• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 11:18 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 1, 2020
2 posts

Bumblebees beneath vinyl siding

Hi there

I have discovered a number of bumblebees coming in and out of a couple of locations at the bottom of my vinyl siding, where the starter strip is. I've spoken to local beekeepers and they say the nest will die on its own in the fall, so I'm inclined to leave it, at my wife's request :)

My question is how to avoid it next year. What would be the best way to seal the gap between the bottom of the vinyl siding and the house?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3577 posts
942 upvotes
SeanW70629 wrote: Hi there

I have discovered a number of bumblebees coming in and out of a couple of locations at the bottom of my vinyl siding, where the starter strip is. I've spoken to local beekeepers and they say the nest will die on its own in the fall, so I'm inclined to leave it, at my wife's request :)

My question is how to avoid it next year. What would be the best way to seal the gap between the bottom of the vinyl siding and the house?
Without seeing the gap, my guess would be caulking or foam would do the trick to close it up.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

The bee's nest will be inside of the wall. You need to unhinge the vinyl siding to find the hole in the wall & plug that hole with silicone sealant. Use this tool to unclip the vinyl panels from each other, lots of you tube videos on how to do this.
https://www.rona.ca/en/sideswiper-sidin ... l-39205018
What type of silicone sealant? I have similar similar issue but the bees ar coming our of porch roof where vinyl meets the front door

I see bees flying out one hole. Should I wait until fall? Or seal now? Is there any chance I can screw things up?
[OP]
Jul 1, 2020
2 posts
So the bees in my siding are definitely bumblebees. The local beekeeper association has told me the nest will only live about 6 weeks and then everything dies, including the queen.

It looks like they are getting in under the place where a starter strip should be. Based on some of the issues I have found in this home (the builder wasn't the best it appears), I am wondering if the starter strip does not go all the way across the wall.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure that foam or caulking at the bottom of the first piece of siding and the wall was ok to prevent further occurrences.

This is what is happening:
https://www.amazon.ca/clouddrive/share/ ... 9SsDZ2BEgq
Bees
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
SeanW70629 wrote: So the bees in my siding are definitely bumblebees. The local beekeeper association has told me the nest will only live about 6 weeks and then everything dies, including the queen.

It looks like they are getting in under the place where a starter strip should be. Based on some of the issues I have found in this home (the builder wasn't the best it appears), I am wondering if the starter strip does not go all the way across the wall.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure that foam or caulking at the bottom of the first piece of siding and the wall was ok to prevent further occurrences.

This is what is happening:
https://www.amazon.ca/clouddrive/share/ ... 9SsDZ2BEgq
Bees
Bumble Bees are not like wasps whom typically do not reuse old nests or another colony's nest. Your best option is to remove the siding and give it a good inspection and remove the hive. Another queen could use that old nest. Bees will also use other soft materials when nest building, so you'll want to inspect for any damages.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jan 7, 2013
827 posts
497 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
I don't think you should have that mulch piled so high up to the vinyl siding, FYI. Another path for moisture to get behind and accumulate behind the siding.

I would just follow the beekeepers advice and wait it out. Let the bees do their job. If they come back, then explore other options
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
SeanW70629 wrote:
Foam or caulking there will interfere with your sidings ability to shed any water that gets behind it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)