms, plan is to hardwire the mesh network, decided to go with CAT5E though.

Good point about the family room, I’ll consider getting speakers hardwired. I plan to get Potlights and waffle ceiling in that room, however I imagine with a home theatre rear and front speakers setup, these will be in the walls and not the ceilings.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11745 posts
6929 upvotes
Paris
I would do surround in ceiling rough in and forget the rest. I use in ceiling speakers for my surrounds as my living/family/kitchen is essentially all one room.
Jan 19, 2017
784 posts
865 upvotes
Kitchener
If you do go with ceiling speakers, have them insulate the ceilings in that location to avoid sound travel up to the above floor. If its not too expensive, I'd rough it in. Something that can't be easily added later.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
3511 posts
67 upvotes
Bowmanville
I had my builder rough in ceiling speakers for living room and installed myself after. Ended up paying less than half of what was quoted for them to put the speakers in.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35850 posts
9174 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I had ceiling speakers roughed in throughout the house. Total waste of money. After I moved in, I was broke and was going to slowly set everything up. Got a server and receiver installed for music, just didn’t get the speakers yet

... then google happened

Now I have google minis in every bedroom and Google Homes on the main floor. Pay 36$ per year for family plan music subscription and it works better than anything I could setup.

I also had surround setup for the family room, purchased a 65” TV 4 years ago. The TV is still sitting in a box in the dinning room unopened. Everyone wants to watch their own thing on their iPads

I am not saying that is going to happen to you. But for speakers, get Google, or Alexa, don’t bother with in wall speakers

It won’t be audiophile quality, but it’s good enough
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
905 posts
415 upvotes
Gee wrote: I had ceiling speakers roughed in throughout the house. Total waste of money. After I moved in, I was broke and was going to slowly set everything up. Got a server and receiver installed for music, just didn’t get the speakers yet

... then google happened

Now I have google minis in every bedroom and Google Homes on the main floor. Pay 36$ per year for family plan music subscription and it works better than anything I could setup.

I also had surround setup for the family room, purchased a 65” TV 4 years ago. The TV is still sitting in a box in the dinning room unopened. Everyone wants to watch their own thing on their iPads

I am not saying that is going to happen to you. But for speakers, get Google, or Alexa, don’t bother with in wall speakers

Great point. I've been hearing great things about Sonos speakers and considering investing in a few of these. For the family room, I'll do a good soundbar and wireless sub as someone else suggested. And if I have the itch for a real home theatre for movies, I can do that over time in the basement.

Thanks everyone.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11745 posts
6929 upvotes
Paris
Gee wrote: I had ceiling speakers roughed in throughout the house. Total waste of money. After I moved in, I was broke and was going to slowly set everything up. Got a server and receiver installed for music, just didn’t get the speakers yet

... then google happened

A 65” TV 4 years ago would certainly have made you broke.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)