[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12631 posts
4430 upvotes
Toronto

'Bumblebee' Transformers spin off Dec 21 2018

tk1000 wrote: TRANSFORMERS 6 Is Acutally A Bumblebee Spinoff

"During an investor conference call, Hasbro confirmed that the 2018 Transformers film is actually a spinoff focusing on everyone's favorite, yellow Chevy Camaro, Bumblebee."
Paramount lines up Kubo and the Two Strings director for the initial expansion of the Hasbro film universe

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/t ... tor-978829
Last edited by jenviea on Mar 3rd, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
61 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12631 posts
4430 upvotes
Toronto
Paramount has solidified a release date for their first Transformers spin off film with wrestler John Cena joining the cast

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ee-1025411

THR's report also includes a synopsis indicating older Transformers fans may finally see BB as a VW beetle

"The story is set in the year 1987, where Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small California beach town. Charlie (Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary yellow VW bug."
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2870 posts
763 upvotes
Trailer is out. Interesting. The bot designs look a bit simplier than the mess that they look like in other movies. And is that Starscream? Looks way better and actually looks like the seeker we know.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Dec 22, 2014
937 posts
288 upvotes
Regina, SK
Looks like Starscream with something more reminiscent of his original colour scheme. Hopefully this will turn out good and lead to a new and improved Transformers movie universe.

edit - didn't see @sharpshooter88's full post before commenting. Looks like we found the same thing to be the highlight of the trailer.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1941 posts
539 upvotes
At least he looks like a jet but why can't they copy the exact look of what all the transformers were like in G1? I remember starscream was an F-14 tomcat and when transformed in robot mode he still maintained the look of his jet components. He had air intakes protruding from his shoulders and wings on his back, with a robotic human type mask face. Megatron was a bloody gun, Soundwave was a sony walkman, Constucticons were trucks etc lol.

All of these distortions, rape of aesthetics of G1 Transformers makes me vomit. I should start a crowdfunding campaign to create a movie using all original design, sounds and transformations, makes me so mad! The voice characters playing the main characters are so old they will die soon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
astrotrain wrote: At least he looks like a jet but why can't they copy the exact look of what all the transformers were like in G1? I remember starscream was an F-14 tomcat and when transformed in robot mode he still maintained the look of his jet components. He had air intakes protruding from his shoulders and wings on his back, with a robotic human type mask face. Megatron was a bloody gun, Soundwave was a sony walkman, Constucticons were trucks etc lol.

All of these distortions, rape of aesthetics of G1 Transformers makes me vomit. I should start a crowdfunding campaign to create a movie using all original design, sounds and transformations, makes me so mad! The voice characters playing the main characters are so old they will die soon.

You want the studio to transform Soundwave into a Walkman, something nobody under the age of 30 is going to know what the hell is? 'dad what is a Walkman?' 'dad what is a cassette player????'
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18790 posts
2067 upvotes
Kinda looks like a modified Jeep CJ-3B with JK slots.

astrotrain wrote: At least he looks like a jet but why can't they copy the exact look of what all the transformers were like in G1? I remember starscream was an F-14 tomcat and when transformed in robot mode he still maintained the look of his jet components. He had air intakes protruding from his shoulders and wings on his back, with a robotic human type mask face. Megatron was a bloody gun, Soundwave was a sony walkman, Constucticons were trucks etc lol.

There's probably some licensing issues.

badOne wrote: You want the studio to transform Soundwave into a Walkman, something nobody under the age of 30 is going to know what the hell is? 'dad what is a Walkman?' 'dad what is a cassette player????'
They did end the trailer with a cassette.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11843 posts
2377 upvotes
Haz wrote: Kinda looks like a modified Jeep CJ-3B with JK slots.

Bumblebee has 2 very different looks in the trailer. I don't know if it's another transformer or he gets a makeover half way through the movie (with 80s style montage maybe?).

Seems like this movie is closer to G1 than any other movie. It's never going back all the way to G1 and certain characters just can't come back (being dated or offensive). Also you're looking at G1 through rose colored glasses. The toys had so many boxy, half assed characters that the cartoon wouldn't/couldn't replicate how bad the they looked. If it's the cartoon, then there were so many mistakes and inconsistencies that it looked like the show just didn't care. Like how Megatron in gun form can fit in Starscream's hand and the two of them with many others can fit inside Astrotrain. Not to mention all the mistakes in coloring, voice work and animation.

For me as long as Starscream looks like the G1 Starscream, I won't complain. From what I can see, the good: red chest with orange cockpit, the inverted wings, and the transformation is taken from G1. The Bad: intakes are not there because it looks like that isn't the F-15 (F-14 is Top Gun, BTW).... maybe F-16? I dunno much about jets, but not a fan that they didn't use the F-15. Some good, one bad... I'll hold out judgement until there's a full screen shot of Starscream.

Side note: The dark grey-ish body on Starscream, makes it more similar to the cartoon rather than toy. The Masterpiece Starscream also used the darker grey coloring (exact same as cartoon) and it turned off a lot of fans. It's funny that many people remember the Starscream toy more than the cartoon... yet remember the Megatron cartoon more than the toy(with the trigger penis). Anyways, when they released the Masterpiece toy for the American audience, Starscream was a light grey like the original toy. I wonder... is this movie making the same mistake?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4513 posts
1436 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Bumblebee has 2 very different looks in the trailer. I don't know if it's another transformer or he gets a makeover half way through the movie (with 80s style montage maybe?).
I'll forgive you of you didn't watch the mess that was Transformers: The Last Knight, but in that movie it was revealed that Bumblebee (and Hot Rod) both worked with the Allies as part of a special strikeforce against the Nazis. Could be that maybe BB took the form of a military jeep during or after the war...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2870 posts
763 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: I'll forgive you of you didn't watch the mess that was Transformers: The Last Knight, but in that movie it was revealed that Bumblebee (and Hot Rod) both worked with the Allies as part of a special strikeforce against the Nazis. Could be that maybe BB took the form of a military jeep during or after the war...
If this movie is good, I'd rather they use this as the new starting point and reboot the series from here. Let's rid ourselves of Michael Bay and everything we inherited from his crappy franchise.

And all the complaints about the characters not looking exactly like G1 is silly. As long as it resembles their G1 look, similar to how Starscream looks in the trailer, I'll be very happy.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5026 posts
1202 upvotes
Has John Cena in it ..... Should be very, very good. The best.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."