• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 3:52 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
211 posts
143 upvotes
SW Ontario

Bumper Scratched On Rental ..? Insurance Advice

Bumper on a rental was scratched in parking lot by someone ? Looks bad then scratch will need to be repainted one corner, not dented or broken though .
Didnt take coverage from rental Enterprise ,my credit card covers . In reality is it easy process to deal with it .Any experience dealing with insurance thru credit cards ..? Tx
Dont have estimate yet but rental company already charged 500 for Damage/Deductable from my card.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17268 posts
15055 upvotes
GTA, ON
Call your credit card and make a claim. They will handle everything. Don't sign anything from the rental company until you have spoken to the CC and their associated insurance agent.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
211 posts
143 upvotes
SW Ontario
chimaican wrote: Call your credit card and make a claim. They will handle everything. Don't sign anything from the rental company until you have spoken to the CC and their associated insurance agent.
Did it Tx . Credit card company in their claim form are asking for personal auto insurance details too , any reason why , are we obligated to disclose that ..?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17268 posts
15055 upvotes
GTA, ON
Mastero wrote: Did it Tx . Credit card company in their claim form are asking for personal auto insurance details too , any reason why , are we obligated to disclose that ..?
Call them and enquire.

Could be just standard procedure (i.e. if someone had personal injury) or they might tap into your personal auto insurance first, like when auto insurance taps into your personal health benefits first in a MVA (motor vehicle accident) situation:

https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/rental-car-insurance
Credit card insurance is always secondary insurance, so if you, your work, or the rental car company has another policy that covers loss and damage, that will kick in first and any remaining amount will be covered by your card’s policy.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4347 posts
1441 upvotes
Brampton
I would buff it out before returning and hope they don't notice, but that's just me I guess.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15129 upvotes
prod wrote: I would buff it out before returning and hope they don't notice, but that's just me I guess.
A good idea but In this case it seems like the car has already been returned and the damage found...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4482 posts
3394 upvotes
Edmonton
chimaican wrote: Call them and enquire.

Could be just standard procedure (i.e. if someone had personal injury) or they might tap into your personal auto insurance first, like when auto insurance taps into your personal health benefits first in a MVA (motor vehicle accident) situation:

https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/rental-car-insurance
That last quote is a bunch of nonsense. If the rental company has coverage on their vehicles, it will definitely not kick in first. You sign a contract with the rental and assume liability for all damage to the vehicle while in your possession.

I have handled a pile of these claims & never had any issue with rental insurance trying to stiff someone by putting the claim on somebody’s personal insurance.

The issue cannot really be determined without seeing the wording of the credit card insurance.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4482 posts
3394 upvotes
Edmonton
Mastero wrote: Bumper on a rental was scratched in parking lot by someone ? Looks bad then scratch will need to be repainted one corner, not dented or broken though .
Didnt take coverage from rental Enterprise ,my credit card covers . In reality is it easy process to deal with it .Any experience dealing with insurance thru credit cards ..? Tx
Dont have estimate yet but rental company already charged 500 for Damage/Deductable from my card.
What is the credit card and brand?
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
211 posts
143 upvotes
SW Ontario
It is TD Business Travel Visa.
Curious why has rental company charged 500 deductible from me if I am dealing with my credit card insurance?
Would they refund later ..? Tx
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
Mastero wrote: Did it Tx . Credit card company in their claim form are asking for personal auto insurance details too , any reason why , are we obligated to disclose that ..?
Have you read/browsed/peeked inyo your TD Visa Insurance Certificate?

B. Collision/Loss Damage Covers
This coverage does NOT include loss arising directly or indirectly from:
1. a replacement vehicle for which Your personal automobile insurance is covering all
or part of the cost of the rental;

If the rental car, which happens to be a replacement car, is stolen you won't be able to get 60K from your CC insurance and another 60K from your personal insurance.
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
Mastero wrote: It is TD Business Travel Visa.
Curious why has rental company charged 500 deductible from me if I am dealing with my credit card insurance?
Would they refund later ..? Tx
If the damage will be $2K they'll only charge (another) $1.5K to your CC since they already charged 500. If there isn't any damage they refund the $500 (in which case the initial $500 was a deposit). In any case why do you care how much they charge your CC or how do they call the charge? Got it, just curious.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
211 posts
143 upvotes
SW Ontario
Ttn545 wrote: Got it, just curious.
Got it Tx - I know curiosity killed the cat .☺️
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5877 posts
5057 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Mastero wrote: Got it Tx - I know curiosity killed the cat .☺️
Really? What did the cat want to know?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)