1978 posts
1587 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Omakase wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:17 am
Leslie south of steeles where the Pickle Barrel is
SDM always sends me an online receipt copy
There were 8-10 packs of each left
Didn't know that. So you tell the cashier you want the reciept sent online?
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1166 posts
1072 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 8:45 am
Didn't know that. So you tell the cashier you want the reciept sent online?
actually the cashier asked me as she can see my email based on my optimum membership
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1978 posts
1587 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 7:12 pm
yea, I was told if its past expiry they can't sell it.
If it is expired it should still be ok if there is no mould on it. The high salt content in it helps preserve it. I have Jack Links jerky about half to three quarters of a year part the expiry date and it was still good. It also depends where you stored it. If you kept it in a warm/hot place (ie no A/C and living on the top floor of the house) then the life span would be shorter however if it was stored in a cool/dark place it can last long. Would not surprise me if Shoppers Drugmart throws the jerky into thier bin out back of the store so if there is a lot of jerky expired then check the bins after hours. Never done back before but have heard a lot of people scoring sealed free food that way.

If you make your own jerky how long it lasts depends on the amount of moisture in the jerky as well as the salt content. If you dry the jerky to bone snap dry then it will last the longest if you vaccum sealed or put into a canning jar and vaccum sealed it or buy off amazon oxygen absorber packs. If you don't have a vaccum sealer then the oxygen absorber packs will help. I've never used those before but I think you'll need 3-5 oxygen absorber packages pending the size of jar.

You can find dehydrators and vaccum sealers at Value Village. You just need to frequent often (ie once a week or maybe twice) different locations to up your chances of finding one. You may luck out finding a vaccume sealer that works as good as new or like me found one that worked 70% where the vac+auto sealing did not work as well as that mode only vac'ed out 70-80% air. However the foodsaver model I found had a 'canning' mode and I could manual override seal the bag as well so I just ended up using the canning mode and it vac'ed out all the air and would not stop vaccing so I manual overrided with the sealer mode and got my stuff sealed well. Sure it's 1-2 extra steps to take then a one button press vac+seal but then again I wasn't paying like $100-110 for this model and paid IIRC $9.99 so I can't complain there. I often see the 'seal a meal' vacsealers at Value Village so check around.

Walmart sells some cheaper vacseal bags by the company 'Everyday Essentials' IIRC. I bought a package of two rolls for I think $7.99 or maybe $9.99. Have not used it yet but way cheaper then the food saver stuff.

Also look up Alton Browns dehydrator method on Youtube. He had a show called 'Good Eats' before. It is a DIY dehydrator he made.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3057 posts
1036 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 9:19 am
If it is expired it should still be ok if there is no mould on it. The high salt content in it helps preserve it. I have Jack Links jerky about half to three quarters of a year part the expiry date and it was still good. It also depends where you stored it. If you kept it in a warm/hot place (ie no A/C and living on the top floor of the house) then the life span would be shorter however if it was stored in a cool/dark place it can last long. Would not surprise me if Shoppers Drugmart throws the jerky into thier bin out back of the store so if there is a lot of jerky expired then check the bins after hours. Never done back before but have heard a lot of people scoring sealed free food that way.

If you make your own jerky how long it lasts depends on the amount of moisture in the jerky as well as the salt content. If you dry the jerky to bone snap dry then it will last the longest if you vaccum sealed or put into a canning jar and vaccum sealed it or buy off amazon oxygen absorber packs. If you don't have a vaccum sealer then the oxygen absorber packs will help. I've never used those before but I think you'll need 3-5 oxygen absorber packages pending the size of jar.

You can find dehydrators and vaccum sealers at Value Village. You just need to frequent often (ie once a week or maybe twice) different locations to up your chances of finding one. You may luck out finding a vaccume sealer that works as good as new or like me found one that worked 70% where the vac+auto sealing did not work as well as that mode only vac'ed out 70-80% air. However the foodsaver model I found had a 'canning' mode and I could manual override seal the bag as well so I just ended up using the canning mode and it vac'ed out all the air and would not stop vaccing so I manual overrided with the sealer mode and got my stuff sealed well. Sure it's 1-2 extra steps to take then a one button press vac+seal but then again I wasn't paying like $100-110 for this model and paid IIRC $9.99 so I can't complain there. I often see the 'seal a meal' vacsealers at Value Village so check around.

