• Aug 3rd, 2019 10:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2902 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto

Bulk Cayenne powder

Another ask - anyone have a good source of bulk cayenne powder GTA or online.

Raccoons have been fighting and dancing on our roof at night. Sources say cayenne is a good deterrent.

Anyone have a good source for bulk cayenne (other than Bulk Barn)?
3 replies
Nov 14, 2007
12 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't work for us. We bought almost a kilo from No Frills. The problem is that it washes away easily, and while the raccoons don't like it, they'll be back after the first rain.
We've had better luck with the coyote urine solution, which is granular limestone infused with coyote pee. I have no idea how they convince the coyotes to stand still, but that's not my problem. It's not cheap ($20/8oz), but is available in many "nature stores" and is labelled as a dog training aid as it's not licensed as a pest deterrent. I've seen it on Amazon.ca too. This product lasts longer than cayenne and doesn't need to be applied everywhere - just where the raccoons are likely to encounter it. We reapply it weekly (about two teaspoons total in clumps for about 3 meters linearly). Our problem was pretty bad - the raccoons were using the back our deck as a latrine in mulberry season.
May 24, 2017
842 posts
585 upvotes
GTA
No Frills is where I buy bulk package of cayenne pepper. Yes it might wash away. Just re-apply. Its cheap !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2902 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
Banderschwatz wrote: Didn't work for us. We bought almost a kilo from No Frills. The problem is that it washes away easily, and while the raccoons don't like it, they'll be back after the first rain.
We've had better luck with the coyote urine solution, which is granular limestone infused with coyote pee. I have no idea how they convince the coyotes to stand still, but that's not my problem. It's not cheap ($20/8oz), but is available in many "nature stores" and is labelled as a dog training aid as it's not licensed as a pest deterrent. I've seen it on Amazon.ca too. This product lasts longer than cayenne and doesn't need to be applied everywhere - just where the raccoons are likely to encounter it. We reapply it weekly (about two teaspoons total in clumps for about 3 meters linearly). Our problem was pretty bad - the raccoons were using the back our deck as a latrine in mulberry season.
Great idea. I already found "Extra-Hot Pepper" powder but the coyote urine is a good idea!