• Nov 19th, 2018 11:15 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1500 posts
749 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 10:15 am

So it goes from raw to edible just like that? How long do you have to dehydrate?

and can I dehydrate anything? salmon, chicken, pork, ?
You will need to follow the instructions for the specific dehydrator for times. It varies on humidity, temperature, thickness of meat, etc It’s not magic in terms of ‘just like that’. I marinade over night or two nights at least, then dehydrating varies.

I have down mostly beef, fruits and veggies. I am chicken to do chicken and other meats.
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 10:16 am
how much is a dehydrator? how long do you dehyrate? It goes from raw to edible just like that?

Can I do this with chicken, pork, fish?
Again, do your research. YMMV for your needs. I bought mine 20 + years ago, so have no idea. Now, with the internet there are options to do it in your oven. I would have done this if the internet was available then.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 2:18 pm
You will need to follow the instructions for the specific dehydrator for times. It varies on humidity, temperature, thickness of meat, etc It’s not magic in terms of ‘just like that’. I marinade over night or two nights at least, then dehydrating varies.

I have down mostly beef, fruits and veggies. I am chicken to do chicken and other meats.

Again, do your research. YMMV for your needs. I bought mine 20 + years ago, so have no idea. Now, with the internet there are options to do it in your oven. I would have done this if the internet was available then.
how fresh does the jerky stay, or does it need to be air vacuum sealed?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1500 posts
749 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 2:26 pm
how fresh does the jerky stay, or does it need to be air vacuum sealed?
Vacuum sealed does make it last longest. You can use good mason jars too. It really depends on how much moisture is left in. I personally like my jerky more moist, and I also some times add a little honey glaze near the end. I have noticed that it doesn’t seem to last as long. I would guess a month or two. We don’t have it around that long because we eat it.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 3:47 pm
Vacuum sealed does make it last longest. You can use good mason jars too. It really depends on how much moisture is left in. I personally like my jerky more moist, and I also some times add a little honey glaze near the end. I have noticed that it doesn’t seem to last as long. I would guess a month or two. We don’t have it around that long because we eat it.
yea, jerky tastes better a little moist, like hot rods
I looked into it and it looked quite expensive, might just get them at Costco.

is there anything you can do to moisten the store bought ones? or is it too late for that?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1500 posts
749 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 4:00 pm
yea, jerky tastes better a little moist, like hot rods
I looked into it and it looked quite expensive, might just get them at Costco.

is there anything you can do to moisten the store bought ones? or is it too late for that?
You buy a brand that is more moist. Rehydrating to the ‘right’ moistness without screwing up the taste. Is harder than making it. I have ono6 tried to rehydrate jerky tha5 was really old (almost unedible) to a not awful edible state. Not to make it better.

Also, in terms of costs, you have to look at not the price of the machine but also how much beef jerky do you consume and is it worth it to make it. I made 20 lbs once, which I think covered the cost of the machine. I don’t make it very often now, because we don’t eat it as much.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6489 posts
1833 upvotes
Markham
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 12:51 pm
hm I may make the trip, thats not far at all

it seems my shoppers is not a fan of clearance prices.. $6 each
THE SWEET CHIPOTLE ONE EXPIRED IN JANUARY.

If you tell the manager it's expired and offer him a buck, he'd probably take it as he's supposed to throw it out.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 6:06 pm
If you tell the manager it's expired and offer him a buck, he'd probably take it as he's supposed to throw it out.
yea, I was told if its past expiry they can't sell it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 5:10 pm
You buy a brand that is more moist. Rehydrating to the ‘right’ moistness without screwing up the taste. Is harder than making it. I have ono6 tried to rehydrate jerky tha5 was really old (almost unedible) to a not awful edible state. Not to make it better.

Also, in terms of costs, you have to look at not the price of the machine but also how much beef jerky do you consume and is it worth it to make it. I made 20 lbs once, which I think covered the cost of the machine. I don’t make it very often now, because we don’t eat it as much.
Got some jack links tender cut jerky and regular Smokey flavour ones WOW
I think the gas station jerky was stale, these are insanely tender. Even the regular ones

How much does 20lbs cost to make? And is that 20lbs before or after dehydrating? How much weight did the beef lose after dehydrating?
nataliya64605 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 5:56 pm
What about dehydrating your own
I make it every two week out of the 2kg of flank from Costco
What dehydrator do you have? and what does the 2kg of flank turn into weight of beef jerky, and cost?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1500 posts
749 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 9:07 pm
I think the gas station jerky was stale, these are insanely tender. Even the regular ones

How much does 20lbs cost to make? And is that 20lbs before or after dehydrating? How much weight did the beef lose after dehydrating?