Walmart sells some cheaper vacseal bags by the company 'Everyday Essentials' IIRC. I bought a package of two rolls for I think $7.99 or maybe $9.99. Have not used it yet but way cheaper then the food saver stuff.

Also look up Alton Browns dehydrator method on Youtube. He had a show called 'Good Eats' before. It is a DIY dehydrator he made.
I watch Alton brown a lot on YouTube. It randomly shows up in my recommended, probably because all I watch if food videos on YouTube. He is pretty funny and makes cooking seem easy. I have yet to try cooking any of his recipes though. I’ll check out his beef jerky video!!

Also just to update, freshco at majormackenzie and Leslie has 50% off leave beef jerky! They had 3 flavours left of the leave brand. They had pepper, chipotle. And leave pork jerky teriyaki.

Regular price was $6 so $3 a bag. They expire March 31st. At least the pepper one does (only one I read). They had about 20 bags of each left on Saturday. They also have $2 Cheetos and Doritos this week. (Ends today)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
1027 posts
73 upvotes
Can i still use the oven method if my oven doesnt have the fan mode?
Heatware : Chuckdeg
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9634 posts
2280 upvotes
big johns beef jerky from the US, its really good.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2383 posts
674 upvotes
Windsor
rocking23nf wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 4:27 pm
big johns beef jerky from the US, its really good.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've done my own jerky, and have tasted a ton of different ones, and Big John's is among the best. If you value your time in any way, making your own jerky will end up costing you at least as much as buying it pre-made.

The primary reason to make it yourself is just as a fun hobby, or because you can't find jerky that you like.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3057 posts
1036 upvotes
larry81 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 12:54 pm
Anyone still looking for jerky bulk orders in Canada ? I stumbled upon these guys:
https://albertajerky.com/

Beef Jerky (1/2 Pound) $15.97 CAD

Any suggestion ?
Depending on how much you eat that might be good to get
But if you don’t eat enough to put Walmart’s in your area out of stock they have jumbo jack links and cheaper

a tiny bit over 1/2 a lb for $11
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/jack-links ... 0197071283
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
BKH Jerky hands down!

But ever since the Dragons Den made them famous, its too expensive. $28 for 1lb...

And this is not your typical dry as f jerky, this is Singapore style so its saucy and moist and delicious.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5540 posts
1710 upvotes
Aurora
Seems like a fun thread to post the steps for my Asian style "bak kwa" pork jerky pics even though it's probably off topic. About 4 pounds of ground pork costing about 4 bucks.
20180917_134402.jpg
20180917_134632.jpg
20180917_135209.jpg
20180917_140559.jpg
20180917_140704.jpg
20180917_144000.jpg
20180917_145226.jpg
20180917_150747.jpg
20180917_154212.jpg
20180917_155438.jpg
20180917_155612.jpg
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:13 pm
Seems like a fun thread to post the steps for my Asian style "bak kwa" pork jerky pics even though it's probably off topic. About 4 pounds of ground pork costing about 4 bucks.
That looks good actually!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5540 posts
1710 upvotes
Aurora
BenzDude11 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 5:37 pm
That looks good actually!
Thanks. And you're right, the jerky was pretty damned good! I love jerky and just got tired of paying $10 for 100g, or whatever the retail price was. So I learned to make both western and Asian style jerky's at home and it now cost me a small fraction of store bought. It's not very difficult and it tastes good, too.
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:55 am
Thanks. And you're right, the jerky was pretty damned good! I love jerky and just got tired of paying $10 for 100g, or whatever the retail price was. So I learned to make both western and Asian style jerky's at home and it now cost me a small fraction of store bought. It's not very difficult and it tastes good, too.
I'm gonna make this now. Gonna find a good Youtube receipe and try it out. I love Asian style jerky over the Western dry bark jerky