YMMV. it depends on how much you buy your meat for. I will get the butcher to slice some of my meat when I buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow with friends and family. I probably pay $3-4 / lbs. 20lbs raw meat will give me about 10 lbs maybe a little less of beef jerky. So probably $6- 8 /lbs of jerky. I don’t count the marinade ingredients becuase I always have them on hand for my other cooking. If you don’t cook. You will have to add the ingredients in your costs. You can look up you own marinades
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 12:39 am
YMMV. it depends on how much you buy your meat for. I will get the butcher to slice some of my meat when I buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow with friends and family. I probably pay $3-4 / lbs. 20lbs raw meat will give me about 10 lbs maybe a little less of beef jerky. So probably $6- 8 /lbs of jerky. I don’t count the marinade ingredients becuase I always have them on hand for my other cooking. If you don’t cook. You will have to add the ingredients in your costs. You can look up you own marinades
wow so that ends up being the same as the packaged stuff for me (the cheapest meat I can get for jerky is top round, which is $6/$7) So if it doubles thats $12/$14 for 1lb of jerky + prep time, ingredients, dehydrator

last question, does home made jerky tastes better that store bought? (assuming it's made by someone that can't cook)

A huge plus of home made is being able to change the marinade/seasoning to lower sodium. A SMALL pack of jerky has 2000mgs a bag. which is less than a 1/4lb. Eating 1lb of jack links jerky is like, 10,000mg's of sodium.

I usually don't care about sodium, stuff like 2000,3000mg, but 10,000mg from a snack has to be un-healthy. Equivalent to about eating 4-6 bags of chips, depending what kind you get. REGULAR BAGS, not SNACK SIZE.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1500 posts
749 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 7:51 am
wow so that ends up being the same as the packaged stuff for me (the cheapest meat I can get for jerky is top round, which is $6/$7) So if it doubles thats $12/$14 for 1lb of jerky + prep time, ingredients, dehydrator

last question, does home made jerky tastes better that store bought? (assuming it's made by someone that can't cook)

A huge plus of home made is being able to change the marinade/seasoning to lower sodium. A SMALL pack of jerky has 2000mgs a bag. which is less than a 1/4lb. Eating 1lb of jack links jerky is like, 10,000mg's of sodium.

I usually don't care about sodium, stuff like 2000,3000mg, but 10,000mg from a snack has to be un-healthy. Equivalent to about eating 4-6 bags of chips, depending what kind you get. REGULAR BAGS, not SNACK SIZE.
First, you are paying way to much for meat. I can get prime rib at that price on sale. If you are buying everything at regular or high prices, then I would bother.

Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 1st, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: uncalled for
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 8:27 am
First, you are paying way to much for meat. I can get prime rib at that price on sale. If you are buying everything at regular or high prices, then I would bother.

I mean...I don't have anywhere to store a half cow...so I guess I pay more than you

Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 1st, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Apr 4, 2012
517 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 9:07 pm

What dehydrator do you have? and what does the 2kg of flank turn into weight of beef jerky, and cost?
I have the Excalibur, with 9 trays, its a few bills, but there are cheaper ones. It would be about a 2:1 ratio so 2kg raw meat is about 1kg jerky. I cant remember how much it is per kg at Costco but I plan to get more this weekend so ll update you.

I would try the oven method before committing to a dehydrator, I also use if for a lot more than just meat, fruits, veggies etc, even drying sprouted wheat to make flour.

I eat a lot of it, so the better taste, playing with different flavours, experimenting with drying times, marinading times, you can use different cuts of meat, different animals, there is a lot to play with, and since I control what ingredients goes in, I feel better about eating so much of it and giving it to my kids.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2616 posts
787 upvotes
nataliya64605 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 1:28 pm
I have the Excalibur, with 9 trays, its a few bills, but there are cheaper ones. It would be about a 2:1 ratio so 2kg raw meat is about 1kg jerky. I cant remember how much it is per kg at Costco but I plan to get more this weekend so ll update you.

I would try the oven method before committing to a dehydrator, I also use if for a lot more than just meat, fruits, veggies etc, even drying sprouted wheat to make flour.

I eat a lot of it, so the better taste, playing with different flavours, experimenting with drying times, marinading times, you can use different cuts of meat, different animals, there is a lot to play with, and since I control what ingredients goes in, I feel better about eating so much of it and giving it to my kids.
being able to control what goes in is key. MSG is used a lot in beef jerky (so ive read). Not really a fan. Also usually lower sodium beef jerky have more sugar (to make up for taste) which is just as bad. If I made beef jerky I'd keep it just salt, and seasoning. No soy or high sodium foods. I like the taste of beef, although, my fear is I'll waste a ton of food if its not palatable.

If I got a dehydrator, I'd dry fruits and veggies too. I saw some dehydrated brocolli chips in the states.